Razor vs UoSteam

Dawgdoc

Journeyman
I'm sure this topic is beaten to death for some people but before I invest too much time into one or the other of these assist programs I'd like to get some info and opinions.

First off is UoSteam allowed or supported here on UOF? In Alan's Razor video tutorial he states that UOF is switching to Razor only but then I saw other posts after that about people using UoSteam and even linking download sites. So.......what's the scoop here?

Also, which do people prefer? I've heard that UoSteam is an updated , cleaner, and faster performing / better assist program. UoSteam has also halted its development and support though.....

If UoSteam truly performs better then I would personally use it until it no longer works at all but perhaps I'm missing something or not privy to some information.

Sallos is yet another whole discussion that I will likely leave for later, especially since with just a wee bit of tinkering I can't even get the dang thing to open lol... Eventually I plan on using either Razor or UoSteam for my crafters / vendors / bank and house squatters / etc and if I use and like Sallos use that whenever I'm playing and expecting PvP or the possibility of PvP because from what I've read and heard it's so much cleaner and performs better that it's truly a disadvantage to NOT use it. That accurate?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Smokey McCallum

Grandmaster
I'm sure this topic is beaten to death for some people but before I invest too much time into one or the other of these assist programs I'd like to get some info and opinions.

First off is UoSteam allowed or supported here on UOF? In Alan's Razor video tutorial he states that UOF is switching to Razor only but then I saw other posts after that about people using UoSteam and even linking download sites. So.......what's the scoop here?

Also, which do people prefer? I've heard that UoSteam is an updated , cleaner, and faster performing / better assist program. UoSteam has also halted its development and support though.....

If UoSteam truly performs better then I would personally use it until it no longer works at all but perhaps I'm missing something or not privy to some information.

Sallos is yet another whole discussion that I will likely leave for later, especially since with just a wee bit of tinkering I can't even get the dang thing to open lol... Eventually I plan on using either Razor or UoSteam for my crafters / vendors / bank and house squatters / etc and if I use and like Sallos use that whenever I'm playing and expecting PvP or the possibility of PvP because from what I've read and heard it's so much cleaner and performs better that it's truly a disadvantage to NOT use it. That accurate?

Thanks in advance for any info.

UOsteam is 1000% better than razor. The only people who say razor is better are people who havent tried uosteam, havent give it a fair chance or cant live without their razor/easyuo combo (pure speculation on the last 1 of course). UOsteam is much more stable than razor and scripts for crafting etc can be a lot more complex. UOsteam also has nice features like spell grid and loot grid. For pvp I use uosteam too but sallos is probably better, I love steam to much to use sallos though.

CAPTUN AUSTRALIA

Grandmaster
I use razor since i don't rely on macros to pvp/play for me.

I did try steam once, but found actions don't delay que - e.g if i press drink gh pot, then apply bandaids really fast, the second action won't go off. It got me killed a few times, to which i went - fuck it, and went back to razor.

My understanding is that steam can have quite advanced automated macros for anything from taming, resource gathering, crafting and even pvping as a zerg.

Smokey McCallum

Grandmaster
I use razor since i don't rely on macros to pvp/play for me.

I did try steam once, but found actions don't delay que - e.g if i press drink gh pot, then apply bandaids really fast, the second action won't go off. It got me killed a few times, to which i went - fuck it, and went back to razor.

My understanding is that steam can have quite advanced automated macros for anything from taming, resource gathering, crafting and even pvping as a zerg.

Its more about making mundane actions easier than about relying on it to play for you. Ive never had that problem with the delay queue personally. The delay and queued action numbers can be set manually. Im guessing you know that though so cant think why itd fuck up for you. I couldnt go back to razor now but each to there own an all that jazz.

halygon

Grandmaster
Here's the scoop. All three (Razor/UOSteam/Sallos) are legal to use .

Sallos is actually a client replacement, which means that it has an entirely different interface than the actual UO client has. It's advantages rely on its use of OpenGL to render graphics meaning it will utilize graphic card software better than the classic client and hence have higher resolution graphics and run smoother. It has a unique targeting system that is fine tuned for pvp. It does take some heavy configuration to make it usable and the macros are no more than hotkey actions running in a sequential order (ie like the built in macros of the UO Classic client).

Razor and UOSteam lay on top of the UO Classic client.

Razor is the oldest of the two and utilizes a very easy to use - but limited macro system. It does the job though and many people, pvpers, pvmers, and crafters alike still use it for its user friendliness. Don't think you can't make complex macros though, because I have seen many made for this. Also for dexxors, it is faster at some actions, such as changing weapons.

UOSteam really is like a new and improved version of Razor. It is very similar but also has quite a few features that razor could never hope of having. It has an advanced macro system that, unlike razor, is easy to update macros with, albeit it does take more technical expertise to create macros than on Razor. As said above it has a spell grid that gives one click spells in a n organized format. It also has a map that shows guild members while razor and sallos only show party members. It also tends to run quicker than razor on most machines and rarily crashes (while razor is notorious for it).

I have used all of these and personally I prefer UOSteam but I think which one to use should be up to preference and not from what other people prefer - so try them all out and make an educated decision.

Dawgdoc

Journeyman
Ty all for the info and opinions.

There is no concern at all that UOSteam is no longer being developed or supported? Seems like UOF has no problems finding technically advanced people with motivation to take up abandoned projects developement and support (from what Ive seen).

So is there any real risk I start using UOSteam then suddenly it no longer works, noone is supporting or updating it, and ive wasted my time that I invested setting everything up and need to start from scratch?

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Is there a guide for UOSteam on how to make macro's ?

There are a few websites you can visit which provide a list of UOSteam macros. If you want to learn how to script yourself and you have the patience for it, perhaps you could dissect one of the advanced scripts on there and understand what parts of said script do. I know this is not exactly what you are looking for, but it is a step in the right direction.

halygon

Grandmaster
Ty all for the info and opinions.

There is no concern at all that UOSteam is no longer being developed or supported? Seems like UOF has no problems finding technically advanced people with motivation to take up abandoned projects developement and support (from what Ive seen).

So is there any real risk I start using UOSteam then suddenly it no longer works, noone is supporting or updating it, and ive wasted my time that I invested setting everything up and need to start from scratch?
UOSteam is not open source so new project teams cannot just pick it up and continue the updates. That said, until OSI makes a classic client that functions differently, the current version of UOSteam should be sufficient for the foreseeable future.

Is there a guide for UOSteam on how to make macro's ?
There is actually a pdf guide in the installation folder for every UOSteam installation. If you have UOSteam installed, check your install folder. Plus @Experience maintains a website that assists with macros and has many sample macros to use.

Dawgdoc

Journeyman
Awesome info. All of my questions have been answered and Im going to exclusively use UO steam (and Sallos once I get back in the swing of things).

Thanks again to all who posted!