Prov Archer Done...Whats next?

Boomclack

Apprentice
So I've done a lot of research on the best starting character to get going on UOF. I have a GM Prov Archer with hiding and im starting to get some coin saved up. Now I was wondering, what is next. I know that in Ultima you forge your own path and do what is fun to you, but for pvp. What would the best template be to start with as a beginner pvp'er. Would love full template breakdowns or just any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Imortalin

I did same thing made a provo archer and had a blast then saw what tamers can do and now I am working taming. Thats what I would recommend. They are king at gold farming...

Shortbus

Grandmaster
Best template for starting PvP is probably a Heal Mage or Alchy Dexxer...but it is however you want to play and whatever template you want to play.

Heal Mage - Magery, Meditation, Eval Int, Resist, Wrestling, Anatomy, Healing
Alchy Dexxer - Fighting Skill, Tactics, Anatomy, Healing, Resist, Alchemy, your choice (Hiding, Magery, Poisoning are the normal choices)

It is easier to restock a mage for PvP (and cheaper) because you don't need to spend money on weapons and armor, you are just restocking regs, bandages (if needed), and leather armor. Learn to throw pots...go to the pits, set a [template and learn to weave your pots in with your spells. Most (99%) of all duels in the pits are 5x or 7x Mage. Also at the pits, you get free stock (regs and pots) to use for the fight, so it's a good way to learn.

Enjoy and have fun, being a sandbox, play what you want!

halygon

Grandmaster
I would actually recommend a Scribe Macer - good defence and you can learn the basics while having some protection from mage spell dumps. It is not a template that will be an offensive powerhouse, but easy to play and get the hang of things. Once you are more comfortable with pvp in general, you can drop scribe for alchy to have a true alchy dexxor.

The template looks like:

100.0 Mace Fighting
100.0 Tactics
100.0 Anatomy
100.0 Healing
100.0 Resisting Spells
100.0 Magery
100.0 Inscription

You build the template by initially gaining meditation along with Magery and Resisting spells. Once you have Magery/Resist at GM, then you train Inscription (which also requires meditation). Once you are GM Mage/Resist/Scribe, you can down arrow meditation and train the other four skills to GM. I personally find that fighting and healing another player who is not fighting back (note they have to be GM in some weapon skill) is the easiest way for the fighting skills to be trained. You can even do it in your house with a macro that heals your opponent and equips a new weapon once your current one is broken.