Outdated website and wiki

RaZzi

Neophyte
Just saying. If a new player starts here he/she would have tough time finding all the info he/she needs. For example Meta steeds are in the game but there are no info on those anywhere? I saw a mature frogling the other day, try founding out what it is...

Who controls the Uof wiki page and how wiki pages work in general? Could the owner of the wiki page perhaps make it so that I could update the info for the wiki?

PekatronIII

Grandmaster
Many players have forgotten that this is a free shard, and demand more
facepalm.png

idk.png

fillyblunts

Novice
Many players have forgotten that this is a free shard, and demand more
facepalm.png

idk.png

LoL, dbag. Dude is offering to help update the wiki....plz level reading comprehension to gm.

Just saying. If a new player starts here he/she would have tough time finding all the info he/she needs. For example Meta steeds are in the game but there are no info on those anywhere? I saw a mature frogling the other day, try founding out what it is...

Who controls the Uof wiki page and how wiki pages work in general? Could the owner of the wiki page perhaps make it so that I could update the info for the wiki?

Have you tried logging into the wiki? I know most wiki's will allow you to submit changes/additions. Not sure if ours is that way, but worth a shot.

Young Star

Grandmaster
The search tool kinda weird when trying to find posts like the meta steed one. A lot of times you get better search results when you try to create a new post and it gives you a list of related topics. There is a lot of good info in posts that get buried quickly once people stop commenting and it takes some digging to find it even when you know what you are looking for.

Staff can only edit the wiki. It would maybe help to expand the editors to select players that have shown to have made quality contributions of informative posts. Somehow being able to tag posts as wiki candidate info would be nice as well.

Desi

Grandmaster
I searched google with "meta steeds uo forever forum" and had instant results finding above thread.

darthdeus

Journeyman

I discussed this briefly with @eppy yesterday, and basically what it comes down to is that there's too many herpyderpers who'd just troll the wiki if it was in public access, but it might be possible to get an account if you request it personally.

Furync

Grandmaster
Why not give all of us a sort of edit access to the wiki with halygon ultimately having an "approved or not approved" button to all modifications?

Wouldn't that make life easier for all parties?

I'm not super familiar with wikis but I'm pretty sure this type of oversight can be done.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Cephlen

Neophyte
Another new player here, and I totally agree. The documentation is very poor, and one of the biggest hurdles. At least provide a link farm to informative posts in the wiki.

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
Yeah, I use google also to search this site. Works well, just search "UO Forever + search phrase." Then you'll see some threads listed from this forum, so click on "display more from this site" or whatever the option is. I think letting users update the wiki is a good idea, as long as it's all vetted through some editor. As the OP mentioned, there's a lot of outdated and absent information as well as a lot of dead links. Allowing users to contribute will make it robust and dynamic. All staff needs to do is assign someone to edit and vet the submissions.

darthdeus

Journeyman
irc is best help for new players

IRC is mostly useless imho. Everyone keeps asking the same question over and over again, you don't have to point them for details, everyone has a different opinion about how things work, so half of what you learn on IRC is wrong as well. Wiki fixes all of these issues.

darthdeus

Journeyman
Probably because they're exploits you're abusing?

There are a lot of people willing to share what they know, so that the whole server can benefit, instead of just trying to get everyone to leave.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member

Pretty much everything is a search away on the forums here.

We've had MANY people do the wiki, we've had many people update information on the site. Everytime we've given access we've either had to revoke it or had everything deleted over some childish things.

Unfortunately trust on the internet is a rare commodity these days.

I was looking at our site the other day and the main information on it is pretty outdated.
I will update that in the near future here, thank you for your input on our bad website!