New woods

yourdaddy

Grandmaster
Hey

I ran some tests and apparently new woods have a chance to imbue special properties to a bow.

I had an exceptionnal bow of might when using heartwood, and an accurate bow when using ash. Seems to work like slayers, you have a message saying the bow is special, and you can have a slayer on top of that.

If you find out what kind of bows you make with other types of wood, shaaaaaare!

EvilBob

Expert
From a thread I posted on in selling:
I managed to do some LJ last night (120 skill). With about an hour chopping I got roughly 80 frostwood, 100 bloodwood, 60 heartwood 300ish yew and 500-800 of the ash and oak. I crafted some bows on my fletcher and found some interesting bonuses on bows. They all have the hue of the wood, EXCEPT slayer procs that did not have magical wood bonuses. About one in 5 crafts granted these special magical bonuses. All magic bonuses are possible, durability, extra damage, and accuracy. It seems the higher level woods have a higher chance at granting these bonuses and a higher chance to give better bonuses, accurate vs supremely accurate. Cant say anything definitive but i have crafted durable might exceptional accurate bows with yew wood and a supremely accurate exceptional bow with frostwood. Will continue my work this evening.

EvilBob

Expert
Oak and ash woods usually yield accurate, ruin, or durable modifers (one or infrequently more than one) and higher quality woods seem to be quite variable in their bonuses. Even bloodwood and other harder to find woods granted minor to large bonuses like ruin or plain accurate on the low end to supremely accurate on the high end. I was able to craft some plain force exceptional bows with yew wood (I think). It seems the larger modifiers are infrequent with better woods, but still possible. I think there might be a cap on which modifiers each wood yields. Oak seems to cap at the lowest (durable, ruin, accurate) and the others may indeed have higher caps. Also, I think the chance to grant ANY modifer on the bow may increase with wood quality. I crafted about 10 frostwood bows and about 6 of them had modifiers, whereas success chance was marginally less with lower quality woods. Slayers are possible, (and possibly have a higher success chance?) with these woods and can have additional modifiers. Interestingly enough, slayer weapons crafted with these magical bonuses are automatically identified. Lastly, I dont recall any modifiers being granted (except slayer procs) to non exceptional weapons.

Sorry for the wall of text. Its all I can recall from work away from UO.

Last edited by a moderator:

EvilBob

Expert
This evening I managed to gather some more of the higher quality woods and crafted some bows. I was lucky enough to craft one exceptional vanquishing frostwood bow, 2 exceptional power heartwood bows, 1 exceptional power frostwood bow, 4 exceptional force yew wood bows, and a few might exceptional frost, blood, and yew wood bows. Many other ruin bows were crafted, some with accuracy modifiers up to surpassingly accurate. I'm not entirely certain of any caps on particular woods at the moment. What I can say is that Yew does not seem to yield bonuses above Force, Oak still has not yielded anything above level 1 modifiers (durable, ruin, accurate), and Vanquishing modifiers are possible! Yay frostwood! I imagine that it's only possible with frostwood, but I could definitely be wrong. Being as bloodwood is as rare or more rare than heartwood, I imagine at least power is possible with bloodwood, but I cannot as of yet verify.
Ultimately I could be wrong in my assumption that a cap exists. If so, it would be likely that higher quality woods are just scaled to yield better modifiers more frequently than lower quality woods.

Fattson

Grandmaster
I'm 115 lj and frostwood is the only wood that I've yet to receive. As far as I can tell, the "tiers" of wood are going something like this:

Reg
oak
ash
yes
heartwood and bloodwood
frostwood

After chopping about 15k boards and gettin no frostwood, I'm fairly certain you have to be 120 lj to pull it.

Well, I'm stuck at 110 LJ (haha I'm broke) but I thought I could not pull up anything past Yew. Lo and behold I got 40 heartwood from somewhere. (missed the message). So 110 is probably the cutoff for Heartwood. I was at 105 for about 3k boards and never pulled up anything but Normal/Oak/Ash boards, but I wasn't very persistent in that, anyone able to get some yew at 105?

Just curious, for the wiki's sake.

Anyone have any info on what Fletching has to be to use the different woods yet?

Toots

Novice
Still trying to figure this out like everyone else....at 110 I was pulling up heartwood, but not bloodwood or frostwood.

Now at 115 I'm pulling up bloodwood and can turn the logs into boards, but I can't turn the heartwood into boards.....still no frostwood.

hahah that's funny, still no baords. I smell a little fix coming on.

Still trying to figure this out like everyone else....at 110 I was pulling up heartwood, but not bloodwood or frostwood.

Now at 115 I'm pulling up bloodwood and can turn the logs into boards, but I can't turn the heartwood into boards.....still no frostwood.

Oh well, new content always = a little fixing to get it just right.

EvilBob

Expert
Have a 120 carp, will try tonight. Only new thing I saw was the new large containers that require 120 skill (still only 50% success rate) and 1000 logs. Haven't checked staves or instruments. Maybe shields might get bonuses too?

I was not able to make a bow out of Oak at:

Name | Value | Base | Cap | +/-
---------------------------------------------------------
Bowcraft | 83.3 | 80.2 | 100 | 2.6

Will update as I find the cutoffs for Fletching the new woods.

Last edited by a moderator: