More Random Newb Questions...

SteelSexi

Master
Okay, Been playing for a about a month now.. and I got a few questions I still wonder about...

1) Concerning your home, if the front door is open, is it possible for a thief to go inside and remain hidden right behind you perhaps stealing from you in your home? If so, I remember there used to be an old command to 'reveal hidden in home', but for the life of me, I cannot remember that command.

2) Gating NPCs to cities and dungeons.. Anyone have any clue as to why gating an npc adventurer to a city nets you in the 800-1000 gold range, while gating them to a much riskier dungeon entrance only nets 550-650 or so? Seems to me these rewards should be flip-flopped.

3) Feeding Pets: I've read and heard a few times that feeding your pet only 1 food item is sufficient and recommended every hour or so that they are online with you. However, it seems from my tamers lore skill that feeding a pet multiple items at once sometimes seems to raise its happiness level. Also, sometimes when you drag a food item to your pet, it gives you no acknowledgement that the pet is happier the first time. Should you actually keep feeding it until you get the message saying that "You pet seems happier"? I mean this might sound like a lame question, but the last thing people might wanna do is lose a bonded valorite wolf or fire beetle because they simply don't feed it proper food that only cost a few gold pieces.

4) Thieves have the ability I read with GM wrestling to constantly disarm a weapon, and perhaps then steal it if it is under 10 stones in weight. What is the best way to combat this? Is it to GM wrestling yourself? Would that prevent getting dis-armed all the time by a disarm thief? Obviously make a macro key to arm/disarm, I understand that.. but what can be done to best prevent getting disarmed every 5 seconds when dealing with one of these guys?

5) I read in another thread the the ankh by the Britain craft area was placed there only for staff created monster events. So why does it continually work to resurrect pain-in-the-arse thieves while no event is happening? I understand that the craft area of Britain should have a risk for those working there, but to have such an ankh right there to resurrect greys constantly seems to turn the Brit craft area into more of a nuisance area then a crafting area. Anyone agree or know why the ankh works even when events are not happening?

6) Is there any npc guilds that can you can join to lower the price on npc items ike regs and provisioner goods even cheaper then the current moonglow/vesper/trinsic lower prices? if so, where and how does one join these?

7) GM Tinker boxes: I remember that there used to be a HUGE risk in gm tinkers trapping boxes as they would be the target of a murder count if/when someone opened their trapped box. This doesn't seem to apply on this server, and i am surprised I don't see even more trapped boxes then I do. Is there a good way to use such a trapped box placed in your inventory to deter thieves from opening/snooping all your bags. I am assuming if I carry a gm tink trapped box on me.. and a thief snoops it, HE dies? - Or would the holder of the box when opened be the dead varmit? Sure I can test this myself, but I'm curious if anyone knows this.. or has specific hints as how to best use this aspect of being a gm tinker.

I think that's enough questions for now. Thanks in advance. :)

halygon

Grandmaster
1) Concerning your home, if the front door is open, is it possible for a thief to go inside and remain hidden right behind you perhaps stealing from you in your home? If so, I remember there used to be an old command to 'reveal hidden in home', but for the life of me, I cannot remember that command.
If you have a door on your house and while it is open, yes, a thief can stealth through. They cannot open the door if the security set to it is not "anyone". There is not a command to reveal people in your house, however the Detect hidden skill works 100% of the time for house owners in their own house (no skill required).

2) Gating NPCs to cities and dungeons.. Anyone have any clue as to why gating an npc adventurer to a city nets you in the 800-1000 gold range, while gating them to a much riskier dungeon entrance only nets 550-650 or so? Seems to me these rewards should be flip-flopped.
I don't think there is a good answer here, however I would suspect the Devs wanted to go easier on new players (which is their MO).

