stamina on horseback

Yubay

Novice
I think it would be nice to stop the very long runs. After so long for consistent running horse wont do it anymore.

I think it would be nice to stop the very long runs. After so long for consistent running horse wont do it anymore.

learn to throw pots trammer.

I'd actually be keen for players with 5% or less hps to lose stamina when running though?

Either way, not too big of a deal, don't listen to bad players.

Yubay

Novice

I'd actually be keen for players with 5% or less hps to lose stamina when running though?

only reason to run so much is if you are bad, I can only imagine how bad of a player you are. It's clear you run a lot. Your post says enough about you to tell me this.

Ranker

Master

How can you call him a trammer ? When what he is asking for was around LONG before trammel. Or are you just using cool words the other kids use? Sounds to me you have no clue what your talking about, and while I don't want stam on horses here, I will say you look like a complete fool now, So great job?

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Another stamina loss thread. What's this, the 60th one since the shard went live?

Either way, I'm all for stamina loss - still.

Harken110

Expert
Isn't the problem more associated to being able to spam refresh pots? I rather they just placed a CD on those instead.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
I don't personally care if people spam refreshes - eventually, they run out. That's the strategy; refreshes, like any resource (be it heals, mana, bandages, regs), must be utilized wisely to either overcome your opponent or escape (or a mix of both, if you find you cannot win you need to maintain enough to be able to free with what you have left). That doesn't apply here.

I've noticed so many little things that weren't noticeable elsewhere that had stamina loss (aka, 99% of UO servers, including OSI/EA from start to now). Example, mages running around wearing invuln metal armor while they passive med or use bandages against a dexxer. Because there's no stamina loss, the constant trickle of stamina loss doesn't force the mage to use his 35ish stamina wisely. On any other server, that stamina drain would mean he's using refreshes more often just running in circles, his passive med slower because of the armor (but protecting him from the arrows and jousts in the interim). He would need to make sure he can drop his opponent quickly because running from a dexxer means stamina loss, and the occasional hit means more loss. Eventually, he'll run out of refreshes, and then he's dead in the water (not to mention the replacing of metal armor can mean max stam loss, which will keep it lower in the long run, wasting more refreshes). That element of PvP doesn't exist here. Not to mention when you DO redline someone, they don't take immediate stamina drain, so you watch a guy run in a straight line for 10 seconds applying a bandage. Any other server would have that same guy, be it with 25 Dex or 120 Dex, chugging a refresh every 2-3 steps.

In effect, stamina potions are for pushing through the occasional blocks and stun punch ammo. The dexxer vs. mage dynamic of engaging early or using their stamina to run away altogether isn't in place; you now have this "I'm gonna' fight - oh, no I'm not, I'll run around for a bit and wait, okay, now I'll fight - eh, take that back, gonna' run some more" and thirty minutes later nothing's been accomplished.

The overall twitch elements remain similar, but the attrition-factor and general field strategy are altogether absent (compounded more so by a lack of mace drain, as well).

How can you call him a trammer ? When what he is asking for was around LONG before trammel. Or are you just using cool words the other kids use? Sounds to me you have no clue what your talking about, and while I don't want stam on horses here, I will say you look like a complete fool now, So great job?

obviously you didn't read my part about not listening to bad players.

idiots.....

5% or less idea, works fine.

/end thread

Harken110

Expert
I don't personally care if people spam refreshes - eventually, they run out. That's the strategy; refreshes, like any resource (be it heals, mana, bandages, regs), must be utilized wisely to either overcome your opponent or escape (or a mix of both, if you find you cannot win you need to maintain enough to be able to free with what you have left). That doesn't apply here.

