Naval Update Commentary

BeerJedi

Grandmaster
Current Status of the Naval Release:

I wanted to take the time to review the current Naval environment and provide some feedback to the Devs in regards to efforts, time, cost, etc. First and foremost – Wanted to provide my play background in regards to the updates now out for a few months.

1. Been a part of a naval team that for 2 months straight sailed and fished the waters extensively.

2. Been on both sides of naval conflicts – from eating the cannon balls ot sending those swine to the deep.

The point of my post is not a “damn I got sunk – fix it”. To be honest, getting sunk is as entertaining as doing the sinking. So no complaints there. What i do want to do is provide feedback and begin a conversation for the devs to review. I am keeping my good points short - please add to 'em if you think they're not good.

The good:

(1) New Whirlpool System: Requires multiple parties – its intense and one mistake can cost the entire effort. This is a good and bad

(2) Galleon system: I love the new requirements for building galleons - from fishing up recipes and finding rares.

(3) Naval Combat: it is a mixture of luck, timing and equipment – the way it should be.

The Bad:

This is an area that needs tweaking only. In this section – I am going to highlight 2 major areas that are becoming deficiencies to those of us on the seas and needs to be corrected or the water champs will never happen.

(1) Rares for building Galleons – the rate of drops for ingots and anchors needs to be tweaked. Right now, I know of only one galleon having been built. As it stands, my crew is 3 ingots short and we have fished up over a 200+ whirlpools over the last 3 months. In the last 4 weeks, we have nearly stopped cause it has gotten ridiculous to get our first galleon in the water. We have 4 anchors. I understand the focus is to keep these rare so the seas are not filled with 50 galleons, however, when a group is dedicated and still coming up short on finding the needed materials, a tweak should be made.
Note: we use a 115 fisher and fishing trawler, we have wiped legions of deep eles and have found only 6 so far.
Suggestion: provide a recipe for mixing iron ingots, big fish, and another possible rare to have a 25% chance to make the required ingot. Or increase by a fraction to increase drop rate. Catch 22: make it too easy and others lose focus

(2) Repair Kits: Currently it takes a ton of mats to make a repair kit and then requires to carry additional mats on the boat to repair on sea. For a crew/fisher it is difficult to carry 100+ cannon balls, 100+ ingots, 500+ wood, 400+ cloth to simply sail into uncharted waters (after investing ot make the kits). Suggestion – provide a means to create charges to the kit that pre-loads the materials. Use of materials is a good idea.

A few tweaks will be needed to adjusted or interest will continue to wane. Which is not good as I think it is a lot of fun. Even when I’m eating someone elses hurling iron. Lastly - some of the rares from the previous whirlpool system have gone mia, is this on purpose?

Agreed the drop rate on the ingots is horrible we had 5 people working over several weeks throwing nets fishing mins and hitting whirlpools and finally got our 10 but we bought the last one. How much would you sell an anchor for?

+1 on the repair kits...they are pricey to make and they take resources...seems broken to me. You are not going to get people out in boats with a repair system like this.

Tydeus

Master
Ingot drop rates are fine. I haven't played that much in the ocean since the new changes and I have 5 ingots already. Perhaps I am just getting lucky. I may offer to trade ingots for other galleon parts, such as anchors and possibly wood.

One thing that seems a bit OP is that I have noticed, at least on a small boat, that you can pretty much fire the cannons repeatedly with very little cool-down if you keep moving the boat in circles and firing each cannon one after the other. This creates a lot of spell disruptions, and then the boat gets on fire, creating even more disruptions. I'm wondering if using a mage is even effective at all with these new cannons.

oomf

Grandmaster
There has been more than one galleon built as YAR has one and Goon Squad has one, there are probably more I don't know of.

ScooterUo

Grandmaster
dont fix the drop rate of ingots and anchor.. i build two of the boats one for har one for GS.. we worked hard to get it items to us time.. we got sunk we sunk ppl ect.. dont make it eiaser for ppl now keep some rate!! fair for all

Promyvia

Apprentice
Are the recipes actually called deeds by chance? I fished up a gargoyle galleon DEED, but I only see people say they are selling RECIPES. It seems to me the deed would be for the actual completed ship. Or can both be fished up...?

oomf

Grandmaster
Are the recipes actually called deeds by chance? I fished up a gargoyle galleon DEED, but I only see people say they are selling RECIPES. It seems to me the deed would be for the actual completed ship. Or can both be fished up...?

Does it look like a rolled up scroll/mib or does it look like something else?

Infectious

Master
I also think EV's shouldnt be allowed to be casted on boats... considering there really is not a counter to it unless you have peacing which i dont think i should have to raise a skill to counter 1 spell or get lucky enough and get a dispel off....

Tydeus

Master
I also think EV's shouldnt be allowed to be casted on boats... considering there really is not a counter to it unless you have peacing which i dont think i should have to raise a skill to counter 1 spell or get lucky enough and get a dispel off....

I do not have any problem with EV's on boats. There should be and are ways to counter other OP tactics.

