Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Blaine stfu and quit already

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
Minoc Rock Quarry / Deep Minoc Mining Caves -
Melee Miner Dungeon (yes and magic too)

This place is no Trammel and this is the rough cut of the whole idea. Would create a chaotic pvp scene.
Bare with me... my mind works in strange ways
This dungeon would make a use of melee skills and mining skills of a character.
Different Elementals and/or Golems can only be fought by certain melee weapons. Making magical pickaxes useful besides décor. Making PvM into a reasonable source of gathering resources and present danger/reward. (In the process of creating the creatures)

The more Mining and Blacksmithing skills you have, the less attracted the Elementals and/or Golems are to fight you (but still will attack/fight you). Old elemental creature types with new powers. New Elementals with newer powers. The more magical you are the more the Elementals will be lured/distracted/attacking you.

Chaotic Magic - Ethereal Waves disturbed due to the random amounts of Blackrock within this dungeon makes magic unreliable.

Magic would be on a scale from -10 to +10 and +10 being the normal effectiveness of the spell.

Each point is worth down is 10% (so +9 would be 90% of normal effectiveness)

0 would nullify the spell completely (Does nothing wastes regs fizzle)

For ever point under is the reverse effectiveness of what the spell would do.
Beware of Casting - Harmful spells may reverse to helpful spells and helpful spells may reverse to harmful spells (Bless into Curse, Earthquake Damage turns into an area heal instead, other random modifiers per spell). The only thing reliable (or as best as it can be) are melee skills. This area is no Trammel.

Summoning Creatures
- Ethereal Waves vs. Blackrock Influence
For summoned creatures anything less than 100% (+10 points) will be a fizzle.

For summoned creatures +10 would successfully cast, for every point less it would fizzle and take mana.

Meta Mage Talismans can help your magic stability (but never 100% stability) based on it's level. The only effect in PVP the talisman has is to either help your already hindered power. You may say this favors Melee PVP and it doesn't. Melee will also have stability issues with what types of metal and/or wood they are created from. Magical or non-magical. Iron to Valorite will have different ethereal magnetic properties that will influence the users skills as well.

In this area certain formulas are calculated while you are fighting the specific creatures that could possibly supply a resource (Ore or Ingots). The damage you do in one hit (Also depending on the weapon/type), how fast the hit is, and the knowledge of your skills will determine how much of a resource will drop on the creatures corpse. Magic is basically useless in most cases against these creatures. If you manage to defeat the creature in one hit you still have the possibility of not having anything salvageable.

Magic used on the creatures successfully supplies no resources and/or destroys all salvageable resources.

Magic used by the creatures in this area are subjected to the same rules as Players.

Combat with the Creatures, Elementals, and/or Golems

The Stats (Parts taken from UOF wiki and added stuff)

Strength - The amount of Strength a character has determines their total Hit Points, Melee Damage and Carrying Capacity. So the stronger the hit the more damage to the potential resource.

Dexterity - The amount of Dexterity a character has determines their total stamina which determines the rate of swing speed, ability to parrying, and how long it takes to apply bandages. However the slower you are the more precise you can be.

Intelligence - The amount of Intelligence a character has determines their total Mana, Some spell damage and the use of Meditation. Intelligence, however, provides precision and use of the knowledge.

The Melee Skills (Example)

All damage to the Elementals effects how much salvageable ore/ingots will be on the corpse. Different weapons will do different damage.

Bashing weapons of course would destroy resources more easily, but if able to “kill” it quickly would of course to least amount of damage to the resources.

Slashing weapons would be best however less reliable in knowing the damage to the resources. Pickaxes are listed under Swordsmanship so it would be the best sword weapon to accurately get more resources.

Piercing (Fencing) and Archery weapons will not do much damage however would stun the creature for a moment from physical activity (not magical).

The combat formula for getting anything salvageable would be Mining + Weapon + Tactics + Stats

Hopefully this gives the basic foothold of what I'm trying to get to...

Also working on the champion for the area.

Champion: King Zhelkas the Paranoid & Gregor the Enslaved

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the round about idea of this because

1. Increased traffic in Minoc. There are not enough miners here...
2. It would make resource gathering less grindy, which its supposed to be and still will be, but add more risk to gathering them as well. Effectively making a resource gathering/craftsman character feel like part if PVE.
3. PKs and thieves should be after miners like in the good old days. Ingots equal money. The effects on magic and requirement for a weapon skill for the miners adds a different kind of risk in the PVP factor, with a good chance of high reward (lots of resources). No recall/gate would also add to this.
4. Incorporate tinkering and golems - effective against these new elementals allowing for extra resources, but much less effective on general PVE or PVP. Golems would be sweet for warrior based PVE characters as well, and a 5x Merle miner/tinker could be sweet.

Overall I feel like this would be a good idea for balancing PvP and PVE players interactions in an interesting way in a specific location that would greatly increase the chance of a good reward as well as then risk for players that spend hours and hours hitting a last object/last target macro so they can keep their vendor stocked...

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
Making strange templates is something I've done in the past. Making a miner that can fight a bit was something people least expected out of me so I did it for a long while. Like how Wind requires Magery to enter I'd say have certain level of Mining... but I don't want to restrict who can come and go. The Blackrock being already something historically in Ultima to help the chaotic mess of magic.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
There is a huge issue I have with how dug up Elementals . They INSTANTLY DESTROY an item you have maybe it be your weapon, armor, blessed clothing, or hopefully not donation clothing. @Adam @eppy

The direction with the dungeon bosses is great to add a more alive feeling to the creatures. Maybe it's time to revamp monsters and their AI in general to spice up life.