Noob needs advice on a Mage.

Keltonator

Grandmaster
I always sucked at playing on a Mage back when I was a kid, so when I got back into uof my initial thought was just go with a pvp dexxer, which is what I've been running with lately and I feel pretty comfortable with him. I really want to try my hand at making a Mage though, but I'm not very familiar with the perks of each template. He would be a pvp char, so having anatomy/wrestling for stun inch is a must. My question is what are the pros and cons with inscription and alchemy, I guess inscribe gives a damage bonus to certain spells? Not really sure, would really appreciate some input. Thanks!

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
Inscribe doesn't give a boost to spell damage here, it only boosts defensive spells like reflect, reactive armor, and protection (I think). Alchemy gives a 50% damage boost to explosion pots. I'd say most people run with alchemy, but it takes a lot of practice to get down the art of throwing explosion pots. My suggestion would be to practice with both setups in CTF's/duals and see which you like better

Keltonator

Grandmaster
Okay, good info, thanks. Also considered going with GM poisoning instead in inscribe or alchemy; what are your thoughts on that?
And how exactly do I get in on ctf and duals? Never done it before.

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
I personally use a stun poison mage, I like it. It's a little tricky though because you have to try to be close to the person to get the higher poisons. CTF's are kinda random. There's a "battle well" at brit bank that can be used to start CTF's, but it's not fast. Admins also randomly start CTF's, usually later in the evening. Once a CTF has been started a little gump will pop up asking if you wanted to join, you can't miss it. As for duals, you can go to the brit docks and offer to dual people by saying "i wish to dual". Since those go by the [templates command, you can set up your templates to test them all out

Keltonator

Grandmaster
Badass, I'll try it out later this evening sometime. The docs you're referring to are the ones just south of Brit West Bank, right?

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
Yup, the place where you have to go through a little portal to get to. Should be a lot of people there hanging out

DarkThoughts

Neophyte
If your trying to find a build for pvp you might also consider an alchy. stun mage.. With alchemy your Explo. pots will hit for a higher amount and this gives you a chance to hit for some damage while your chasing someone through the woods instead of losing them off screen while your waiting out your cast time. Wait for them to be the ones to run into that tree while dodging explosions and then start your cast while they're stumbling around obstacles. Also with the stun you have the chance to add another 20 or so damage to your dump while they're a sitting target.

Keltonator

Grandmaster
I did consider alcy, but I have like zero experience with throwing explo pots, and from what I gather it's a fine art that takes time to perfect, and I'm lazy.. Lol but this does have me more interested in it now. :)

Messremb

Grandmaster
If you are running solo and learning, make a heal mage. Hardest build to kill so its great for learning. I have escaped ganks of 4+ on my heal mage. not the most offensive build, but great first mage build.

If you are running in a group inscribe is the way to go.

If you want the highest damage output go alchemy.

Those are the most used builds for pvp. Can't really go wrong with one of those.

Keltonator

Grandmaster
(95/30/100)
1. Magery
2. Meditation
3. Resist Spells
4. Evaluating Intelligence
5. Wrestling
6. Anatomy
7. Healing
It this what you mean by heal Mage?

DarkThoughts

Neophyte
I did consider alcy, but I have like zero experience with throwing explo pots, and from what I gather it's a fine art that takes time to perfect, and I'm lazy.. Lol but this does have me more interested in it now. :)

I agree, learning the timing for throwing exp. pots definatly takes practice. Also learning to run and throw pots... but when it works it's a joy to behold.. "Unless you're on the receiving end."
Whether you go this rout or lean more toward the healmage build depends i guess on if you're planning on being the aggressor or the one on the defensive... Between pots, bandages and magic heals the healmage build has some great built in surviveability.

I believe it all depends on your play style and what your comfortable with. Solo vs. group play, offence vs. defense, "simple" dexxer hotkeys vs. "OMG There's how many spells I need a hotkey for?" mage builds. lol

Don't get me wrong.. I have both pure dexxers and pure mage chars, and like them both... But.. Your mage hotkeys and playstyle are going to experience continuous "tweaking" while you get used to the spell patterns and "just hitting the right friggen key!!!!"

Anyhow... good luck with your mage and may you have many sitting targets.

Keltonator

Grandmaster
I'll probably just play around with a few template ideas in ctfs and at the docks and see what tickles my fancy. Thanks for all the advice though! This is why I love this community. :)