Not too long ago I considered the dragons breath to be pretty lame in PvP, and especially PvP on a boat, where they always use their breath weapons that never miss and do a lot of damage. But, it is there, and removing it would make a lot of people unhappy so I have thought of ways you can fight against it without dragons of your own, and using summons is one of the methods.

If you're serious about PvP on a boat, take more than one char with you and have at least 2 that can dispel. Mass dispel could really come in handy as well, especially if you can't target the EV instantly or if you're being disrupted by it. You can cast mass dispel on at least 2 chars and target self, assuming your boat is not on fire and someone isn't constantly spamming you with cannon fire. You can also attempt blocking the summons before they ever happen. Perhaps this is one example as to why the cannon fire is OP due to constant spell disruptions and not being able to dispel.

There is also the issue that comes in non-PvP situations where people use EV's to kill water elemental spawns that come up with SoS chests. I do not want EV's removed from boats for any reason, and I know for sure that there are effective counters to the EV's; you just need to come up with a plan in advance and be prepared. Mass dispel can get rid of several EV's at once if people attempt to swarm you with them.

Infectious

Master
If you cant kill a water elemental without an EV something is wrong or if you need help summon a daemon! How about make it to where you cant cast EV's on OTHER boats......Also multi clienting in boat pvp is a handicap... youll lose 9 times out of ten... I shouldnt have to precast mass dispel everytime i come up to someone which also i cant because im an archer! Oh almost forgot you can also counter pets using a fishing net!

Tydeus

Master
If you cant kill a water elemental without an EV something is wrong or if you need help summon a daemon! How about make it to where you cant cast EV's on OTHER boats......Also multi clienting in boat pvp is a handicap... youll lose 9 times out of ten... I shouldnt have to precast mass dispel everytime i come up to someone which also i cant because im an archer! Oh almost forgot you can also counter pets using a fishing net!

I always used a bard to kill them without EV's, but I think EV's can make it quicker. If you can kill the elementals faster, you will be making gold faster.

Multi-client PvP can be a handicap, but I would rather be able to alt-tab quickly to a different client in order to do something like cast a spell.

You can pre-cast mass dispel and then equip a weapon. You simply have to disarm and target self to launch the spell. Also, if you see someone start to cast EV, start casting mass dispel or dispel. You don't have to wait until the EV is on your boat.

Tydeus

Master
About fishing nets:

I've only used them a few times on sea monsters and the monsters landed directly onto my boat. I do not see how bringing a deadly hostile dragon onto your boat is going to help you win a fight, because can't the dragon still fight back once it is on your boat? I haven't tested that out yet.

i know this is pretty old post but infectious is right. with the way things are using your alts as bots is essential.... and a snoozefest. multiclienting shouldn't be necessary to BvB(boat vs boat) , its just lame. scenario: time to pirate ok, * logs in 3 characters* *starts dispel script* start heal script*Cast Ev* * Win*, wow that was fun.... *scuttles ship*...
glad i harvested all those ingots and got myself an achor... for what?

Tydeus

Master
I was going to be a pirate and wreck people, so I came up with a plan. I then became disinterested and was lacking the motivation and time to do it. Also, "griefing" people constantly may seem enjoyable at first, but it becomes dull after a while, IMO. I'll give what my plan is/was away, along with the char builds:

100 STR / 25 DEX / 100 INT

100 Alchemy
100 Anatomy
100 Evaluating Intelligence
100 Healing
100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Resisting Spells

90 STR / 75 DEX / 60 INT

100 Anatomy
100 Archery
100 Healing
100 Magery
100 Meditation (Wear studded or leather)
100 Resisting Spells
100 Tactics

90 STR / 75 DEX / 60 INT

100 Anatomy
100 Archery
100 Healing
100 Magery
100 Resisting Spells
100 Tactics
100 Tracking

My plan was somewhat like this:

1. Spot a ship on radar.
2. Summon 3x daemons + all guard me.
3. Pre-cast a blade spirit on each char.
4. Move towards ship while casting the BS.
5. Drink Str + Dex + Refresh potions.
6. Fire pre-casts on ship once located (or delay the casts over a time period of a few seconds apart).
7. Choose a target to fire arrows at with the archers (the blade spirit may count as an auto-target).
8. Select the mage and fire cannons, explosion potions, and spells.

It may seem like overkill, because it is. I think after I made peoples lives hell at sea, that they would complain about me constantly and cry for a "nerf" concerning my tactics. All those chars have the ability to heal one another as well, and you can do it easily enough without macros so long as you have health bars open and are good at alt-tabbing to other clients. You'll have 3 daemons firing spells, 2 archers shooting arrows, and a mage shooting cannons, exp. pots, and spells.

Tydeus

Master
thank you for not ruining boat warfare even more with this horrible display ...

It is "horrible" and "terrible" because it is horribly and terribly deadly. It is OP to the max, and this is what you can do on a ship if you put together a plan. I merely thought it out and did not intend to ruin boat warfare.

Before, without the radar, fishing was unique and something you could do semi-afk. You have to remove the radar once again in order to do away with my OP tactics on how to destroy anyone being a solo player with 3 clients.