Suggestion

I strongly believe that this is a brilliant game and could be expanded into a brand new market as if re released.

I think that the biggest, most glaring weakness with UO Forever and the thing that will confuse and discourage new players is Razor, Steam and Sallos.

Looking at it from a neutral/business perspective they are ridiculous. They are confusing to many people, they offer individual benefits and weaknesses in different ways. Why have a third party program?

It would be so much fairer and easier as well as pioneering to implement the beneficial and needed aspects of the third party clients into UO itself.

In essence pick the best and fairest, most game improving parts of Steam, Razor, and Sallos, and program them into UO itself, IE in the paperdoll.

Would be amazing

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Way late on this, but I actually agree completely. I'd much prefer only one be used, or if a new program was created that combined as many of the great features into one. Will never happen, though.

Edwin Fox

Novice
Although using those old programs for playing UO may sometimes seem frustrating, complicated, and discouraging... well, since nobody (that I heard of) stood up to the herculean duty which would be to build another UO-auxiliary program from scratch, we're left with those ole ones for playing.

It is one of the reasons some people may seem intimidated to play, I believe... but also, such a complicated entry to playing (in my opinion) makes players 'tougher' - I mean, complex gameplay somewhat works as a 'filter' - meaning: if a player has enough determination to learning, 'taming' how to play UO, that same player won't leave Ultima Online so soon.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
if a player has enough determination to learning, 'taming' how to play UO, that same player won't leave Ultima Online so soon.
Not only do I not really agree with the premise here, but it's not like droves of new players are coming to UO. The logic of "keep three vastly different programs and confuse players so that they want to keep playing" is lost on me.

Edwin Fox

Novice
The logic of "keep three vastly different programs and confuse players so that they want to keep playing" is lost on me.

I understand you, and for that I have a game: Dwarf Fortress. That game has been in constant development for years, it has one of the most complex and complicated playing systems I am aware of, needs more than two assistant apps for playing smoothly, and all that doesn't discourage an ever-growing community of players worldwide... those who eventually manage to learn how to play it (and enjoy) create a unique bond to the game and its community, a sense of belonging stronger than most of other ones I've seen (no kidding).

Here's a pic illustrating its learning curve... lol. Quite like UO's! hahah
iECXl.jpg

All in all... I'd love to see a brand-new app less clumsy than ole Razor's... but, as it is now, my opinion is that things are working fine.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Love the drawing.

I don't disagree that a learning curve leads to players having a deeper respect and admiration for the game. But that wasn't my point. Thoroughly confusing players by allowing multiple old assist programs isn't necessarily equal to a learning curve.

Edwin Fox

Novice
Love the drawing.

I don't disagree that a learning curve leads to players having a deeper respect and admiration for the game. But that wasn't my point. Thoroughly confusing players by allowing multiple old assist programs isn't necessarily equal to a learning curve.

I wish I had some programming skills to develop, or help developing, a substitute for Razor. I wonder how many of us Britannians are programmers, and whether talks on making a new assistant app are something they discuss!