Pet Stealing

Kears

Master
I've been playing a couple of years in UOF, recently just came back and doubt I can be considered new player but I've just been pk'ed by $N$ guild in fire temple last night twice. Both times they don't even loot me, they simply just lure my shadow nightmare away, then to pet trap it.

I feel grieved and frustrated. But it was only for a split sec as I had pet balled it. No harm done except for 2 charges which amounts to 35k in gold. Some farming should get it back. I am a tamer and I expected this, especially playing UO. My pets are my prized possession and people want them so badly. The harsh environment and all hence I am always prepared for the worst when I roam the world, please don't make it anymore easy for me.

The risk and thrill must be there otherwise then it won't be UO felucca anymore. (FYI I quit UO back in OSI after trying UO Trammel for 2 weeks)

I encountered the same situation as the OP and was done by the infamous E*** guild, they didn't bother to let me ransom or talk to me, just wanted to grief.. Can't play tamer for 1-2 days but hey, we all adapt and learn..that's why I now use pet balls.

Case in point, don't stop this evil act, if any vets want to help. Donate a lil of your wealth for a pet ball to the new players and let them learn this game, the risk, thrill and true fun of Ultima Online.

Cheers.

Last edited:

cups

Grandmaster
Nobody is saying to end pet stealing. Simply asking for a way to accept you’ve lost your pet and move on. Too many people focus on pet balls but it’s not about that. It’s about those who don’t have one being unable to play their character for 30 hours because they can’t even tame a new pet. Everybody has different schedules. Getting locked out of your character for a day may not be a big deal to you but what about people that can only play on the weekends? You effectively waste over half of it. Again nobody is saying we need to stop the evil act of pet theft, we just need to let people who have fallen victim to it have a way to cut their old pets loose so they can continue playing. Posting long stories about having your pet stolen years ago and saying you stuck around doesn’t really matter. It’s apples and oranges. People vary. Just because you ate your loss doesn’t mean everyone will follow suit.

Let me just ask you guys this: Why shouldn’t players be able to release their pets that are trapped that they can’t access? Give me one good reason that isn’t far-fetched. I think we all know the only reason people wouldn’t want that to happen is so they can continue to grief.

Kears

Master
Nobody is saying to end pet stealing. Simply asking for a way to accept you’ve lost your pet and move on. Too many people focus on pet balls but it’s not about that. It’s about those who don’t have one being unable to play their character for 30 hours because they can’t even tame a new pet. Everybody has different schedules. Getting locked out of your character for a day may not be a big deal to you but what about people that can only play on the weekends? You effectively waste over half of it. Again nobody is saying we need to stop the evil act of pet theft, we just need to let people who have fallen victim to it have a way to cut their old pets loose so they can continue playing. Posting long stories about having your pet stolen years ago and saying you stuck around doesn’t really matter. It’s apples and oranges. People vary. Just because you ate your loss doesn’t mean everyone will follow suit.

Let me just ask you guys this: Why shouldn’t players be able to release their pets that are trapped that they can’t access? Give me one good reason that isn’t far-fetched. I think we all know the only reason people wouldn’t want that to happen is so they can continue to grief.

So you are basically trying to suggest a change to game mechanics because you think think grieving via this method is excessive. I think there are lots of other things that are excessive grieving including the introduction of pet skill loss. All tamers are subjected to be grieved constantly via pk reds killing our pets after pking us, and we had to retrain/skillscroll our pets all the time. Shouldn't this take priority? Can you take up this cause and do an appeal post as well. I will support you on that than...well, this (releasing).

Edit: Oh and for your sake, I clarify further that I am not just saying to not stop pet stealing, I meant to say stop suggesting any changes to this evil act (which include releasing via other methods, which is a change to the game itself). Yes i ate the loss and I'm sure others did too, not sure why is the OP so special for you to take up his cause.

Last edited:

girana

Grandmaster

stay in a dungeon == pets dont get trapped

cups

Grandmaster
Keats, you are simply going off on nonsensical tangents. You aren’t really contributing anything. You keep trying to compare apples to oranges. I don’t know how your pets losing skill when dying is comparable to not being able to play for 30 hours. You’re trying too hard to make some point but you lack logic. I’m not trying to be rude but you really make little sense.

Kears

Master
Keats, you are simply going off on nonsensical tangents. You aren’t really contributing anything. You keep trying to compare apples to oranges. I don’t know how your pets losing skill when dying is comparable to not being able to play for 30 hours. You’re trying too hard to make some point but you lack logic. I’m not trying to be rude but you really make little sense.

Well let me simplify for you in point form:

1. You want change because of excessive grieving
2. I think you are a saint looking out for acts of excessive grieving
3. I suggest that this isn't the worst kind of excessive grieving
4. Where reds purposely killing pets to induce pet skill loss, making tamers pay and pay is far worse (a very old issue)
5. You think reds induced pet killing causing pet skill loss isn't comparable to unable to release pets, which is resolvable by pet balling, where tamers also had to pay and pay (no comments on that, it's your view)
6. I may be crazy but I can see that both cases are resolvable by making tamers pay and pay

I understand you want your suggestion to be strong and don't care to understand others' perspective and who says what hence this will be my last post.

