New Scam Trick (or probably old, but I fell for it lol)

ct85

Novice
Hey guys,

I just fell for a trick at brit bank.

I won't post the names of the scammers' characters.
Personally I thought they did a great job setting up the whole thing so no complaints from me.
But I thought I'd share so fewer players will fall for the same thing.

The scamming team (at least 2-3 characters) will create a scene where one player (the seller) contemplates on selling a rare item at a value much lower than the actual market value. (Could be rare statute or a rare item) There will be another player (the buyer) low-balling and rushing the seller to sell at the low-balled value. This team will be publicly haggling and negotiating the price.

At this time the seller will be asking around other players on whether the low-balled offer is a fair offer for the rare item. He'll be saying something like "my friend gave it (the item) to me a long time ago and I need cash for reg now". The buyer will be rushing the seller to complete the deal at the low-balled value. This is where I fell for the trick because I didn't want the seller to sell the rare at a low-balled value just because the guy needed cash for reg.

I offered to buy the item at what the seller wanted.

I started to trade window, placed the check on him, and as soon as the trade was completed, it was stolen from me by the seller right away.

It happened really fast before I could realize that the seller had the rare item on last target. And as soon as the trade completed he was able to steal it back right away.

Of course he disappeared before I was able to digest what happened.

Anyway, I thought it was a great trick.
Touche to the scamming team. (If you happened to be the scammer, I tip my hat to you haha. You guys were good!)
I really think that they did a great job haha !

But I hope others won't fall for the same trick like I did. :)

Happy holidays everyone!

lollo

Grandmaster
I bought 100 dono coins For 159k last week so i guess i win lol.

It was in a vendor with like 8 stacks of 1k dono coins all priced at 159.999gp. Among them there was a single 100 dono stack and i was unlucky enough to buy it. Stupid me, was a good idea from the scammer

Bilb Ono

Expert

It was in a vendor with like 8 stacks of 1k dono coins all priced at 159.999gp. Among them there was a single 100 dono stack and i was unlucky enough to buy it. Stupid me, was a good idea from the scammer
if only there was description of what you were buying before you commit the money...

lollo

Grandmaster
if only there was description of what you were buying before you commit the money...

Yeah yeah i know, i just clicked a few piles and saw they were 1k, changed char (other one didn't have money) and just went back and Bought the first pile, which was 100 dono.

Lesson learned

SidX

Grandmaster
Often times the "team" of hagglers is just one guy running a few clients. He will act like multiple players until you take the bait and trade for the item. Like you said, he stole the item instantly via LastTarget. The benefit to him is that there is really no risk for him, because the worst that could happen to his thief is that he could have been guard whacked for the theft. But by having the other clients logged in, he could have just switched to one of them real quick and looted the criminal corpse instantly to make off with your item.

Sucky clever scam... Dual-client LastTarget post-trade stealing is a *****.

Chesty Puller

Grandmaster

dammmn... that suckkkssss

lollo

Grandmaster
dammmn... that suckkkssss

Well yeah, i had like 6k in Bank after the scam so i panicked and went to shame 5 to farm some money and the first blood elly i killed had a taming SS which i sold for 350.

So i guess i should thank the motherfucker.

Btw char name grampa, forum name lockerpicker.

Nice trick but fuck you anyways