Shields

Amabangu

Expert
call me crazy but if some has a shield equipped with parry and another person cast ebolt on him should the shield be able to parry like a melee weapon??? what about if parry blocked a steal attempt, with all these scripters? just trying to kick some ideas around...

call me crazy but if some has a shield equipped with parry and another person cast ebolt on him should the shield be able to parry like a melee weapon??? what about if parry blocked a steal attempt, with all these scripters? just trying to kick some ideas around...
Samurai Empire expansion introduced the Bushido skill. One of the abilities was called Evasion and when activated you had a chance to "evade" spells and melee damage over the duration of the ability (think like 6 or 8 seconds?). So if you saw you were getting dumped on you could toggle evasion and would have a chance to evade (take no damage or cc) some of the spells. It required(s) bushido and parry. Was used on dexers and mages(spell channeling shields)

People here dont seem interested in straying away from uoforever's model of mechanics so much. At least not in terms of pvp. I would love to see more diversity though. Especially since they have alchemy bonus here which was really an aos mechanic more than uor.

Deadpool

Grandmaster
I actually could see this maybe be a PVM thing. The evade part. If you have parry you have a certain chance to evade spell/melee attacks. The higher the parry, the higher the chance. And obviously the better quality shield you have, also higher the chance. I think PVP wise people would complain. Maybe not, but just seems like something mages would be upset about.

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
I don't know about full reflection, but giving a shield a magic tag that could raise Resist Spells by 5/10/15/20/25% would be alright; and a needed buff for 'sword & board' warriors.

halygon

Grandmaster
If it let you parry spells, you better know that PvP mages would jump all over that even if they have to rearm it every other second.

Plus if you give a mage a reason to use a shield, then they will just it against dexxors also.

Amabangu

Expert
so make it a combo you have to have gm parry, gm tactics, gm antomy, gm weapon? and you have 1/3 or 1/5 chance to parry spells make it a benifit for warriors and not a mage uoforever. maybe it has a cd where u have to have shield equiped for 10 sec before spell parry works

halygon

Grandmaster
so make it a combo you have to have gm parry gm tactics? and you have 1/3 or 1/5 chance to parry spells make it a benifit for warriors and not a mage uoforever
Its possible of course. I am not sure the overall idea is needed though.

I run dexxors quite a bit in PvP and for PvM and there are already plenty of damage/spell mitigation mechanic/techniques out there.

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
I think you guys forget that mages can also have parrying.

I know it's true mages can have parrying, but a mage needs to give up things to make use of it.

can't cast while parrying, can't meditate. I don't know if it cuts out passive meditate bonuses (i've tried to find to an answer but can't).

And it... well... it requires that you give 100 points to do it. I don't think it's possible to be a full mage/healer and have parry.

x7

Magery
Eval
Meditate (which suffers from shield use)
Inscript
Anatomy
Healing
Resist Spells

Parry (?)

A mage could certainly throw up a shield for the 25% of resist, but at 0 parry the shield is useless against dexxers aside from shield AR, but if you're using a shield you don't get your extra mana per/sec (unless wooden shields are medable).
They could drop anatomy for healing (for the extra... healing....) but then they wouldn't have defensive wrestling, and be 100% reliant on that AR for dmg reduction.

It's the need for an extra skill that I thought would over-all balance it out. A mage dropping any skill for parry would balance it out.

Magery (self-evident)
Eval (less dmg for tankiness)
Meditate (might as well if you go parry, but then you'd have mana issues)
Inscript (you're making yourself able to parry less spells in place of parrying more attacks; best possible trade)
anatomy (Now you have no defensive wrestling; you'd get hit more often, making you cast less)
Healing (extra tankiness for less hp/sec)
Resist spells (you're not dropping this; you know that)

And even if you did make room for parry you'd be doing less dmg via purple potions.

I honestly believe it's worth testing, if nothing else.

halygon

Grandmaster
I know it's true mages can have parrying, but a mage needs to give up things to make use of it.

can't cast while parrying, can't meditate. I don't know if it cuts out passive meditate bonuses (i've tried to find to an answer but can't).

