Static Timers on RDA/IDOC/Boss Spawns increases group PVP

Torin

Adept
I've read the past five pages, and here is two cents from someone who doesn't idoc and thus doesn't really care what happens one way or another.

After reading the arguments from various people, it honestly seems like Karl Sagan and Violence are making the best case for static timers, to the point where I can't really see any reason why they shouldn't be enabled (or re-enabled). They reward planning and skill, instead of just people who have enough free time to sit in one spot for however many hours waiting for a drop. The "time vs reward" argument holds zero weight, simply because there is no effort involved in the time spent. You're just sitting on your ass waiting. That is pointless, and "I have no life so I should get more loot" is not actually a valid reason for random timers.

Most of the crap talking about timers not mattering in the first few pages seemed to be related to people hating each other, rather than actual merit. If anything I think people should keep in mind that if the timers are static, you'll have more chances to kill people you don't like and belittle them on the forums because they'll actually bother showing up to fight you. I attended a few idocs years and years ago when I played on uoforever, and remember the intense last minute battles being nothing short of amazing, so I don't see why any 'hardcore peeveepee' person would be against that.

Violence

Grandmaster
I attended a few idocs years and years ago when I played on uoforever, and remember the intense last minute battles being nothing short of amazing, so I don't see why any 'hardcore peeveepee' person would be against that.

They were fantastic! And the thing is, I'm absolutely shithouse at PvP yet I still enjoyed it immensely. I play the IDOC game a bit differently to some others, and I can attest that there are many ways to profit from player conflict, even without ever casting a single spell.

I made my living not by being the best PvPer or having the largest crew, but by refining my IDOC skills.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
I've read the past five pages, and here is two cents from someone who doesn't idoc and thus doesn't really care what happens one way or another.

After reading the arguments from various people, it honestly seems like Karl Sagan and Violence are making the best case for static timers, to the point where I can't really see any reason why they shouldn't be enabled (or re-enabled). They reward planning and skill, instead of just people who have enough free time to sit in one spot for however many hours waiting for a drop. The "time vs reward" argument holds zero weight, simply because there is no effort involved in the time spent. You're just sitting on your ass waiting. That is pointless, and "I have no life so I should get more loot" is not actually a valid reason for random timers.

Most of the crap talking about timers not mattering in the first few pages seemed to be related to people hating each other, rather than actual merit. If anything I think people should keep in mind that if the timers are static, you'll have more chances to kill people you don't like and belittle them on the forums because they'll actually bother showing up to fight you. I attended a few idocs years and years ago when I played on uoforever, and remember the intense last minute battles being nothing short of amazing, so I don't see why any 'hardcore peeveepee' person would be against that.

Karl sits, staring at his monitor. A single tear rolls down his cheek.

'Someone...someone...gets it...'

Sadly there are more people who have four hours to sit quietly waiting for their sewing kits and chests of pillows recovered from shipwrecks than there are people who enjoy the hard work and coordination of an actual IDOC organization. And THATS what matters.

Silvers

Master
I dont see what is wrong for someone wanting to spend/waste 5 hours sitting there for a IDOC. More power to them if they get the free drops that come versus the organized crowds that come with static drops. They put in the time why not reap the rewards?

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I dont see what is wrong for someone wanting to spend/waste 5 hours sitting there for a IDOC. More power to them if they get the free drops that come versus the organized crowds that come with static drops. They put in the time why not reap the rewards?

If timers were static people could still sit at IDOCs for 5 hours if they choose not to put in the effort to time them.

Static timers allow people who are IDOCers(and entire IDOC guilds to form) to put in the effort to get a time for the IDOC so they can show up 20minutes before it drops not 5 hours.

Random IDOC timer = little to no IDOC scene on UOF.
Static IDOC timer = massive IDOC scene on UOF.

Violence

Grandmaster
I want to spend as much time doing as many IDOCs as I can. I want all the preparatory work I do to mean something.

Not possible under random system. I can go to just 2 IDOCs and waste up to 4 hours of my time online doing absolutely NOTHING.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster

'Putting in time' means sitting idle on a blue while watching anime on another screen...

aIck

Grandmaster
Am+i+kawaii+uguu_0a8f63_5039591.jpg

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster

hubcap

Grandmaster
But some of us don't enjoy PvM.

Some of us enjoy trading, or mining, or poker or hell, I don't know, IDOCing?

But, some of us dont enjoy PvP .......and dont come to UO exclusively for it. Why is this so hard to understand? SO many better (and active) PvP games/scenes out there. Stop trying to turn UO in WoW or Call of Duty. Its NOT happening.
Admin has stated many times that this isnt, repeat, ISNT, a PvP centric shard.
Why do we have to have EVERY aspect of UO become a 10v2 shit show?

YAY! Lets turn IDOCs into Champ Spawns where people are only interested in showing up to kill people as opposed to the loot that dropped from the house.......which is why people are there in the first place.

As much as we all hate to admit it.......PvP has plenty of avenues to approach and make better.
Or is gankin newbies at champ spawns getting too boring for you?
Or is grouping up in teams of 6 looking for new and uninterested targets getting cumbersome?
Maybe YOU should change your game instead of trying to constantly change it to benefit YOUR play style.
If UO was to be PvP centric........why even HAVE mob spawns in the first place?

Get it? UO is NOT PvP centric, nor should we be catering to their every whim. G'Head and leave......the current blues will find the time to make a red char in your absense. Its not like the PvP players are the only ones that visit, or LOVE and appreciate the nostalgia UO brings.