#stopmakingtamerspay

Stoned.Southern

Apprentice
He had a way to release them he opted out of it... all he had to do was pay.. and I troll and grief everyone .. werkt is nothing special.. you know how many werkt pets we have trapped this month?? We've prolly even trapped yours .. not my fault he doesn't have a pet ball or didn't want to pay..

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
He had a way to release them he opted out of it... all he had to do was pay.. and I troll and grief everyone .. werkt is nothing special.. you know how many werkt pets we have trapped this month?? We've prolly even trapped yours .. not my fault he doesn't have a pet ball or didn't want to pay..

When one shits in their own sandbox enough, it's becomes to foul to play in anymore... It's one thing to grief a veteran, but new players coming back to the game, being treated this way, makes for a quick exit for them...

Stoned.Southern

Apprentice
Lol areyoukidden..... this will be my last post in this thread lol because I could truly careless.. cups just likes to talk and he loves when he can talk about us.. I'm just saying every pet we have ever taking *even swampies* we offer to sell them back . Yes we are portrayed as assholes the evil of the server.. we just play the game our way. We are assholes for sure but like I told him on discord, offer a decent amount and you can get your pet back. He coulda had it back with in the first 5 minutes of us taking it.

But don't worry yall keep crying eppy will fix it like always @@

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
On a new player, whatever amount they offered probably wouldn't have been enough, and when you have to offer your entire savings to date to get a pet back you just walk away, apparently for 30 hours.. or much much longer, depending on how triggered you are... For a new player that's everything to them.. For a veteran, taking 500k off a person with 10's of millions, that's just an idiot tax..

It's funny because no one is suggesting pet stealing to go away, or that you can't make gold doing it, or that you shouldn't do it. Only that current mechanics are a pure disrespect to players time, and allow for straight up griefing, which is never healthy. 30 hours, unable to do anything on your tamer, when you've already resigned yourself to the fact the pet is gone.. that's just wrong.

I have no issue with how you guys play the game, I just understand the point cups is trying to make.. And when someone brings a logical valid argument, discussed in a well written way, it's hard for me to call it crying.

Still waiting to see a good answer to this:

Couldn't agree more with AreYouKidden and Cups.. There is absolutely no reason that anyone should have that kind of control just because they don't get along with someone. Also, just to clarify, I didn't post this thread to cry.. I didn't have the pet balled because I simply didn't give a shit about it. Clearly you fuckboys do because you decided not to kill it the second time. I understand completely it was my fault for losing it and I even laughed a little bit when it happened again. For the record, to avoid this going forward, everything I own is balled. Money was never the issue. I just refused to give in to you turds. I know that wont deter you and your gang of butt pirates going forward.. SO, until the next time I recall to my house and you guys are waiting there with 4 reds and boxes in front of my door... as you guys would say "get fukt!" :)

Kulle

Novice
Lol areyoukidden..... this will be my last post in this thread lol because I could truly careless.. cups just likes to talk and he loves when he can talk about us.. I'm just saying every pet we have ever taking *even swampies* we offer to sell them back . Yes we are portrayed as assholes the evil of the server.. we just play the game our way. We are assholes for sure but like I told him on http://discord.uoforever.com, offer a decent amount and you can get your pet back. He coulda had it back with in the first 5 minutes of us taking it.

so you guys are mad b/c someone doesn't want to play by YOUR rules. So you band of pet thieves decided to not allow him to play UOF? you want this place to be an empty server?

cups

Grandmaster
Lol areyoukidden..... this will be my last post in this thread lol because I could truly careless.. cups just likes to talk and he loves when he can talk about us.. I'm just saying every pet we have ever taking *even swampies* we offer to sell them back . Yes we are portrayed as assholes the evil of the server.. we just play the game our way. We are assholes for sure but like I told him on http://http://http://http://discord.uoforever.com.uoforever.com.uoforever.com.uoforever.com, offer a decent amount and you can get your pet back. He coulda had it back with in the first 5 minutes of us taking it.

You like to go on about "its us vs. the server" because it makes you feel important or relevant. I can tell you right now your guild means little to me. A couple solid players, many mediocre players and weird euros. I have a long history of vouching for pet owners and have been anti pet theft since my early days on this server. I have chided my own guildmates on several occasions for pet thievery. I have paid them to release pets to newbies who didn't have them balled. Those who know me will vouch for that. I am not seizing some opportunity to bash and make fun of VANQ. I do that in the pvp forum. I genuinely think people that play like you just hurt the server and I don't support it. Like Kidden said, you shit in your sandbox enough times and nobody wants to play in it anymore. Great analogy.

I also have to laugh at your dig against eppy. Your guild cries for changes to him day in and day out. Nerfed spider damage? Check. No ankh in arch demon? Check. Ankhs no longer rezzing grey players? Check. Don't be a hypocrite.

Last edited: