Stealing Through Trapped Pouches

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
I know there's some talk about these auto-stealing scripts. I'm not here about that. I am here about being able to steal through a trapped pouch without triggering the pouch. I'm pretty sure that there should be something happening when someone tries to steal an item from a trapped pouch, even if it just blows up before it auto-disappearing upon contact. This was a last target that stole it straight from the pouch (I was using another weapon when it was stolen, so it wasn't disarmed/stolen). Is this intended?

Drake Roberts

Grandmaster
The same way that someone can place items into trapped pouches without setting them off, and use regs, etc, inside of trapped pouches without setting them off.. It is possible to random steal into a trapped pouch without setting it off..

I don't know what happened in your particular circumstance.. but being able to random steal into a trapped pouch without setting it off has been the way it is, for as long as I have been here.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
The thing was it wasn't even a "random" steal. From my understanding of a random steal, it's when you click the guy and it randomly tries to take something - the pouch itself, a runebook, a newbie dagger, a halberd, so even things it can't succeed in, and including items in secured containers (I wasn't aware of this). Maybe I'm wrong in this. He ran past me and instantly removed the bow from the pouch. I was switching weapons while I was fighting the guy so that he had to keep retargeting the last target in my hand so he couldn't just steal, retarget my weapon, disarm, steal and repeat. I was also under the impression if I disarmed the weapon it'd go into the pouch and be safe and not risk getting it disarmed into my backpack where it would be lifted.

I imagine he had the bow as the last target (it was the weapon I was using before I switched to a hammer and engaged again), but the fact that "securing" the weapon doesn't really "secure it" is beyond me.

halygon

Grandmaster
The thing was it wasn't even a "random" steal. From my understanding of a random steal, it's when you click the guy and it randomly tries to take something - the pouch itself, a runebook, a newbie dagger, a halberd, so even things it can't succeed in, and including items in secured containers (I wasn't aware of this). Maybe I'm wrong in this. He ran past me and instantly removed the bow from the pouch. I was switching weapons while I was fighting the guy so that he had to keep retargeting the last target in my hand so he couldn't just steal, retarget my weapon, disarm, steal and repeat. I was also under the impression if I disarmed the weapon it'd go into the pouch and be safe and not risk getting it disarmed into my backpack where it would be lifted.

I imagine he had the bow as the last target (it was the weapon I was using before I switched to a hammer and engaged again), but the fact that "securing" the weapon doesn't really "secure it" is beyond me.
The way UO works for stealing is that the thief has to be able to access the serial of an item. IF you had it in hand at one time, they were able to last target it to store the serial of your bow. As long as they don't override their last target, they can steal the item by just being close by you and targeting last when their stealing cursor is up. This will steal it pretty much from any container on you except locked boxes (I think).

Now if you had not equipped the bow, they would have had to open the container on you to see the serial (ie.. Target the item by type or directly). This requires snooping. Your backpack is considered a container that would need to be opened to see the contents.

So.. If I were a thief and was going to steal something as trivial as regs (target by type), I would need to first snoop you real quick with an auto-snoop macro, then use my target by type to steal the regs. If my snooping had not opened the one container holding your regs, my stealing by type would not work.

Stealing, without snooping or targeting last, is at random and does not randomly choose items beyond the top level of your backpack.

Let me know if you have any questions, I've tested most situations of stealing.

Drake Roberts

Grandmaster

If you ever had it in your hand, then he could have set last target on your weapon and regardless of where you put it.. if you drop it into your pack, he can steal it from you.. Especially if you simply put it in a trapped pouch.. Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary.

So.. If I were a thief and was going to steal something as trivial as regs (target by type), I would need to first snoop you real quick with an auto-snoop macro, then use my target by type to steal the regs. If my snooping had not opened the one container holding your regs, my stealing by type would not work.

Stealing, without snooping or targeting last, is at random and does not randomly choose items beyond the top level of your backpack.

Let me know if you have any questions, I've tested most situations of stealing.

That is how it is supposed to be. However there is several people claiming to be able to steal by item type using a script, whether it be specific reg types in combat, or power scrolls at champ spawns by item type, without having to first snoop and actually set last target on the power scroll or specific reg types or what have you. I would imagine it would have to have range checks in the script in order to function properly, but I will know for sure once I get a hold of the script from one of my friends who claims to use said scripts.

halygon

Grandmaster
If you ever had it in your hand, then he could have set last target on your weapon and regardless of where you put it.. if you drop it into your pack, he can steal it from you.. Especially if you simply put it in a trapped pouch.. Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary.

That is how it is supposed to be. However there is several people claiming to be able to steal by item type using a script, whether it be specific reg types in combat, or power scrolls at champ spawns by item type, without having to first snoop and actually set last target on the power scroll or specific reg types or what have you. I would imagine it would have to have range checks in the script in order to function properly, but I will know for sure once I get a hold of the script from one of my friends who claims to use said scripts.
Well when I first made my thief I assumed that I wouldn't need snooping cause I could just steal by type. I quickly found that I couldn't steal anything except by random or if they had equipped it. You definitely cannot script around this as I have tried with razor and uosteam.

If there is a bug, I've never heard about it and bugs get squashed fast around here cause of reporter l337 gear given out.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
it doesn't seem like you should be able to steal out of trapped containers without first removing the trap. Does this also work on trapped mib chests, paragon chests, town chests or dungeon chests? Might be worth looking into, especially if the intention is for remove trap to be viable

halygon

Grandmaster
it doesn't seem like you should be able to steal out of trapped containers without first removing the trap. Does this also work on trapped mib chests, paragon chests, town chests or dungeon chests? Might be worth looking into, especially if the intention is for remove trap to be viable
That was my point... You can't.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
i think locked containers will probably give the ''out of sight'' message when attempting to steal last target out of one.
Perhaps what's needed is a check to see if the item is inside a trapped container for stealing.