Revert Inscription Slayer Book Crafting Chance

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Lesser slayers are 1k - 5k for the majority of them... It's all about supply and demand. The reasons why they haven't been sell are beyond what you believe are a high price... People rant the mage is the least effective, people listen.. the new rogue tali is gaining popularity, less meta mages out there, old vets are making their own books, newer players haven't gotten into the meta mage path, due to people complaining...

UO is rarely as back and white as do this one thing and everything fixes itself.. the reality is every change has cause and effect on many other systems..

Rubeido

Apprentice
Lesser slayers are 1k - 5k for the majority of them... It's all about supply and demand. The reasons why they haven't been sell are beyond what you believe are a high price... People rant the mage is the least effective, people listen.. the new rogue tali is gaining popularity, less meta mages out there, old vets are making their own books, newer players haven't gotten into the meta mage path, due to people complaining...

UO is rarely as back and white as do this one thing and everything fixes itself.. the reality is every change has cause and effect on many other systems..
Lesser slayers aren't worth buying at all. But I am a new player who is a meta mage main. They do suck, but itsi my play style. Having a slayers book isnt going to magicaly change meta mage. That's why they arent worth the investement. But your right pne solution may not be enoughe thats why i have given at least two solutions so far. Bless them or put them in a price range that is reasonable for an item you replace several times a day. I lose everything at least 3 to 4 times a day. Buying 3 or 4 books everyday is not feasable

girana

Grandmaster
Lesser slayers aren't worth buying at all. But I am a new player who is a meta mage main. They do suck, but itsi my play style. Having a slayers book isnt going to magicaly change meta mage. That's why they arent worth the investement. But your right pne solution may not be enoughe thats why i have given at least two solutions so far. Bless them or put them in a price range that is reasonable for an item you replace several times a day. I lose everything at least 3 to 4 times a day. Buying 3 or 4 books everyday is not feasable

maye get better and dont lose your shit 4 times a day ?

how the fuck you even die 4 times a day if you dont play much.

Nekronos

Master
Slayer books are awesome... for example take a silly lesser slayer like blood drinking. Cost you maybe 4K-8k ..Like Alduin says in 20 minutes you’ve more than 5x your money...

You should experiment with a few things before you go railing on how useless or lame something is.

Slayers books are great

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Having a slayer book, changes the mage class, it allows you to kill things close to 50% faster - depending on how they proc - how does that not change how the mage, or the meta mage is played for that matter? I really don't think you truly understand the class you are playing if you truly believe what you are saying. I mean honestly, you complain slayers are too much money, I give you the cheap slayer for the newer mage, and you say it sucks? Have you picked up a lesser dragon slayer book? it does more damage than the super, and works on dragons & drakes... which are grouped together in Destard.. I don't understand how you can say that sucks..

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I'm told it's less of a chance at GM, it's 2.5% chance at 120.... I never once made a slayer prior to 120... but i also didn't do huge runs like I do now..

Ludwig

Grandmaster
I've got a zerker with DS/Tread/Phase and a mage with Vivify/Focus/Shadow.

The zerker does absurd burst damage. But he dies really, really easily and fast. And he has a hard time taking on more than one mob at a time. But he kills stuff constantly, he doesn't stop.

A meta mage puts out some high powered spells (I'm doing 130/ebolt to ogre lords with a slayer btw). With Spirit Speak and my skills, ebolts cost 15 mana. With Vivify, you almost become a mini tamer....you won't be soloing any bosses easily but that hard-to-dispel daemon realllllly lets you chill and light monsters up. Only bad thing is, as noted, Focus is not balanced. Dispersion does 2x damage to single mobs at level 1. Focus does 2x damage to single mobs only after you get it to level 10....it needs to buff Meditation imo because even a meta mage suffers from downtime which sucks.

But, then again, why is almost everyone at archdemon a meta mage? Maybe because there are pros and cons to zerker vs. mage?

slayer books dont make any sence tbh. A slayer sword is pretty common sence. but a slayer book? i dont plan on ever buying or using a slayer book at all. a non blessed spell book that has durability and wears out, and it costs more than 100 gp. not worth it. Not when i could just be a provoker or a tamer and take down the toughest of the tough, without having slayer anything. Slayer books are not a good idea, The only way that i see for slayer books to be relevent, is to make it something you can craft at will like any normal book/scroll, and not a chance. Or just make them blessed with no durability rating, just like a normal spell book, but make it so you have to actually put the spells inside the book in order to cast from that book.

Sure they do. You don't have to fill them with spells. With relics, they really stack up and, hell, the best use for them is actually gaining meta xp. If you are actively farming on a meta mage without a slayer book, you're doing yourself a disservice.

The End

Master
The reason slayer books don’t sell great is because and even more so now that the craft chance got jacked. They Have too many charges and cost too much to make because they burn so many blanks to craft.
When I’m selling slayer books 90% of the time I’ll either be asked or watch the <900 charge books fly off the vendor. The cost per charge is no different than what I put on the >900 books but those will sell and the higher charge ones won’t.

kurtis

Grandmaster
Not sure I understand the comments that claim slayer spellbooks are worthless. As someone mentioned, even lesser spellbooks like dragon slaying can let you just steamroll through a dungeon (destard in this case). Or if you come across a paragon that might be a bit much for a solo meta mage, grab the appropriate slayer book and watch him fall. As an example, poison elemental paragons chop through my vivify summon and by the time it dies I haven't made enough progress without a slayer book. But once I throw on the slayer spellbook, I can kill that thing before my second summon dies. Very manageable. If you are dying and losing your slayer spellbooks 3-4 times a night, that's on you. Pick a more survivable build, gear up properly, understand positioning, and learn your character better. Don't blame the price of slayer spellbooks.

In my mind, slayers should be rare and special. Something that lets you do twice as much damage (think about that for a second...*twice*) but at a huge risk of losing a valuable weapon. Slayer weapons have become so commonplace that I feel like I hardly see anyone without a slayer weapon. I'm not even excited when I loot one. It's not rare or special, it's just the norm. We've been spoiled.

I like the idea of slayers being super rare. But I agree with OP that the spellbooks prices should match weapons. If both were priced around 20-30K for super slayers, I think that's sufficient risk vs reward (keeping in mind you can make hundreds of K's off a slayer if you play smart and good).