Mining - static ore?

Foldish

So I've recently started playing here, and as I enjoy crafting/gathering skills the most in UO I was shocked when I discovered that ore spawns are static, at least they have been static every time I've mined on this shard. I have not played on original shards, so I don't know how it's there, but in every other shard that I've played the spawns were random. After looking through forums, I could not find anything concerning as to why it is static here.

IMHO random spawns are better, because it does not let certain people who know the exact spots hog majority of the X ore that comes into being. This is mainly because of recalling, if transportation was strictly limited to feet/pets it wouldn't perhaps be too bad.

Another thing that I've noticed, although not sure if it actually is a thing, is that if you mine a fresh spawn, as in it has been mined before, and just recently respawned, it yields ~50% of ore. Say if I mine in a location, where nobody has mined for a long enough period, I might get 30 ore, however, if I mine a fresh spawn, it usually gives around 15 ore. I say that i'm not sure if it is a thing as it might have been a mere coincidence, a pretty often coincidence nonetheless. This shard does not seem to have as sophisticated wikia, as some other unfortunately, to really find out what's going on here.

So, if the ore is static, and if fresh spawns yield 50% ore, that means that some of the high end ore, might be introduced into the server at a pretty slow pace, granted it might actually be higher than some mid tier ore because no one is likely to purposefully mine that ore. Random spawns would balance this out, and if the aforementioned penalty of mining fresh spawns is actually in place, it would perhaps make miners move more often if they do want to find a vein that has a high yield of high level ore.

This however is just my opinion, you're welcome to correct or criticize me all you like, even call me a noob.

Nihilism

Grandmaster
Not sure how you came about the 50% yielding. Every vein I've mined has always had a certain amount +/- maybe 1-2 piles.
Veins are static on OSI, and yes, they are here too.

Random would through a little diversity to it perhaps... understandable.
But with Static/marked/known locations for various colours, means others know those too, meaning people could potentially fight over said vein.
Thus bringing more interaction among players as opposed to chillin' out in the corner of the world and reaping all the benefits relatively risk-free.

Again, that's just my two cents on it too.

Foldish

I guess you are right about the player interaction in the form of fighting over ore, didn't quite think about that as i'm not a PvP person in UO. (it would be funny seeing two miners beating each other with pickaxes, oh if only you could wield a shovel)

Perhaps I'm just used to the randomness from other shards, I did enjoy it though. For some reason I have this mental image of seeing a table which shows the chance of getting specific type of ore at 100 mining from uoguide. Maybe i'm just daydreaming, meh.

Nihilism

Grandmaster
Different skill levels open up different colors.
You can mine a valorite vein at 70 mining skill and will ONLY yield iron ore.
The random piles that WOULD be valorite are given to you a iron as your skill level is too low.

But ya. A lot of things are taken into consideration and most are maintained to appeal to the server as a whole and try to incorporate any/aspects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasak

Grandmaster
The static veins is more realistic and the idea that the skilled or informed players know the great veins (idk if this shard has many rune libraries with books of ore veins) is great for competition thus creating a more dynamic economy.

on a side note - does anyone know if there is a cave that gives a mining bonus? like the orc cave i read about for smithing?