More than two Accounts per IP

armorsmith

Neophyte
jd - if you would learn to read, you would discover that my question had nothing to do with Trammel vs Feluca. Again, you show your ignorance.

jdcalve

Master
How about you just follow the rules and there's no issue?

Two accounts per IP.

People have been banned for multiple ip's accessing the same account.

* I want more than 2 accounts too.. I guess my aunt/uncle/grandma/third cousin/nephew/daughter need accounts too.

Metalhead-

Master
I shall as the source. Your answer tells me you don't fully understand the technical nature of the question.
Armor that's not the issue at hand. The problem is that this server has experienced issues with multi client abuse for sometime now. The problem is that it's always the same story. Regardless of innocence or not that's all we hear. Also lose the condescending attitude. This isn't the first time this issue has come up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armorsmith

Neophyte
Metalhead - So let me get this straight in my head. I create my two accounts - by the rules - on my home I/P address, whatever that happens to be today, as that changes if I let the lease on that I/P expire. Considering that, IF I UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY, the account ORIGIN I/P is the governing criteria, I would not be breaking the rules if I were to install UOF on my work computer (large network with many I/Ps) and play there. OR are you saying that regardless of where an account was generated, no more than two accounts can be online at one time on the same I/P? So far, I get the no more than two accounts per I/P, but what are the other criteria that make the whole equation?

As for the 'condescending' attitude, I was polite and spelled out my question clearly. I found no reason whatsoever for the responses I received. Simply stated, you got pissy, I got condescending. Whether the subject has come up a million times before or not, it was still the first time I asked. And if you bothered to read the question, I clearly stated that the information was requested as a clarification so I DID NOT break the rules.

FYI - I am a member of several other hobby forums, have been for MANY years, and NEVER treat a question, regardless of how many times it has come up in the manner you treated me. If I don;t wish to be bothered answering the question for the umteenth time, I just skip over it. You could have done the same.

So let me ask the question differently. Is the rule -

a) No more than two accounts can be generated on a single I/P address, or
b) No more than two accounts can be ACTIVE ONLINE on a single I/P address?

Copied from the T/Cs
"You may only have TWO (2) accounts PER IP/HOUSE HOLD (1) unless otherwise given permission for."

I have passed the question up to the admins, we will see where that goes.

My interpretation of that is A above. That being said, I interpret the rules to allow as many accounts to play on a single I/P as the local network will support, so long as the accounts belong to separate domiciles. Hopefully this thread (referenced in the push up) will generate a clarification in the T/Cs.

Metalhead-

Master
1) This isn't the hobby lobby forum. It's an online gaming forum. Get some thicker skin or you won't survive here.

2) The technicalities don't concern me. Of you're legit in your request for a "pardon" concerning the rules because you legitimately have extra people in your household that play then I'm all for you having said access. My only problem is that the issue of account abuse mostly in terms of young player benefits has been an ongoing issue. And on any forum I've ever been on its on the new guys to search the forums as find the information they are requesting before posting a topic that's been beat to death over and over.

armorsmith

Neophyte
"The technicalities don't concern me."

I am sure they don't. Quoting the Terms and Conditions hasn't seemed to enter into your closed minded opinion. "New player perks" were never mentioned simply because NONE of the accounts or characters on those accounts have new player status. So far you have done nothing to answer the question asked, just try to reinforce your simplified interpretation.

And again you failed to comprehend the question regarding game play. The additional players referenced are only ONCE IN A WHILE GROUPS AT FAMILY GATHERINGS, who have their own domiciles where they reside and play their own accounts for the other 51 weeks of the year. Has this clarified the question sufficiently for you to understand the real question? Not your interpretation of "How can I get around the rules?"

As for a thick skin, I do have one of those and could have and next time will ignore an Asshole's comments. I should have expected that type of response from a player with all PK characters. A bully at best.

Mokey

Novice
Wow to the guys who are raging about his question, chill out, this is a fucking game. Your attitudes are what drive new players away from servers. Obviously this guy is just trying to get some clarification. Your lives must be extremely sorry that you feel the need to flame a dude on a fucking UO forum. I really hope shane or some MOD sees your negativity and deals with it appropriately. You guys come off a pubescent teenagers, if you are, I suggest you find another hobby that brings joy to your life.

I'd also like to add that the question about IP changing is legit. I will be playing from my parents house during the holidays, am I at risk for being banned simply because my IP changes? I believe the two accounts per IP is kind of a stupid rule since you cannot honestly enforce it, although I do believe the intent of the rule has merit behind it (prevent abuse). I honestly believe there needs to be some middle ground though and having a debate about the rule is ok in my mind, simply quoting and posting the TOS without being willing to discuss it or the issues surrounding it shows how simply minded some of you are.

armorsmith

Neophyte
Mokey - That was the point of posting the T/Cs, was to get a discussion going relative to the exact wording of the T/Cs. I pointed out that there are at least to interpretations of the wording as it is in the T/Cs, which you obviously recognized. I tried diligently to keep from going to a flame war.

As for using an I/P address to determine how many accounts are registered to a single domicile, I agree that it will be difficult at best to enforce from a legal stand point. From the 'It's my server and I'll run it my way' point of view Shane can do whatever he wishes. As far as I/P addresses are concerned, although I do not have the skill set to do it, I know that I/P address, MAC addresses, email addresses all can be spoofed. And listening to some of the rhetoric I here on this forum, I have no doubt there are those here who could. I would more like to see some form of 'key' which is tied to the two accounts, issued by Shane and company. More work for Shane, but would far better control the multiple account abuse being referenced above. There are other methods as well, using C/C or D/L numbers, physical addresses (can be verified on USPS.com) behind the scene. Ideas I can see, I am sure the educated programmers can do better than that.

It would be my guess the ones making the most noise about this question are the ones with the most to loose if it is clarified. BTW those two are the same ones that raise mortal hell if someone mentions permanent stat loss for PKs. HHHMMMMMMMM.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

jdcalve - If you think this thread is a "fucking joke", then don't bother to insult those with honest questions with your ignorant remarks. As for the language, that shows me your intelligence level in the first place.

I don't appreciate that kind of abuse by either of you for a simple question. If you don't have the answer, or don't wish share your knowledge, please refrain for responding to my posts. Another abusive post like this one and I will request action by Shane.
LOL, GTFO

Metalhead-

Master
we-get-it-youre-butt-hurt.jpg

Vi the Pirate

I'm interested on the rules with this as well my family has 4 players, all brothers.
We live pretty far apart at the moment but I'd like to know if we have the option of playing uo together when we're in the same space.

thechemicals

Apprentice
A lot of fear and paranoia spewed here about getting banned. I suppose i have to unwillingly challenge all of you claiming to be network and internet technologists. First off, you are wrong about Ips in a household. Second, always file for a 3rd account petition if you are going to attempt to do so. Even if you dont get an answer from Shane, it helps show that you attempted to contact him and have nothing to hide.

Every computer must have a separate IP address. However, a computer at location A can have the same IP address as computer at location B as long as the following exists:

1. Location A is not connected to Location B by any type of external network

2. If location A is connected to Location B by an external network, than each location must use a hardware device. The hardware devices must have a separate IP Address and must isolate an internal network from the external network.

Item 2 is common for the Internet.

Location A has a firewall which has been assigned the IP Address of 69.100.100.100 to a hardware device. The hardware device also acts as a DHCP Server and uses the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255.

Location B has a firewall which has been assigned the IP Address of 27.89.100.23 to a hardware device. The hardware device also acts as a DHCP Server and uses the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255.

Because the hardware devices isolate the networks at Locations A and B, the same IP address is possible, just at different locations.

In other words, every machine (computer) can have its own ip address and even if its the same ip (which it isnt really), *because its in a different location (another comp in the bedroom) its identified in the ip connection id as a different location. If you want to find out what your ip is for your computer to prove that- go to start tab at the bottom left of your computer then get to the command prompt in search bar. Once there type ipconfig. Youll be given the ip for your computer. Now do the same for every machine that is on that network and compare those ips. If they are different, every machine with its own ip can have 2 accounts.

Here is a link to more info
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/question549.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

jdcalve

Master
Wrong.

A lot of fear and paranoia spewed here about getting banned. I suppose i have to unwillingly challenge all of you claiming to be network and internet technologists. First off, you are wrong about Ips in a household. Second, always file for a 3rd account petition if you are going to attempt to do so. Even if you dont get an answer from Shane, it helps show that you attempted to contact him and have nothing to hide.

Every computer must have a separate IP address. However, a computer at location A can have the same IP address as computer at location B as long as the following exists:

1. Location A is not connected to Location B by any type of external network

2. If location A is connected to Location B by an external network, than each location must use a hardware device. The hardware devices must have a separate IP Address and must isolate an internal network from the external network.

Item 2 is common for the Internet.

Location A has a firewall which has been assigned the IP Address of 69.100.100.100 to a hardware device. The hardware device also acts as a DHCP Server and uses the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255.

Location B has a firewall which has been assigned the IP Address of 27.89.100.23 to a hardware device. The hardware device also acts as a DHCP Server and uses the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255.

Because the hardware devices isolate the networks at Locations A and B, the same IP address is possible, just at different locations.

In other words, every machine (computer) can have its own ip address and even if its the same ip (which it isnt really), *because its in a different location (another comp in the bedroom) its identified in the ip connection id as a different location. If you want to find out what your ip is for your computer to prove that- go to start tab at the bottom left of your computer then get to the command prompt in search bar. Once there type ipconfig. Youll be given the ip for your computer. Now do the same for every machine that is on that network and compare those ips. If they are different, every machine with its own ip can have 2 accounts.

Here is a link to more info
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/question549.htm