3) Feeding Pets: I've read and heard a few times that feeding your pet only 1 food item is sufficient and recommended every hour or so that they are online with you. However, it seems from my tamers lore skill that feeding a pet multiple items at once sometimes seems to raise its happiness level. Also, sometimes when you drag a food item to your pet, it gives you no acknowledgement that the pet is happier the first time. Should you actually keep feeding it until you get the message saying that "You pet seems happier"? I mean this might sound like a lame question, but the last thing people might wanna do is lose a bonded valorite wolf or fire beetle because they simply don't feed it proper food that only cost a few gold pieces.
The only time you should need to feed your pet (or see the "Happier" message) is when they are not at their happiest status. Only a player with Animal lore will be able to tell what the status of their pet is. For mounts, you rarely need to feed them, although doing so maybe once a day is not a bad idea as they do become unhappy after a while of using them. Pets that fight for you (aka tamer pets like drags/mares/etc) require more feedings to keep them happy as they perform more tasks than merely being ridden (and receive more commands). I usually drop like 5 of whatever the pet eats on them at a time to be sure they are good to go.

4) Thieves have the ability I read with GM wrestling to constantly disarm a weapon, and perhaps then steal it if it is under 10 stones in weight. What is the best way to combat this? Is it to GM wrestling yourself? Would that prevent getting dis-armed all the time by a disarm thief? Obviously make a macro key to arm/disarm, I understand that.. but what can be done to best prevent getting disarmed every 5 seconds when dealing with one of these guys?
Any player can disarm another if they have wrestling and arms lore. Thieves utilize this as they are able to target the object in your hands -- disarm you -- then steal said object. To perform a disarm, they must first hit you with their wrestle, so any skills or armor that prevent this will assist --- that said, in reality you cannot stop a disarm for the most part -- it is just part of the game. If someone is disarming you, the best thing to do is move away from them and re-arm as quickly as possible.

5) I read in another thread the the ankh by the Britain craft area was placed there only for staff created monster events. So why does it continually work to resurrect pain-in-the-arse thieves while no event is happening? I understand that the craft area of Britain should have a risk for those working there, but to have such an ankh right there to resurrect greys constantly seems to turn the Brit craft area into more of a nuisance area then a crafting area. Anyone agree or know why the ankh works even when events are not happening?
I fully agree with you, but what you are describing is just a side effect of it. It is also used by many a new player who dies in Brit GY or PK'd there. I would prefer that it be removed and players forced to go to the healer like in every other town.

6) Is there any npc guilds that can you can join to lower the price on npc items ike regs and provisioner goods even cheaper then the current moonglow/vesper/trinsic lower prices? if so, where and how does one join these?
There are guilds for each profession -- that said, they are completely worthless and do not provide any benefits on UOF. The only exception is the Thieves Guild, which allows thieves to steal from other players and use disguise kits.

7) GM Tinker boxes: I remember that there used to be a HUGE risk in gm tinkers trapping boxes as they would be the target of a murder count if/when someone opened their trapped box. This doesn't seem to apply on this server, and i am surprised I don't see even more trapped boxes then I do. Is there a good way to use such a trapped box placed in your inventory to deter thieves from opening/snooping all your bags. I am assuming if I carry a gm tink trapped box on me.. and a thief snoops it, HE dies? - Or would the holder of the box when opened be the dead varmit? Sure I can test this myself, but I'm curious if anyone knows this.. or has specific hints as how to best use this aspect of being a gm tinker.
No murder count here.

This is actually one of my pet peeves here, but no one seems to care as UOF caters towards thieves. The trapped boxes are broke here. Let me rephrase that for anyone else reading -- TRAPPED BOXES ARE BROKEN. Ok, that said -- they are supposed to be created by a GM Carpenter, then trapped by a GM tinker. Then you lock and unlock the box, which arms the trap but leaves the box open.

So at this point, what is supposed to happen is:
  • Box is available to be opened by the player who has it in his/her backpack WITHOUT exploding
  • If said box is SNOOPED by another player, the trap explodes on ONLY the SNOOPER
What happens on UOF is:
  • Box, when armed, but unlocked, will blow up on ANYONE who opens the box, regardless if this is in a players backpack or on the ground. It blows up when snooped, but it also blows up when you open it to put more items in or take any out of it.