News and recommendations for militia system

Saturn

Grandmaster
Rumors are about again that UOF is ditching factions for a miltia system, here are my thoughts.
So since i have been back i heard they have stopped focusing on factions to bring back a system they were working on called Town Militia.

I was against this idea in the begining but after seeing so much issues with factions that dont seem fixable

(people staying even if in-active, faction traps being very worthless, lack of need for war mounts, sigils even with bonuses are still somewhat broken and cleary incentives were set to low)

#1 My first recommendation would be to make crafting a SERIOUS part of guarding towns. And a type of experience system for these crafters to gain rewards (PLEASE NOT FUCKING POWER SCROLLS)

Donating materials to increase the defense of a tower would be pretty awesome as well.

#2 i know this will make some people unhappy but their needs to be a limit on how many people can join said town.
If 50 actives join the cove militia and other towns are sitting around 10-15 militia members there is going to be a problem lol.

#3 I think there should be a "spy" program that you can access through having certain thief skills. Like stealth+stealing+snooping+hiding maybe would allow you to disguise yourself as a opposing militia member for so many hours out of the week.

#4 remove trap needs to become a thing. We should be able to booby (heh booby) trap our town without someone coming through with a 10charge item that took almost no resource to make and almost 0 skills to use and remove tons of traps.

#5 Miltia Golems- I think its time for tinkers to get some love, people have been asking for awesome tinker golems since i made the thread about them over a year ago and i think town guards crafted by militia tinkers would be pretty fucking sick, also donating high level ingots would improve armor and any non blank scroll could increase resist while some other material could increase magery.
There would be a treasury where you donate these materials for militia experience

#6 Donating Power Scrolls for some type of town bonus (like reach this many PS and your own town gets like a super RDA that stays spawned for a few days and will take a few days to clear and will have incredible rewards)
kill 2 birds with one stone, make use of useless power scrolls and give new content+new reasons to participate in militias

#7 the towns should be paying for their own guards, meaning the players. So there would be a store house for food and armor for guards, every time a guard dies value is taken from the treasury. Guards should also be like pets, once they die they become ghosts and get skill loss upon return to life, there should also be a guard training program with incentives for newbs to train guards like increase in skill gain.

These were just a few idieas i had and i think we as the pvp community really need to get together and discuss this if its going to be implemented because there is no point in @Adam coding something that will just have to be changed if we could of spotted the problem here first.

MegaHz

Apprentice
I had an idea for a system a few weeks ago to replace factions, but instead of making it town vs town, it brings the focus back to the guild. It is a super rough idea, but here it is.

Guild vs Guild (Working title, please change the name) is a Guild warfare system that utilizes little used structures in towns to create guild presence, stimulate the resource economy and create a currency dump.

Structures (counselor's guild halls?) can initially be claimed by a guild for a fee. (gold/donation coins by a guild, expensive, but not too expensive, maybe in the 5000 coins / 1mil gold area?)

There are many advantages to owning a structure, including bank box access, unlimited weight guild accessible resource storage containers, a safe logout location, and the ability to place a limited number (2, maybe 4) player vendors at the front door of the structure.

GvG Structures have hit points and can be attacked directly by other GvG guilds. The default hitpoint pool is rather large and has a regen rate that makes it so you will need 5-10 people attacking it at the same time to bring it down (2 guys coming in at night aren't going to destroy it).

When the structure has been damaged to a ruined state, the guild that currently controls it has 48 hours to repair it or it will revert back to its original unclaimed state.

A structure will naturally decay (hitpoint pool decreases) over a set period of X days unless repaired.

Repairs are completed with boards/ingots

The less common the material used to repair the structure, the larger the hitpoint pool it has. (Valorite is stronger than Iron)

Challenges for control of the structures.

Control of the structure can be transferred to another guild through a challenge system. Points against a guild who are in control of a structure are accrued when they are killed. Once these points hit a certain threshold (100, 250?) three challenge slots open up against them. First come, first serve, the slots will fill up with challenges from other guilds.The challenged matches have to be carried out within 72 hours or face default of your structure to the guild who’s member killed you to trigger the challenge.

Challenge Arena

The challenge arena would be similar to a MOBA in that it is a 5v5 team arena with an objective. First team to complete the objective wins the match.

Jay187

Neophyte
I actually like both of these ideas. For the former, instead of there being a hard limit to the amount of people that could join a specific militia, implement a formula that would require all militias to be within 5-10 members. And if you attempted to join a militia that was too high it could let you know this, and which militias are needing more members.