Neophyte
  1. Lumberjack 100
  2. Swordsman 100
  3. Tactics 100
  4. Healing 100
  5. Anatomy 100
  6. Hiding 100
  7. ???????

My question is: What i need more such as SOLO-PLAYER-PVM and its my first char (i'm never played with skillcap before)? Resisting Spells or Magery or (maybe) Parrying? And why?

If Magery: what stats i need? coz 7-8 circle of magicbook its INT:40+
Now mine stats is 100/100/25.

ps. Thx to all.

I run that exact template, with resist as my last skill, and lumber to 120 (once you eat your scrolls the skill cap goes up, so you won't have to take points away from anything else, and its the only skill in the template that can be scrolled) for gathering the more expensive lumber.

Resist is clutch for dealing with magic casting mobs. With this template and a zerker talisman, you will find yourself jousting bigger things, which means you spend most of your time at range and being cast at. This char will let you do some solid farming on mid to high range mobs and give you a good foothold to fund the development of more advanced builds on other characters.

Also, don't neglect cutting lumber at 100+, it can bring in some serious cash and is relatively risk-free, compared to dungeon farming.

halygon

Grandmaster
For me the answer is magery AND resist, but that's not neccessarily something that works for everyone as it takes some knowing to get the levels right (they would not be GM). The best answer is the above by @GrimwaldGaming.

Zeth

Neophyte
And what about:
  1. Lumberjack 100
  2. Swordsman 100
  3. Tactics 100
  4. Healing 100
  5. Anatomy 100
  6. Resisting Spells 100
  7. Magery (90.1) for 1-6 magic circles with 25int (or 100 magery for all magic circles with 100/75/50)
  8. Free Skill Points 9.9
I think I don't need spend 100 points for Hiding if i can take magery (and will have Invisibility spell with it). What you thinking about?
Ofcourse, without Evaluate Inteligence, Magery is only support Skill, but we have a lot of nice support spells..

Last edited:

halygon

Grandmaster
And what about:
  1. Lumberjack 100
  2. Swordsman 100
  3. Tactics 100
  4. Healing 100
  5. Anatomy 100
  6. Resisting Spells 100
  7. Magery (90.1) for 1-6 magic circles with 25int (or 100 magery for all magic circles with 100/75/50)
  8. Free Skill Points 9.9
I think I don't need spend 100 points for Hiding if i can take magery (and will have Invisibility spell with it). What you thinking about?
Ofcourse, without Evaluate Inteligence, Magery is only support Skill, but we have a lot of nice support spells..
If you are good with not having hiding, then GM magery is the way to go. Keep in mind that GM level magery isn't only to cast 8th circle spells, it also makes your lower spells more powerfull (bigger heals, more potent cures, stronger reflection, etc). So if you go GM magery, you don't need (or probably want) 50 int -- go with something like 35 - 40.

Zeth

Neophyte
You right. I no need 7 and 8 circle (Gate Travel and Polymorph can use scrolls, Resurection - i have GM Healing.. All the rest is force spells)
For 6 circle i need 20 INT, so mine 25 is anough (i think).

GM Magery is more versatile, but it takes away a major survival skill for the dedicated and new PvM player. With Hiding, I can run at the first sight of a PK and instantly vanish. as soon as they stop to cast reveal, I pop my escape book and I'm home free. With Magery, you lose that. Invis is good for quick hiding, but it wears off sooner or later, hiding lasts until you are revealed. Its saved my hide more than once when i was in a tight spawn and had a bad string of attacks and need some time to come up with a plan (or wait for that paragon to wander off). Magery adds a lot of needed utility once were talking about PvP, but for strictly PvM, I think hiding is superior, and as Halygon pointed out, far simpler to play.

For a new player, who is trying to focus on PvM to get started, Might i suggest the ubiquitous bard archer

100 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anat
100 Healing
100 Resist
100 Music
100 Provo

with this setup, you can hunt things far bigger and scarier with much fewer stress than with a melee fighter. This build will easily set you up to fund whatever you want to do with your other characters.

Zeth

Neophyte
GM Magery is more versatile, but it takes away a major survival skill for the dedicated and new PvM player. With Hiding, I can run at the first sight of a PK and instantly vanish. as soon as they stop to cast reveal, I pop my escape book and I'm home free. With Magery, you lose that. Invis is good for quick hiding, but it wears off sooner or later, hiding lasts until you are revealed. Its saved my hide more than once when i was in a tight spawn and had a bad string of attacks and need some time to come up with a plan (or wait for that paragon to wander off). Magery adds a lot of needed utility once were talking about PvP, but for strictly PvM, I think hiding is superior, and as Halygon pointed out, far simpler to play.

