More '24 hour events' like the easter event

Sobz

Master
I'm thinking something along the lines of kill certain mobs and have the chance to receive somewhat of a scroll or book that gives you a piece of riddle? Or even just random letters that eventually add up to a saying and to find a 'clue' as to where a powerful monster is. And with this monster make it so it has a chance to drop something uniquely rare. Maybe 1 out of 20 drops or so? It would be fun and challenging. It'll get people to come whether a pvm or pvp character.

Or even so let the monster drop a type of scroll we can transfer into points and make a new vendor with unique items. Such as to have 10 points receive ______ etc. Don't make it easy either so it's worth while :)

Bryce

Adept
Thanks.
Hope you guys all liked it.
When Steve and I sat down and designed the event, we had core fundamentals in mind, and worked from there.
1. Time-zone liberal. We pay attention to the playerbase. It's very difficult to create events with so many different timezones, so this is the very first thing we wanted to address and work with. Give everyone an opportunity to participate. Which leads to number 2.
2. Fun for all. There's often tamer-hate (most of which stems from one guy saying it, and drones following suit). But we wanted to elaborate. We wanted to appeal to all. From the everyday farmers, to the casuals, to the new players. This is why we designed the droprates of varying mobs. Even the little guy could participate in the first lvl of covetous. Which leads to #3.
3. Player interaction/commerce. This event had dungeons booming. Pk's, and people fending them off. But more than that. It took some gold out of the hands of the super rich, and filtered it into the new players' pockets. We love that people want to donate. And definately use a lot of it to fund marketing. But it's often rough when a new player decides they feel the NEED to donate, just to get a foothold, without learning the game and its mechanics, and thus gets frustrated from lost/stolen items. This helps them a little bit.

We more than appreciate any feedback regarding events. And trust me, we read them.

By all means, voice your praise, or concerns in a constructive way in the Easter event thread. It's based off those that we can best serve the playerbase!

N49ATV

Adept
I hated the event. Mostly because I couldn't finish lock picking with the reveals from the event mob lol.

But still had fun trying to sneak around the long way etc. but I had a dragon keep teleporting back to block my path, when I lured him away (didn't just speed walk back to his tether spot)

I like the idea, to help out casual and distant members of the community. I work weekends a lot, so this would help everyone participate.

I do like the letter idea, or clue ideas. But make it so the clues are required to get to boss/high end mob. This will encode teamwork to help others get all the "pieces to the puzzle" to go in as a group.

Also make the entrance non static, to prevent camping of entrance and slaughter of PvMers.

Yeah the reveals made me shelve my stealth archer for the weekend. Not cool. I'm trying to keep the tamer population down in Destard.

Lavos

Master
We more than appreciate any feedback regarding events. And trust me, we read them.

By all means, voice your praise, or concerns in a constructive way in the Easter event thread. It's based off those that we can best serve the playerbase!

This event was truly awesome and it shows that it was well planned and implemented. Small monster bash events are fun, but 100-200 people trying to crowd around and loot one corpse doesn't make much sense and a lot of people leave feeling like they wasted their time. The way that this event was implemented was fair to all players, regardless of timezone or experience, and really felt rewarding throughout the whole thing.

The easter egg hunt was a great idea, this kind of thing is really awesome for the rare hunters/collectors on the server and it favors all regardless of class, status, experience. I feel like this has a lot of potential to be expanded upon in future events. A living world with items you can take/display/sell is one major aspect that sets UO apart from most modern MMOs. It's easy to forget a lot of people play UO not only for the PVE and PVM, but for item collecting and things like exploring around looking for stealable rares/new areas/undiscovered things.

Nothing can match that excitement of discovery - putting the time in and eventually finding something rare/new in the open world. It makes the world feel alive and a lot of underappreciated areas get utilized. Adding new items/spawns/events/tamables into places around the world keeps players actively playing, exploring, and most importantly hits on that sense of discovery a lot of UO players are drawn to.

For example - When Grotto and the new Ice/Covetous levels were released, I saw dozens of players stealthing/running around trying to be the first to discover something - an item to steal/take, a locked chest with something, a hidden room, switches, new monster to tame, unique fishing spot, etc. There will always be players like this, it is and has always been a fundamental playstyle of UO. These dungeon levels looked cool and had an OK balance of monsters, but there were no stealable/takable rares, no rare mobs drops, no puzzles, no hidden rooms.

The new Stone monster dungeon that was added for a short time is a great example of how to do it right - there were not one but FOUR hidden switches, which led to a huge secret dungeon level. There was a bridge which would raise when a secret combination of words were said out loud. How fucking cool is that? It would be amazing to see more of this kind of thing, even if it's a small hidden room or teleporter inserted into a dungeon level or the open world, unannounced and left for players to uncover.

Thank you guys for putting the time and thought into making this a great event. This is exactly the kind of thing that keeps UOF on top :)

Bryce

Adept
This event was truly awesome and it shows that it was well planned and implemented. Small monster bash events are fun, but 100-200 people trying to crowd around and loot one corpse doesn't make much sense and a lot of people leave feeling like they wasted their time. The way that this event was implemented was fair to all players, regardless of timezone or experience, and really felt rewarding throughout the whole thing.

The easter egg hunt was a great idea, this kind of thing is really awesome for the rare hunters/collectors on the server and it favors all regardless of class, status, experience. I feel like this has a lot of potential to be expanded upon in future events. A living world with items you can take/display/sell is one major aspect that sets UO apart from most modern MMOs. It's easy to forget a lot of people play UO not only for the PVE and PVM, but for item collecting and things like exploring around looking for stealable rares/new areas/undiscovered things.

Nothing can match that excitement of discovery - putting the time in and eventually finding something rare/new in the open world. It makes the world feel alive and a lot of underappreciated areas get utilized. Adding new items/spawns/events/tamables into places around the world keeps players actively playing, exploring, and most importantly hits on that sense of discovery a lot of UO players are drawn to.

For example - When Grotto and the new Ice/Covetous levels were released, I saw dozens of players stealthing/running around trying to be the first to discover something - an item to steal/take, a locked chest with something, a hidden room, switches, new monster to tame, unique fishing spot, etc. There will always be players like this, it is and has always been a fundamental playstyle of UO. These dungeon levels looked cool and had an OK balance of monsters, but there were no stealable/takable rares, no rare mobs drops, no puzzles, no hidden rooms.

The new Stone monster dungeon that was added for a short time is a great example of how to do it right - there were not one but FOUR hidden switches, which led to a huge secret dungeon level. There was a bridge which would raise when a secret combination of words were said out loud. How fucking cool is that? It would be amazing to see more of this kind of thing, even if it's a small hidden room or teleporter inserted into a dungeon level or the open world, unannounced and left for players to uncover.

Thank you guys for putting the time and thought into making this a great event. This is exactly the kind of thing that keeps UOF on top :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Moreso, glad you decided to take the time to respond to it!

For 'holiday' events, I'll agree with you there. Perhaps running them a week previous is the best way to go about it. We do try to give everyone an equal opportunity. And taking family/work/sleep obligations into account is a big part of that.

We're always looking for ways to expand on content, provide refreshing opportunities of gameplay all the while keeping the era/nostalgia at heart.

So thank you again for your input. I assure you, we note everything.

Last edited by a moderator: