Mining Questions

Cephlen

Neophyte
Been playing around a lot, learning some of the crafting and gathering skills when I have short blocks of time to play.

1. How large are the ore spots? Some tiles will yield one type of ore, and if I move 1 or 2 tiles over, I get the same type. Other times I get a different type with tiles right next to each other.

2. Replenishing the ore seems to occur on a timer of a little at a time? What is this timer about?

3. It appears that when you mine one tile, it takes away ore from a large area around it. Is that is what is happening? How big is that area?

4. What are more efficient ways to collect ore? I learned about the small ore piles for iron, use pack animals for storage, and use both shovel and pick axe to collect faster. Any other tips?

5. Is there any way to get just iron? At this point, getting iron is all I need to raise tinkering and smithing.

6. For armor, the better ore gives a bit better protection. However, it looks like it does nothing for weapons, is this true? Seems like there is little use for better ores as armor only protects against physical damage and most of what I see, so far, is magic. Are they even worth the trouble?

Elizabeth Gold

Grandmaster
From what I learned so far:
- Ore spots are always 4x4 tiles. It doesn't matter on which tile you are standing. It's the tile that you target that counts.
- The amount of ore varries between 10 and 35 ore (haven't seen anything smaller or larger)
- The color and amount of ore is always fixed per 4x4 area.
- From my experience the respawning of ore happens pretty fast. I guess somewhere between 5 and 15 minutes?
- The only way to prevent mining colored ore is to remain under 65.0 mining skill.

Here's an example from my personal UOAM label file, to give you an idea how it works. In each area I noted down the number of ores that can be mined as well as the ore color:
kfmtKxc.png

RAVE GL

Master
Been playing around a lot, learning some of the crafting and gathering skills when I have short blocks of time to play.

1. How large are the ore spots? Some tiles will yield one type of ore, and if I move 1 or 2 tiles over, I get the same type. Other times I get a different type with tiles right next to each other.

2. Replenishing the ore seems to occur on a timer of a little at a time? What is this timer about?

3. It appears that when you mine one tile, it takes away ore from a large area around it. Is that is what is happening? How big is that area?

4. What are more efficient ways to collect ore? I learned about the small ore piles for iron, use pack animals for storage, and use both shovel and pick axe to collect faster. Any other tips?

5. Is there any way to get just iron? At this point, getting iron is all I need to raise tinkering and smithing.

6. For armor, the better ore gives a bit better protection. However, it looks like it does nothing for weapons, is this true? Seems like there is little use for better ores as armor only protects against physical damage and most of what I see, so far, is magic. Are they even worth the trouble?

you want to collect colored as well. just bank it.

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
People will mark the Iron only spots either with UOAutoMap or Runes. The miners in my guild have their own Rune Books marked with 16 Iron only spots and a few have more then 1 book.
Alternatively, you can lock your mining skill at .1 below getting dull copper (Btw, this is a horrible idea if you only have 1 miner. Better option stated above.)