I've noticed so many little things that weren't noticeable elsewhere that had stamina loss (aka, 99% of UO servers, including OSI/EA from start to now). Example, mages running around wearing invuln metal armor while they passive med or use bandages against a dexxer. Because there's no stamina loss, the constant trickle of stamina loss doesn't force the mage to use his 35ish stamina wisely. On any other server, that stamina drain would mean he's using refreshes more often just running in circles, his passive med slower because of the armor (but protecting him from the arrows and jousts in the interim). He would need to make sure he can drop his opponent quickly because running from a dexxer means stamina loss, and the occasional hit means more loss. Eventually, he'll run out of refreshes, and then he's dead in the water (not to mention the replacing of metal armor can mean max stam loss, which will keep it lower in the long run, wasting more refreshes). That element of PvP doesn't exist here. Not to mention when you DO redline someone, they don't take immediate stamina drain, so you watch a guy run in a straight line for 10 seconds applying a bandage. Any other server would have that same guy, be it with 25 Dex or 120 Dex, chugging a refresh every 2-3 steps.

In effect, stamina potions are for pushing through the occasional blocks and stun punch ammo. The dexxer vs. mage dynamic of engaging early or using their stamina to run away altogether isn't in place; you now have this "I'm gonna' fight - oh, no I'm not, I'll run around for a bit and wait, okay, now I'll fight - eh, take that back, gonna' run some more" and thirty minutes later nothing's been accomplished.

The overall twitch elements remain similar, but the attrition-factor and general field strategy are altogether absent (compounded more so by a lack of mace drain, as well).

But if one carries around 25+ pots of refresh I just don't' see how they'll run out of stamina quickly enough before reinforcements come into play. And even if friends didn't come that's still a lot of opportunity to run, not to mention to use stun punch too. Really there isn't much of a strategy of "He'll eventually run out", not always true. I am sure that before he runs out (unless he was low to begin with) so many other things would have occurred.

Metalhead-

Master
Just increase the value in weight that pots carry? And we are discussing a dynamic system of stamina loss correct? Where lowering HP % from total increases stamina loss linearly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
But if one carries around 25+ pots of refresh I just don't' see how they'll run out of stamina quickly enough before reinforcements come into play. And even if friends didn't come that's still a lot of opportunity to run, not to mention to use stun punch too. Really there isn't much of a strategy of "He'll eventually run out", not always true. I am sure that before he runs out (unless he was low to begin with) so many other things would have occurred.
25 refreshes leaves you with 100 free space. 8 of those are regs. You need heal potions - what, 15? Cures are a big deal, another 15. High probability they run healing, so bandages. You're at roughly 60 items out of 125. Spell book is 1. How many runebooks do you carry? I see lots of people roll with anywhere between 3 and 10.

We're at 65 items. Newbie items are a common thing, like scissors and a dagger for cutting up heads. Boom pots? Greater strength and agility? You're at about 75-80 items, and we haven't even added the 5-10 trap pouches most run around with. Most put this gear into an actual bag or series of bags/boxes, so that's a few extra items. My point in all of this is 25 Refreshes is only about 5-10 more refreshes than most used to carry anyway, and they STILL ran out. Match that with mace stam drain, and it was even faster. I assure you 25 refreshes or 45 refreshes, it doesn't matter; if you squander your resources, you lose, and Stamina should be a resource that must be carefully balanced like any other.

The long and short of it is this: you give up something to have those resources. On other servers I've played, I've seen guys decked out with pots only to realize when they ganked someone, they didn't have the means to quickly loot them, and the corpse was effectively left untouched. Some carried kegs with macros that pop out a bottle and drink it to save item space, but those get heavy when combined with reagents, bandages and the like. Keep in mind, too, this is solely for mages, who don't carry all that much to begin with; no additional weapons clogging up space.

I get where the idea comes from, but in practice (about 16+ years of precedence) it has not been the case, and the stamina loss adds a whole "new" (even though this is the only server I've heard of without it) dynamic that changes the battlefield to be far more varied and strategic.

halygon

Grandmaster
I get where the idea comes from, but in practice (about 16+ years of precedence) it has not been the case, and the stamina loss adds a whole "new" (even though this is the only server I've heard of without it) dynamic that changes the battlefield to be far more varied and strategic.

Idk about a "new dynamic", but it definitely means that someone wins and someone dies. Running doesn't get you too far like it does here. I mean really, I should not have to chase someone from Khaldun to Skara before I finally take them down... but I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stunoma.

Grandmaster
I say keep it the way it is. Just promotes people to house hide more and blues being even more butt hurt over getting pkd