Poisoning Archer/MAGE

Think0808

Neophyte
Been playing UO so long. Just thinking about this not really into the details but an archer nox mage? Anybody tried this? Cast DP start flinging arrows?

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

thechemicals

Apprentice
Nope, gimped template. How long is "so long" you should know this gimped.

Everytime you equip a bow you reset the swing timer to 3 seconds. In 3 seconds, 2 spells have already taken half your life and you return the favor with a poison spell which does nothing to threaten your opponent. You have nothing to capitalize on.

The nox mage is an advanced template and does not work for most players. On this shard the nox mage is very weak because cure potions have no cooldown timer and you can cure 100% of the time from spells and potions and bandaids in pvp. The advanced poison effects take something like 4-6 seconds to tick.....and then you have resistance.

I suppose you can try using a heavyxbow for an initial shot, then poison spell, followed by weaker spells like lightning and fireball, then back to poison spell, and finally a flamestrike. However....you just put 200 points into archery/tactics to only use it as an initial opener. Requipping a heavyxbow is like 4-5 second delay timer.

Lastly...youll drive yourself mad trying to balance dex and int when you could just go full nox mage with a stun punch. Use the stun punch in combination with poison and some small spells and you might have something worth fighting with.

Think0808

Neophyte
Lol thanks thats the details i was wondering. Why do we have spammable pots?

Think0808

Neophyte
Just tired of the dex vs mage pvp... i know its a fragile balance but for a game that is so great wish there was more diverse pvp.

Gedron

Master
Unfortunately poisoning is really only a craft skill on this shard. There's been a lot of changes to try and make it worth something in pvp, but it never took. Take everyone else's advice and don't do poisoning unless you want to be able to DP weapons, in that case stick it on your crafter char and GM alchemy while you're working it and turn that into an alchy/stun or alchy/dexxer.

It sucks but it is what it is :p gl

Sent from my TI-84 plus silver edition calculator

jyscal

Neophyte
Unfortunately poisoning is really only a craft skill on this shard. There's been a lot of changes to try and make it worth something in pvp, but it never took. Take everyone else's advice and don't do poisoning unless you want to be able to DP weapons, in that case stick it on your crafter char and GM alchemy while you're working it and turn that into an alchy/stun or alchy/dexxer.

It sucks but it is what it is :p gl

Sent from my TI-84 plus silver edition calculator

gonna have to disagree 100%. poisoning isnt good on a mage but on a dexer it doubles your chances to apply the poison, plus you can reapply poison in combat. your initial poison charges are probably gonna trade with your opponents cure pots, so just one application is not gonna cut it.

Gedron

Master
gonna have to disagree 100%. poisoning isnt good on a mage but on a dexer it doubles your chances to apply the poison, plus you can reapply poison in combat. your initial poison charges are probably gonna trade with your opponents cure pots, so just one application is not gonna cut it.

Reapplying poison mid-fight sounds like it would be pretty useful, but honestly I've only ever seen it happen 2 or 3 times out of 100's of fights. Maybe my experience has been different than yours, but I think 100 skill points are better spent elsewhere. Trust me, I want nothing more than for poisoning to be as viable as a skill such as alchemy, but I just don't feel it is.

jyscal

Neophyte
Reapplying poison mid-fight sounds like it would be pretty useful, but honestly I've only ever seen it happen 2 or 3 times out of 100's of fights. Maybe my experience has been different than yours, but I think 100 skill points are better spent elsewhere. Trust me, I want nothing more than for poisoning to be as viable as a skill such as alchemy, but I just don't feel it is.

and your thoughts on doubling your chance to poison someone? you left that part out which is a pretty big deal, you deplete their cure pots at double the rate which is very relevant

Gedron

Master
Yeah that is a new addition that I hadn't caught at the time (I just started playing again this past week). That's a big perk and one we argued in the early months of the shard, I'm glad to see it finally implemented. Though it does nothing for nox mages. I still stand by my original suggestions from before:

http://www.uoforum.com/threads/pvp-changes-for-poisoning-and-inscription.3246/#post-23764

Here are some other good threads on poisoning from the past that may have some good info to refresh on.

http://www.uoforum.com/threads/poisoning-bonuses-cure-chance.1427/page-2#post-10332

http://www.uoforum.com/threads/huge-disappointment-poisoning.1584/

Check it out an see how you feel about it. I am hopeful now that they may decide to change poisoning and make it more competitive now. The change they made in the Nov 19th patch was a MASSIVE step in the right direction considering they told everyone earlier this year it was never going to be changed again. That being said, thank you guys for giving this another look :)

Bromista

Grandmaster
I have a nox fencer archer that I have yet to properly test. Theoretically I can use a couple different combinations to take down opponents:

DP with a one hander and chase with archery.

Para blow with spear and use that time towards the cool-down of equipping xbow or heavy xbow for some heavy hits.

Lead off with heavy xbow (that can easily be healed through) to get opponent to let guard down before switching to spear/kryss.

In my mind those are the big three, although other strategies may present themselves with future useage. Either way I am operating under the assumption that archery will be more valuable for gunning runners down that alchemy. That and the shared skills between fencing and archery make a nox dexxer seem a lot more practical than a nox mage dexxer because of the massive amounts of sacrifices needed to fit all those skills in to one template.