For a new player, who is trying to focus on PvM to get started, Might i suggest the ubiquitous bard archer

100 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anat
100 Healing
100 Resist
100 Music
100 Provo

with this setup, you can hunt things far bigger and scarier with much fewer stress than with a melee fighter. This build will easily set you up to fund whatever you want to do with your other characters.

I'm thinking about archer for my second char (or third, after Gatherer/Crafter) =) Thx
Now i training Magery (because i need Spell Resistance anyway), and downgrading my GM Hiding. I will play a bit with it, and if you right i'll go on your way.

Phrygian

Master

100 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anat
100 Healing
100 Resist
100 Music
100 Provo

Not much need for resist with an archer bard. Bows have longer range than spells. You can hit, and not be cast at. Also, mobs should be fighting each other, you're a bard afterall. Hiding > Resist IMO.

Zeth

Neophyte
Not much need for resist with an archer bard. Bows have longer range than spells. You can hit, and not be cast at. Also, mobs should be fighting each other, you're a bard afterall. Hiding > Resist IMO.
Thread not about archers. thx.

Zeth

Neophyte
I run Swords LJ Tactics Anat Heal Resist Magery Alchemy -- works good for me.
For what you need Alchemy on this char? You can create another char for crafting bottles..
And your build is 8 skills.. How you did this?:
Swords 100
LJ 100
Tactics 100
Anat 80 (spend your dmg and heal rate)
Heal 80 (spend you healing time and heal rate)
Resist 65 (its sux....)
Magery 100 (w/o Evaluate Intilegency its Support spells only.. no force dmg)
Alchemy 75 (can use another char for craft bottles)
Something like this or what? IMHO build sux..

For what you need Alchemy on this char? You can create another char for crafting bottles..
Swords 100
LJ 100
Tactics 100
Resist 65 (its sux....)
Yeah it's something like that but not exactly.

Its an alchy LJ template (PvP) to PVM when no PvP is around. Alchemy is for explosion potions, magery is for buffs/heals, not direct damage.

Zeth

Neophyte
Yeah it's something like that but not exactly.

Its an alchy LJ template (PvP) to PVM when no PvP is around. Alchemy is for explosion potions, magery is for buffs/heals, not direct damage.
Understood.. i'm intertesting in PVM only template.

Swords 100
LJ 100
Tactics 100
Resist 65 (its sux....)

I would say he most likely doesn’t have magery in this build, or LJ. But you’re right, you can only have 7x GM skills.

I think he’s suggesting alchemy as an alternative to magery or hiding for your 7th skill, and I would agree that it would be a good way to go. Alchemy increases damage done by explosion potions and healing done by healing potions but ONLY at GM. This is generally what is used by PvPers but it is not a bad idea at all to use for PvM, because there is no such thing as PvM ONLY on a Felucca ruleset, there’s always a chance a pk will roll up on you any time you are outside of a guard zone.

I would consider your goals and what you hope to accomplish with the character. I understand you want to PvM, but changing your 7th skill to alchemy doesn’t take away from that. There are probably some minor benefits to having magery over alchemy during PvM encounters, and hiding is amazing for both PvM and PvP, but only as a tool for escape. Alchemy has some very minor benefits to PvM, but completely changes the way you handle PvP and PK encounters. No longer will escape be your only option, you will be able to fight back, which is not expected by a lot of PKs. Yes, there’s a high likelihood you will die by fighting back (anymore than 1 opponent and your chances of death are pretty much guaranteed), but as long as you dont keep too much loot on you, it won’t matter all that much as death should always be expected on UO. And should you manage to take down a PK, you’ve just earned yourself about 10-20k in armor/weapons in loot, which isn’t too shabby. Also consider a lot of PKs aren’t that great at the game and rely on the fact that most PvM characters do not have PvP skills to win, you’ll notice these guys leaving the area pretty quickly once they realize you are not the easy kill they expected.

At the end of the day it is your character and build, but I wouldn’t automatically dismiss alchemy because “it is a PvP skill.”

Steezie E

Master
I have an archer who is
95str
40int
90dex

100 archery
100 tactics
100 anatomy
80 healing
70 magery (for bless/magic reflect and emergency heal/cure/invis. You can also gate with a scroll. You can even summon if needed.)
50 hiding

These combat skills allow for a lot of flexability.
Dont underestimate 100>Hiding
The 0 resist takes getting used to but if you are good with your aids/pots you shouldn't have an issue.