Not able to recall when attacked

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
So today I got attacked by a PK and after a bit of running and enough safe distance to reliably cast recall, i hit my recall macro only to see "Wouldst thou flee during the heat of battle?" I thought it was rather odd cause I didn't try to fight back at all I literally just ran cause I didn't want to lose my weapon. But then I thought "well maybe I swung at him once or twice as I was trying to escape" and thought maybe that had put me in combat and caused me to not be able to recall.

But just now I got attacked by some orcs (the role playing ones). They popped out of hiding and shot at me. I know I definitely did not swing at any of them cause they were all archers and I ran about a half screen away and immediately tried to cast recall but it gave me the same message about the heat of battle.

What's going on here? It's always been that you don't get that message unless you actually start fighting the person, and even the odd swing or two while trying to run away doesn't ever seem to cause this message to come up.

Is this a new change or a bug or what? I've always been able to recall when attacked by pks until now it seems.

Zorlac

Journeyman
I'm not sure if this applies to you and I maybe wrong about this but I think with the new changes that even if you're blue but you have a count then you can not recall when someone engages you.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I think a compromise would be adopting uoforever system where if you had counts you couldnt recall but could still gate/go through gates.

CAPTUN AUSTRALIA

Grandmaster
I think a compromise would be adopting uoforever system where if you had counts you couldnt recall but could still gate/go through gates.

It's also really shit when you attack someone and you have flee literally for like 45-60 seconds, even after they recall.

My main gripe is when i willingly fight people (who of course call in - as per the UOF pvp guide 101), i die to 2 (rarely)-10 of them and get instant statlossed for 2 days for my troubles - even when i honorably fight them outnumbered. On top of that i'm geared to the max, meaning each death costs a fortune to begin with.

I think statloss in 2015 is just so ********, with new games constantly coming out and the fact it's already close to 20 years old, why make it more difficult for players to want to log in? 7 days till battlefront.... with the current player mentality (zerg/gm running/general faggotry) there may come a point where i go 'fuck it', i'll spend my free time elsewhere.

I think zergs are shitty, but punishment could be simply banishing them from said dungeon for 4 hours or something.

Here's a fun fact: EA's subscription paying Ultima Online has not had any form of statloss since 2003 (~12 years), meaning for over half of this game's life, there has been no statloss - you have the punishment of being attackable by anyone at anytime.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Here's a fun fact: EA's subscription paying Ultima Online has not had any form of statloss since 2003 (~12 years), meaning for over half of this game's life, there has been no statloss - you have the punishment of being attackable by anyone at anytime.

Yeah, but Trammel was introduced so it pretty much took away the need to fight for resources and although resources were increased in Felucia, there really wasn't any need to visit fel as a craftsman or PVM char.. This is the issue with new changes, everyone who is red will be affected in some way or form and I must admit, I find it highly unfair that solo reds also get dragged down with the ongoing shit storm. The other issue is that anyone with a count now will be faced with these consequences. On the other hand, something had/has to be done about Large zergs, be it red or blue.

The idea of being kicked out of dungeons is actually a very good idea.

CAPTUN AUSTRALIA

Grandmaster
Yeah, but Trammel was introduced so it pretty much took away the need to fight for resources and although resources were increased in Felucia, there really wasn't any need to visit fel as a craftsman or PVM char.. This is the issue with new changes, everyone who is red will be affected in some way or form and I must admit, I find it highly unfair that solo reds also get dragged down with the ongoing shit storm. The other issue is that anyone with a count now will be faced with these consequences. On the other hand, something had/has to be done about Large zergs, be it red or blue.

The idea of being kicked out of dungeons is actually a very good idea.

TBH, take away the target closest/next functions and 95%+ of the bad players who zerg won't be able to target you before a recall is casted, let alone an entire battle. This is part of the problem - shit mages in groups of 2-10+ can easily disrupt this old game through the use of assist targeting macros that previously wern't available on the older versions of UO. I could further babble on how this has caused the demise of the warrior in group battles, but there is no real use.

This change won't happen and/or shit players will find another clutch to get around it.

End of the day, we're on a dying game. As much as i love it, it's changed dramatically over the years, and most players have evolved to literally shit bags (i'm talking about veterans here). Yes, you can hate on myself all you want because i cause you grief in killing you, but in general terms, i'm one of the rare and few pks that fights for the thrill and openly takes outnumbered odds against myself. Increase my risks (which are coming in any time), and you must just find i, and other ballsy players may not be around anymore. One could argue "play a blue factioner" - well, if i did that i would be lucky to get 1 fight every 24 hours. You literally have to be red to create your own battle nowadays, which mostly consists of blue players calling in larger numbers to zerg, then grief your head for instant statloss.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
TBH, take away the target closest/next functions and 95%+ of the bad players who zerg won't be able to target you before a recall is casted, let alone an entire battle. This is part of the problem - shit mages in groups of 2-10+ can easily disrupt this old game through the use of assist targeting macros that previously wern't available on the older versions of UO. I could further babble on how this has caused the demise of the warrior in group battles, but there is no real use.

This change won't happen and/or shit players will find another clutch to get around it.

End of the day, we're on a dying game. As much as i love it, it's changed dramatically over the years, and most players have evolved to literally shit bags (i'm talking about veterans here). Yes, you can hate on myself all you want because i cause you grief in killing you, but in general terms, i'm one of the rare and few pks that fights for the thrill and openly takes outnumbered odds against myself. Increase my risks (which are coming in any time), and you must just find i, and other ballsy players may not be around anymore. One could argue "play a blue factioner" - well, if i did that i would be lucky to get 1 fight every 24 hours. You literally have to be red to create your own battle nowadays, which mostly consists of blue players calling in larger numbers to zerg, then grief your head for instant statloss.

Some veteran UO players on here really need to re-adjust their attitudes, it is though they feel the need to belittle and generally be egotistical over a very old game which, I can not understand what they actually get out of it. Don't get me wrong, I am no angel myself, I have my moments, but I know what is right from wrong when it comes to dealing with people *the majority of times*. Perhaps if the attitude where people understood what direction they would take the server in, then maybe some of these changes wouldn't have been so critically hard and a compromise would have been discussed and introduced.

I respect that you play the way you do, I have always held high regard for people who go it alone and more so, those who choose a hard path and shine with it *solo red* and I still say these changes should not apply to you guys who really hold the UO spirit at heart, I have always considered red players to be in a small, select group of very good players and said players are to be feared and respected, not hated as the current theme seems to go nowadays.

I found a red guy dead at brit graveyard the other day, his corpse was still fresh and had regs but surprisingly, his head was still in place, I cut the body and waited for the red guy to come back, which he did, I gave him his head back and felt good about myself for some reason and I will admit, I have been vocal about the red zerging problems here *I know what it is like to be nerfed into oblivion, I play a thief *a very average one at the moment* and have experienced game breaking changes for my class :(.

Damn, am I the only one having issues with the forums?

halygon

Grandmaster

True story - next /closest target hotkeys have been around in the UO client prior to 2001 and still exist to today. This same, yet slightly expanded targeting hotkey function is available in Razor/UOSteam/Sallos because it is a staple within the UO (OSI) client. It is also a staple in almost every other MMORPG to date.

My point is, while it does enable large zergs to well zerg, it is not something that CAN be removed at all.

Kael

Master
I don't recall next closest target working the same as they do now. I could be wrong but didn't it just toggle through names and high light available targets that you could then add as the target? The big battles over spawns always seemed to go to the most organized and skilled group and they usually ran with a great field caller.