"Mass" recruiting guilds... daheck!?

Sir.

Grandmaster
I have been watching the disco LFG channel and I see just a few guilds in there advertising, but spamming. I have to ask:

1. How do you guys like SMASH, Namjak and CHAMP (3 biggest spammers in there I see) expect to manage such large numbers when you recruit, literally, *anybody and everybody*? You guys DO realize this was the downfall of EQMS and the nutshell ending of City's "burst" right? You are asking to implode by mass recruiting.

2. Why are you guys spamming the disco chat? Are you afraid that people can't scroll up a bit to see your posts just hours apart? Why not realize that your flag is being waved, and seen, and let other guilds have some of the spotlight there too? Looks a bit desperate but gives the impression there are only a few "active guilds" on the shard and I'm positive this is not the case.

3. What is the "catch"? Like, why should I join CHAMP vs Namjak vs SMASH? Just to get some gold and pixels under their umbrella of protection? Do you guys have a "cause" you fight for, or a niche attraction that should make an average player choose you over any other guild besides size?

I hope I am not offending anyone here, as all three guilds have been pretty cool towards me and the Knights, but guys; why? Are you guys trying to be the next big anti-PK guild? Nope. The next big raid/PK guild? Uh-uh.. You guys offer "everything". What do you stand for?.. is it simply strength in numbers?

It seems apparent to me that the average UO players lifespan isn't much more than a year or so after they've gotten "hooked again" unless they are given something to "fight for" aside from gold and pixels... Why not define YOUR guild as a cornerstone of some aspect of UO that helps create a focused group of members? I mean, if you are just gonna make yer members "rich" and create a guild so large that there is no "challenge" against other players or guilds; well, it seems like yer just expediting their retirement :( (that's just me, my opinion, and maybe I offend with this, so i sincerely apologize if I have, but I have to say *something* in hopes of getting other good leaders of these well known guilds to consider).

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to run their guild, just making suggestions, because the spam in the LFG channel is rather -- overwhelming? And it brings me to wonder, "who is who" anymore in terms of the big picture? Is blue/red synonymous now and its guild vs guild? How did we get here?...

Huzzah?.. Hmm

Grug'Bug

Adept
City stopped openly recruiting a long time ago because it was big enough, then recently removed almost 100 people because it was too big. As usual, you have no idea what you are squeaking about. Stop trying to run other people’s guilds, let smash and Elvins weirdo guild play uo how they want.

Last edited:

khajja

Master
It seems apparent to me that the average UO players lifespan isn't much more than a year or so after they've gotten "hooked again" unless they are given something to "fight for" aside from gold and pixels[...] I mean, if you are just gonna make yer members "rich" and create a guild so large that there is no "challenge" against other players or guilds; well, it seems like yer just expediting their retirement

If this were the case, wouldn't the Knights, Orcs, and Trin be bursting at the seams, while werkt would have disappeared long ago having achieved all the pixels while offering everything? Seems big guilds that make their members rich can do a pretty good job of keeping people engaged and playing.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
City stopped openly recruiting a long time ago because it was big enough, then recently removed almost 100 people because it was too big. As usual, you have no idea what you are squeaking about. Stop trying to run other people’s guilds, let smash and Elvins weirdo guild play uo how they want.

I'm not sure why some of you always have a bug up your ass about Sir and his posts, but it's pretty pathetic. He brings up valid points, he hasn't told anyone they couldn't run their guilds the way they want, he's looking for insights. He's offering a bit of advice, it's everyone's choice whether to take it or not. At some point you really need to let things go, and grow the f up. His comment towards City was merely that you mass recruited until you were bursting at the seems, (hence you stopped recruiting a long time ago), he didn't suggest City is no longer a player, or an entity out there, merely that mass recruiting isn't necessarily the only route forward even though many seem to go that way...