Maybe YOU should change your gameplay??? (rhetorically speaking, Violence....not directed at you in particular aside for the line about "some of us dont like PvP)

Malkraven

Grandmaster
But, some of us dont enjoy PvP .......and dont come to UO exclusively for it. Why is this so hard to understand? SO many better (and active) PvP games/scenes out there. Stop trying to turn UO in WoW or Call of Duty. Its NOT happening.

YAY! Lets turn IDOCs into Champ Spawns where people are only interested in showing up to kill people as opposed to the loot that dropped from the house.......which is why people are there in the first place.

As much as we all hate to admit it.......PvP has plenty of avenues to approach and make better.
Or is grouping up in teams of 6 looking for new and uninterested targets getting cumbersome?
Maybe YOU should change your game instead of trying to constantly change it to benefit YOUR play style.

Get it? UO is NOT PvP centric, nor should we be catering to their every whim. G'Head and leave......the current blues will find the time to make a red char in your absense. Its not like the PvP players are the only ones that visit, or LOVE and appreciate the nostalgia UO brings.

Maybe YOU should change your gameplay??? (rhetorically speaking, Violence....not directed at you in particular aside for the line about "some of us dont like PvP)
Sorry but UOF is non consensual pvp and the rewards goto the person or group who can lock it down and secure it

aIck

Grandmaster

Shush, trammelite.

Violence

Grandmaster
That's cool if you don't enjoy PvP. I'm not gungho about it myself, though I do enjoy it a fair bit, win or lose.

However, what is very important to me is the sandbox nature of this game and I will advocate for it's precedence over any of my own wishes, lest this game becomes no more than the modern games you just listed. The irony is of course, if you don't wish participate or be exposed to PvP in an organic fashion, you might consider a more consensual game like World of Warcraft a better choice for you.

Furthermore, the issue of PvP and why I am pro static timer is only of a lesser concern. I've only argued PvP (or any player conflict really) a relevant point due to the fact that the IDOC mechanics were only changed on the basis of distributing the wealth more, despite the fact it has been to it's detriment. This largely due to the death of dedicated IDOC guilds and encourages large guilds like EQMS to shit all over the little guy.

Which brings me to my final point, static timers are the great equaliser and is the main reason I would like to see them back. It's what allowed me me to out-place and out-loot zergturds like 247 and [!] despite only running a few man crew. It wasn't because of PvP or because I had more numbers, but because I was more prepared, more dedicated and more willing to hone my craft. I could write a lengthy guide on the subject and all the finer intricacies of good IDOCing.

But quite clearly, people take issue when someone else is better at them at something, especially when they feel entitled to a handout.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster

Wow u really touch me there kid, right in the heart. Who are you in game? We should guild up and do idocs together I have a great timing system, pm me and we can be UO friends :)

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
That's cool if you don't enjoy PvP. I'm not gungho about it myself, though I do enjoy it a fair bit, win or lose.

However, what is very important to me is the sandbox nature of this game and I will advocate for it's precedence over any of my own wishes, lest this game becomes no more than the modern games you just listed. The irony is of course, if you don't wish participate or be exposed to PvP in an organic fashion, you might consider a more consensual game like World of Warcraft a better choice for you.

Furthermore, the issue of PvP and why I am pro static timer is only of a lesser concern. I've only argued PvP (or any player conflict really) a relevant point due to the fact that the IDOC mechanics were only changed on the basis of distributing the wealth more, despite the fact it has been to it's detriment. This largely due to the death of dedicated IDOC guilds and encourages large guilds like EQMS to shit all over the little guy.

Which brings me to my final point, static timers are the great equaliser and is the main reason I would like to see them back. It's what allowed me me to out-place and out-loot zergturds like 247 and [!] despite only running a few man crew. It wasn't because of PvP or because I had more numbers, but because I was more prepared, more dedicated and more willing to hone my craft. I could write a lengthy guide on the subject and all the finer intricacies of good IDOCing.

But quite clearly, people take issue when someone else is better at them at something, especially when they feel entitled to a handout.

hubcap

Grandmaster
Sorry but UOF is non consensual pvp and the rewards goto the person or group who can lock it down and secure it

Sad the majority of the community is against your opinion?

Dont believe me?
Take a peek at that poll on page one. (you know.......staying on topic and such.....)

You and your buddies are in the minority.

Sorry if this hurts. But not all aspects of UO need to be PvP centric.

hubcap

Grandmaster

HARDLY looking for a handout.
Pretty tired of being force to play a style thats not to my liking and getting shit on for wanting our voices heard, too.
Spare me the trammie bullshit. UO has thrived LONG before PvP was introduced into the Ultima series.

Like mentioned.....WoW and Call of Duty are for PvP strictly.
We wouldnt have monsters spawn if the sole intention was PvP.

I think we are in agreement on the underlying issues, but, I feel youre assuming a bit much in thinking I want PvP curbed totally.
Thats not the case.
I would just like the griefing and lamery to stop.
There was a time when dying to a red was a badge of honor. You know......when they fought one on one or two on two.
And have ALL the fight you could handle.
This 10v1 gankfests are lame.
And they DO drive people from the game. When we ALL admit we should be doing all we can to get more people here.....
Not drive them off.

Dont waste time with a response. Ive voiced my opinions...........my job in this thread is done.