Pure mage PvM

catfud

I was wondering if it's viable to farm gold with just magery. Like with EVs or something. I was trying to farm ogres with EVs, but they aren't exactly the greatest. I don't need to make a ton of gold, but I want to make enough to sustain a crafter. Should I just suck it up and make a bard, or is can a pure mage farm gold?

Fenix

Journeyman
Mage is gimped for PvM, unless im missing something with maybe poisoning...the damage just isn't there to kill the big stuff

Yavimaya

Novice
You can kill a lot of 300-500 gold mobs with EV. Eventually you'll get tired of the fizzle rate though and want to advance into Provocation or Taming for the 1k+ gold mobs. I made about 300k just periodically killing stuff with EV while I worked up taming.

Pyroclastic elementals in Fire don't dispel that often and 2-3 EV's can take them out, they drop 1200-1500 gold. I don't usually see a pk in Fire though, Usually it is a gang of PKs lol so be rdy for that!

kurtis

Grandmaster
I was wondering if it's viable to farm gold with just magery. Like with EVs or something. I was trying to farm ogres with EVs, but they aren't exactly the greatest. I don't need to make a ton of gold, but I want to make enough to sustain a crafter. Should I just suck it up and make a bard, or is can a pure mage farm gold?

I pretty much agree with what everyone above said. However, you can find spots to make some decent gold with just magery. Really, you just have to know exactly which spots and monsters are good for your offense - which is summoned EV's, daemons, and offensive spells. I'm going to assume your magery char has Eval too? Or are you talking about your crafter that just has GM magery/medi? There is a big difference.

Even summoning a demon and running through a place like Shame killing fire, air, earth and magma eles will make you a surprising amount of gold, especially after you sell the gems. They only drop 200-300 gold, but they go down very very fast to a daemon and your ebolts flying in. In the time it takes to kill one of those big nasties that drop 1.5-2K, you can kill 5 or 6 eles. And Blood eles drop about 1K and hardly ever dispel daemons too. The trick with the bigger monsters is to cast poison field once they are fighting your summon. That way, they just sit there and try to cure themselves and hardly fight back or dispel. And on this server, poison field won't turn you grey if an innocent runs over it. Another way to kill faster is to throw a weapon skill like archery on your mage. Then you could even farm liches with a silver bowand start making way more gold.

That said, you'll never make as much as a dexer killing liches, or a provoker, or a tamer.

But it's nice to not have to build too many chars just to make gold, especially if you don't need much. I completely understand why you're hoping to not have to make a separate gold-farming char. I'm the same way.