And it... well... it requires that you give 100 points to do it. I don't think it's possible to be a full mage/healer and have parry.

x7

Magery
Eval
Meditate (which suffers from shield use)
Inscript
Anatomy
Healing
Resist Spells

Parry (?)

A mage could certainly throw up a shield for the 25% of resist, but at 0 parry the shield is useless against dexxers aside from shield AR, but if you're using a shield you don't get your extra mana per/sec (unless wooden shields are medable).
They could drop anatomy for healing (for the extra... healing....) but then they wouldn't have defensive wrestling, and be 100% reliant on that AR for dmg reduction.

It's the need for an extra skill that I thought would over-all balance it out. A mage dropping any skill for parry would balance it out.

Magery (self-evident)
Eval (less dmg for tankiness)
Meditate (might as well if you go parry, but then you'd have mana issues)
Inscript (you're making yourself able to parry less spells in place of parrying more attacks; best possible trade)
anatomy (Now you have no defensive wrestling; you'd get hit more often, making you cast less)
Healing (extra tankiness for less hp/sec)
Resist spells (you're not dropping this; you know that)

And even if you did make room for parry you'd be doing less dmg via purple potions.

I honestly believe it's worth testing, if nothing else.
First off I wouldn't put this on a heal mage. I think heal mages are pretty silly tbh.

The template would look more like this:

5x Mage (Magery, Eval, Med, Resist, Wrestling)
Alchemy
Parry

Or they could do a 720 skill cap and pull off:

Magery
Eval
Med
Resist
Wrestling
Alchemy
Parry
Inscribe

Also, they wouldn't need to have it equiped 24/7 - only when they are being dumped on by other mages.

So If I was fighting a dexxor, it would be like this:

Equip Shield
Be attacked by dexxor
Parry attack
throw purple pot
Parry Attack
throw purple pot

Parry is already super powerful vs melee attacks here and gives good AR. If you have ever gone dexxer vs parry dexxer you know that its pretty useless to try to hurt them when their shield is up.

Maybe @Blair can give a few more scenarios. We have had this discussion before in staff chat.

Amabangu

Expert
Parry is already super powerful vs melee attacks here and gives good AR. If you have ever gone dexxer vs parry dexxer you know that its pretty useless to try to hurt them when their shield is up.

not really i RP fought 2 macers and they broke 2 sets of bone crafted armor with parry and spined runic kit parry is not as good as you claim.

to further prove my point ask any mage when was the last time they fought a warrior who had a shield equiped.... i will wait...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
I'd agree about dexxers vs. dexxers, because you need high dex to make good use of a shield. if you have 25 dex like most mages do you have only a 16% chance to block; having wresting by itself let's you avoid 50% of the time cause of <GM Melee Skill> vs. <GM Melee Skill>

Having the shield up for mage dumps would help you, but that's kind of the point.

In Mage A vs. Mage B: mage A could certainly use the shield to help, but then they arent' casting back, or gaining mana and if mage B has any form of physical attack mage A would be hard pressed to get a spell off. If Mage A kept the shield up to help with spells Mage B could just fling purple pots like mage A while casting low mana spells. In This case Mage B could keep this up indefinitely because they're getting mana regen.

In mage (w/shield) vs. dexxer ( w/out the shield ): The mage still isn't casting if the shield is up, and a smart dexx would switch to his 1-handed weapon for faster attacks. Purple pot throws even out when factored in and the fast attacks would mean the shield stays on the mage to block, or doesn't stay on the mage in which case you have the same % to attack as you do now. This fight would be harder to win for the mage than current standards since you can no longer stun punch/disarm.

In mage (w/shield) vs dexx ( w/shield ): This is the class (Sword & Board warrior) I'm arguing needs a buff in PvP. Same as above.

Dexxer fights would likely play out the same as they already do since there isn't much offensive spell slinging in PvP fights.

Or does this shard use the, ' (skill level / 2)% ' formula? Even then if you dump parry you'd loose out on stun punching.

I'd request that it would be reconsidered by the staff. I honestly think it would add a new twist to PvP and make several new and different 'Meta' builds.