i have my pvm as a t hunter.
Provo
Music
Cartography
Lockpicking
Magery
Meditation
And currently hiding

But I’m struggling with that last skill and want to replace it with something better. So I want to change hiding for:
I think the possibilities are
evaluating int
Wrestling for defense
Resist for defense
Or why not do inscription?

This character has no defense at all. If I go eval then it gives me a little more firepower but I don’t think it’s worth it. I just don’t want to die with this character. I also take him to dungeons to farm sometimes as well.
I’ve read all the forums about this build and a lot of people recommend resist as it helps with the high end t maps like lvl 5 and 6.
Some say wrestling for the physical defense
But I say why not GM inscription?
On the high end maps I can cast reflect and that would be better than resist?
Same with magic armor if I need it plus those bonuses with inscription are amazing.
And when I’m in a dungeon I can leave protection up so if a pk comes I can recall away without fail.

Thoughts?

One Eye

Expert
I use hiding and fight mobs with other toon. Summon deamon at start and hide. Use other toon and attack mobs while occupied. Prov mobs on to each other to help out other toon.

ryan916

Neophyte
I use hiding and fight mobs with other toon. Summon deamon at start and hide. Use other toon and attack mobs while occupied. Prov mobs on to each other to help out other toon.
That’s for the reply. I’m good at doing tmaps I got it down. And at lvl 5-6 maps they instant aggro and sometimes I can’t hide so I’d rather have some defense. Also when I go to dungeons to farm I’d like some way to escape better than hiding

One Eye

Expert
Try wrestling very easy skill to gain, if you don’t like it try inscription. I have inscription on my meta mage and it has helped out a lot when fighting higher lvl mobs.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I juggled back and forth between resist & wrestling, and I settled on wrestling..
I justified it like this:
  • Majority of solo PK's are dexxers, wrestling will go a long way in your survival.. Wrestle > Resist.. Inscription is more than a capable substitute with protection.. But you need to make sure it's up, i'd probably rather take my chances with wrestling..
  • When pulling up chests, mobs spawn on top of you, you are more likely to die from 1-2 shot from mobs, than a couple of spells by the time you off screen.. You can dig up chests while mounted (if you use the dig from the map). Wrestling > Resist in this scenario - or I always found..
  • There are more melee mobs on chests, than magic mobs.. Wrestling > Resist
I recently actually removed wrestling from my template, and added fishing, so he's an all in one pirate now..

https://www.uoforum.com/threads/treasure-hunting-with-efficiency.98441/

ryan916

Neophyte
Try wrestling very easy skill to gain, if you don’t like it try inscription. I have inscription on my meta mage and it has helped out a lot when fighting higher lvl mobs.
Thanks for the reply. Money is not an issue now so I could do inscription. I’m still thinking about it.

ryan916

Neophyte
I juggled back and forth between resist & wrestling, and I settled on wrestling..
I justified it like this:
  • Majority of solo PK's are dexxers, wrestling will go a long way in your survival.. Wrestle > Resist.. Inscription is more than a capable substitute with protection.. But you need to make sure it's up, i'd probably rather take my chances with wrestling..
  • When pulling up chests, mobs spawn on top of you, you are more likely to die from 1-2 shot from mobs, than a couple of spells by the time you off screen.. You can dig up chests while mounted (if you use the dig from the map). Wrestling > Resist in this scenario - or I always found..
  • There are more melee mobs on chests, than magic mobs.. Wrestling > Resist
I recently actually removed wrestling from my template, and added fishing, so he's an all in one pirate now..

https://www.uoforum.com/threads/treasure-hunting-with-efficiency.98441/
Did not know that about being mounted. Good to know. And thanks for the advice. I’m still thinking about it.

I only have hiding on a tmapper when I plan on using another character to clear spawn. On my solo tmapper I run with eval instead. If you time it just right you can cast invis before the chest finishes digging up.

What I do is wait for the digging “ticks” to reach the point where the chest pops partially out of ground. This would be “tick 1”, tick 2 it pops up a little more, 3 a little more, 4 it should be fully out of the ground, and 5 it should lift up off the ground a little, which is when the mobs spawn. You want to begin casting invisibility just after the fourth tick, and something like 90% of the time you will get your target cursor up just as the monsters spawn. Every now and then a paragon will spawn and interrupt you with their quicker targeting, but I just run away quick and invis then.

(I hope I got this right, not currently at computer but when I get home I will make sure I got all this correct.)

Edit:
Using a stealth tmapper with a beatle and a second char to kill mobs is actually a really safe way to do tmaps, and any time lost having I switch between clients is made up especially with Provo archer or Provo tamer, since they can do so much more damage than a solo mage.

I think I probably make more g/ph solo with this build Mage/Med/Eval/Provo/Music/Carto/LP

On my stealther I run mage/med/hide/stealth/carto/lp, stealth really isn’t all that necessary especially if you’re using a beatle, so that leaves 2 open skill slots for you to play with. Then I just use my Provo tamer or archer to clean up all the mobs and loot the chest. When I start getting overweight I drop the gold beside my hidden char and have them put it in their beatle.

TL;DR
Solo tmapper - much easier to manage
Hiding mapper + Provo/whatever - much safer

Gold per hour is really pretty close for both, I’m probably just a little more comfortable with solo because I hate having to flip between clients.

To answer your original question: it’s very very rare for me to catch enough damage to kill me even without wrestling or magic resist, so I chose eval to put out a little more damage, though it’s basically useless as well, unless you want to pack expensive slayer Spellbooks. Inscription really might not be too bad of an idea to be honest. Fishing would also be a good 7th skill.

Last edited: