Mining question

Someone near Minoc mine gave me an orc pickaxe then showed something with the ore. He gave me a pile of regular ore and the graphic on it was thin. There were only a few rocks on the image and he said that it weighs a lot less but is still smelted for the same amount of ingots. So I put it in my backpack and I was able to carry a lot more, like maybe 10x more. Is this a trick or is it a legit feature of the game?

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
Wonder if it was combined with the ore you get from earth elementals, that graphic is only a few rocks. Might have to look into this later.

Sent from my Lenovo B8080-F using Tapatalk

Shortbus

Grandmaster
Wonder if it was combined with the ore you get from earth elementals, that graphic is only a few rocks. Might have to look into this later.

Sent from my Lenovo B8080-F using Tapatalk

Yessir...that small ore pile weighs a TON less than the big ore piles which means you can put more onto your packy.

Tearloch

Grandmaster
I have done a lot of mining on this server and haven't seen smaller ore piles. I remember the small piles on OSI being the scraps on the last pull from some veins. How do you get them here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
I have done a lot of mining on this server and haven't seen smaller ore piles. I remember the small piles on OSI being the scraps on the last pull from some veins. How do you get them here?

Earth Elementals

Tearloch

Grandmaster
Then what? Combine the small pile with a regular pile?

Not sure I remember pulling any small ore piles off earth elemental here either. In the OSI version you could not combine the small piles with big piles. This may be a bug unfortunately

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
I know I have had some piles from the Earths on this server, think it was about 3-6 in a pile.
In the OSI version you could not combine the small piles with big piles.
I remember that you could. Big ones when combined with the little ones, turned into little piles, there were 4 pile types, big, medium 1, medium 2, small.

From http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/mining.php
Ore to Ingot Conversion​
Ore Weight Ingots Produced upon Successful Smelt
ore1.gif
Two small piles 2 * 2 stones 1 ingot
ore2.gif
or
ore3.gif
One medium pile 7 stones 1 ingot
ore4.gif
One large pile 12 stones 2 ingots

Last edited by a moderator:

Tearloch

Grandmaster
Maybe but been a long time ago. Didn't think any of those others were implemented here...

Then what? Combine the small pile with a regular pile?

Yes, that's what I was told to do by the more experienced player. He said just make sure that you always keep one pile of the lighter ore in each pack mule and in your backpack and the ore will combine/transform into the lighter version of it. So just use care to pull one ore out of the pile before smelting and go back into action mining with one pile in every place where you plan to put ore.

I just seemed a little odd that I'd be allowed to haul around hundreds of piles of ore in my backpack. So I thought I'd check here to see if anyone knew whats up.

Tearloch

Grandmaster
If I remember correctly the smaller ore piles didn't yield as much in ingots, so I am not sure this is a legit thing here.
Do the small piles give the same amount of ore?

It seems to, yes. The guy who told me of this technique assured me I'd get the same amount of ingots as using the heavier ore. And I was still getting my usual amounts and getting the double smelt on the iron.

Tearloch

Grandmaster
Hope we get a "Works as expected"
I hope. But the "old" version the small 1 stone piles yielded 25% of the ore, and you would only get one per vein of ore at the very end and not on every vein. It was like a bonus. Being able to "convert" a 12 stone pile of ore into a 1 stone pile with no loss of ingot yield seems like a bug. Especially since these small ore piles don't come up during actual mining on this server.