Parrying

Has there been any thought on what can be done to boost parry?

Maybe somehow make it work against spells too, possibly give it a reflective property? Even with bonuses to parry it's still at a disadvantage due to only being able to equip a one handed weapon. Also, what about some type of mage shield?

Even better.... what about parry nullifies explo pot damage?!?!?

The reason I make these suggestions is to just introduce some more variety into templates (pvp) and because the nerd in me thinks board and sword look damn sweet. Or would this take us too much away from UO:R UO.

Thoughts? I guess I just miss seeing shields here and there, no one uses shields.

Parrying Bonus (with shield equipped)

at 40 parrying you now have the chance to parry mage spells as well as physical damage
at 60 parrying give a 25% chance to reflect parried damage
at 80 parrying you parry all paralyze spells
at GM parrying explosion pot damage is reduced by 50%

Seems pretty powerful, but then maybe not because again you are limited to using a one handed weapon. I'm thinking if your a pvper parrying will still not be worth it, but if your just out hunting it will be a godsend.

halygon

Grandmaster
I like the idea of being able to parry exp pots. It should not be a 100% chance, but maybe the same amount of chance to parry an archery hit.

Exp pots should have some sort of nemesis IMO.

Parry vs magic = terrible idea. Parry is pretty damn stout vs melee damage, which is what it is for. It is not meant to do anything against magic. Asking for it to do so would only make parry an overpowered (OP) skill.

TheGooch

Master
When I think of parry it reminds me of the ol days with "townies". Boosting it against xplo pots would be a nice addition. Against magic? I dunno, you would possibly start to see groups that have lead dexxer or 2 with parry eating up spells and the mages behind just bombing away freely.

halygon

Grandmaster
When I think of parry it reminds me of the ol days with "townies". Boosting it against xplo pots would be a nice addition. Against magic? I dunno, you would possibly start to see groups that have lead dexxer or 2 with parry eating up spells and the mages behind just bombing away freely.
Actually you would see roach mages that wear a shield any time they are not casting.

Yeah, if parry worked against magic, it would be abused by folks to no end.
I guess I'm not seeing how this would be OP, your still only hitting with a war axe or war fork at best, right? They would be tough as nails, but that would be the point right?

halygon

Grandmaster
I guess I'm not seeing how this would be OP, your still only hitting with a war axe or war fork at best, right? They would be tough as nails, but that would be the point right?
Its not overpowered in the way that it deals massive amounts of dps. It is overpowered in the way of defense.

On the UOGamer's freeshard named uoforever, they have this plate armor that is quite rare. It gives a ton of AR, looks cool, is blessed, and does not take away any dex. Because of all this, most players see it as overpowered because if you wear a full set of it, you are pretty much invincible to melee attacks. Anyways -- the point is that it is overpowered in defending as opposed to dealing damage.

Changing parry to protect against magic would be like this ^^.

Its not overpowered in the way that it deals massive amounts of dps. It is overpowered in the way of defense.

On the UOGamer's freeshard named uoforever, they have this plate armor that is quite rare. It gives a ton of AR, looks cool, is blessed, and does not take away any dex. Because of all this, most players see it as overpowered because if you wear a full set of it, you are pretty much invincible to melee attacks. Anyways -- the point is that it is overpowered in defending as opposed to dealing damage.

Changing parry to protect against magic would be like this ^^.
Is there anyone who thinks parry doesn't need some help? I think it would be cool to see more shields running around.

Magpie

Adept
Yes, parry could use another boost. They did boost it a bit ago along with the armor boost (I believe) but it's still not terribly versatile.

The only time it feels worth it is if you go up against another dexxer in PvP, then you're pretty much invincible. But, if that ever happens, the other dexxer usually will just give up and run away from the fight because they're never going to win against a parrying dexxer.

If anything, I wish they'd boost it in PvM more. If spells could potentially be reflected (or absorbed) with shield or could take some serious fire damage (say from dragons but only if you were using a heater shield or something), that would be great. And obviously this wouldn't impact PvP at all but at least make the skill more attractive. Not really sure how you could boost it in PvP without seriously messing up some balance against mages. Explode pot protection is a good even start though..

It is a pretty ignored skill here on UOF. I have it GM'd on my PvM dexxer. I wear full plate and a heater shield just because it looks ridiculous and its fun to have super high AR.. but all of the sacrifices I make to do that (dex loss, a full skill slot devoted to parry) outweigh the benefits. I'm sort of banking on a boost to Parry one day..

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman2kx

Novice
Parry should definitely be boosted. Even if it's to somehow benefit your 2 handed weapon to make it worth squeezing in a template. The skill is called parry, not shields!

As of now parry sucks to fight against as a dexxer in pvp. Seriously.. have you tried to kill a dexxer with parry on your dexxer? It's incredibly annoying. Dexxers have pretty damn good survivability... run heal chug, run heal chug. Adding a benefit against mages would make parry terribly OP. Think about it.. mages have a limited amount of mana but dexxers can go on forever. This would be a nightmare. I honestly dono how they could buff this for pvp.. like you said maybe could have them resist paralyze or poison more often. I don't think this would make every pvp dexxer go and change their template up, especially with the alchemy changes, but maybe give pvm dexxers a little extra something against PKs.

However, I do think parry needs a huge buff for PvM. Right now bards and tamers rule PvM... where the hell are all the dexxers? Oh yea despise killing ettins.

In my personal opinion parry should be able to reflect PVM spells.. not pvp. A pvmer with parry wielding a shield/1h wep, should literally take no damage at the cost of damage the dexxer puts out... a tank if you will. A parry dexxer wielding a 2h wep should take more damage ( which would require more skilled players to play ), but still take insignificant damage. I think this guy should be able to go toe to toe with a dragon no problem. " your fingers slip " should also not happen NEARLY as often. Additionally I think tying in resist with parry should add a higher chance to deflecting spells.

I think it would be cool to see dexxers in places like khaldun and destard.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Alligam

PVM: Magic shield whit slayers property, that decrease any damage from mobs... would be a GREAT thing!!
OR pvm\pvp: a shield whit elemental resistance in % from 5 to 50 (?!?)
or whit % to DEflect a spell (reflect is too much)
OR % to absorb an elements spell\damage returning back 20% damage when shield block a melee hit
OR anything would give value to parry...a little useful skill!!

Maybe it would be nice whit parry+inscription(or another skill idk!!!) having the ability to enchant a particular shield with X charges of a property listed above or whatever you want!!

It would be nice to work on this idea to make it balanced andimplement it.
would the shield the value it deserves, and more playability for warriors (no more dexer only)

I play ultima online since 1999 and here from 1year... the only weak point here is the playability different from mage template and war template!
Increase Warrior's playability uo forever would be PERFECT!

sry x the grammar errors but I'm Italian!!

BB!