I've often wondered why many new guilds take the mass recruiting approach, as opposed to finding people that are the right fit for the guild they are running. As opposed to defining their niche, and getting players who fit in, connect, and get the most out of the guild, and the guild gets the most out of them... I'd suggest through experience that it's harder to explode at the seams, then pick the players you want, throw away the rest, and settle into a niche, it's damaging to your image. Rather it's easier to define your niche, and build slowly and properly, with the right people.

Of course what are my experiences to anyone else on the forums? For those who know and/or respect me and my posts, maybe meaningful, like Sir's posts are to me, for those who don't, they are probably meaningless. I just hope when I post them, they generate some sort of interesting discussion, not weak veiled insults which really just show us as the toxic community many seem to opine about.

StegcO

Grandmaster
Sir. you missed the days when Werkt recruited even people that have quitted just to fight 5 moneys :D

Grug'Bug

Adept
I'm not sure why some of you always have a bug up your ass about Sir and his posts, but it's pretty pathetic. He brings up valid points, he hasn't told anyone they couldn't run their guilds the way they want, he's looking for insights. He's offering a bit of advice, it's everyone's choice whether to take it or not. At some point you really need to let things go, and grow the f up. His comment towards City was merely that you mass recruited until you were bursting at the seems, (hence you stopped recruiting a long time ago), he didn't suggest City is no longer a player, or an entity out there, merely that mass recruiting isn't necessarily the only route forward even though many seem to go that way...

I've often wondered why many new guilds take the mass recruiting approach, as opposed to finding people that are the right fit for the guild they are running. As opposed to defining their niche, and getting players who fit in, connect, and get the most out of the guild, and the guild gets the most out of them... I'd suggest through experience that it's harder to explode at the seams, then pick the players you want, throw away the rest, and settle into a niche, it's damaging to your image. Rather it's easier to define your niche, and build slowly and properly, with the right people.

Of course what are my experiences to anyone else on the forums? For those who know and/or respect me and my posts, maybe meaningful, like Sir's posts are to me, for those who don't, they are probably meaningless. I just hope when I post them, they generate some sort of interesting discussion, not weak veiled insults which really just show us as the toxic community many seem to opine about.

Maybe it’s the constant whining and complete untruths he is guilty of? Maybe it’s the pms I get with pics of his conversations trying to get people banned over things that have never happened just because they argued with him or competed against him in game? I personally think it’s better to be salty in public than a snake in private.

Young Star

Grandmaster
I dont think guilds necessarily have to provide some unique thing for people to want to join. I do think it helps though to be clear about what your guild likes to do in the hopes to bring in people that want to do the same.

People may bounce around these guilds to find one with people they get along well with. Even if they all like to do the same things, typically what it comes down to is how the individuals get along with one another.

I think several guilds want to be able to play all aspects of the game vs focusing solely on one part, ie PKing or RPing.

Just because guilds are mass recruiting doesnt mean they are keeping all people that they recruit. Some people just arent a good fit but it takes time to learn how they get along and how they act in game.

Spamming LFG can be kind of excessive. You also have to understand that a lot of people do not scroll up very far when it comes to discord history.

I think having these multiple newer guilds open recruiting is a good thing. I am sure they will eventually stop like others have, ie City, when they get to a decent size or get a good mix of players to do the thing they like to do in game.

ZoeyLove

Novice
]You guys DO realize this was the downfall of EQMS? You are asking to implode by mass recruiting.

But was it? EQMS was the biggest most popular guild on the server with what I would say was the YOUNGEST (in terms of hours spent on UOF) and most n00b friendly roster. Unfortunately their leadership made some bad decisions and shard owners had to take action, but man did they accept and develop a lot of new players for the server. At least while I've been here. Perhaps mass recruiting for guilds like these and creating an environment more accessible by newer players isn't the worst thing. Abusing their numbers in the way that the n00bs in purple did is just something staff has to actively watch out for (IE PKing 15 deep with trackers in dungeons). I wouldn't say any of these guilds are really "flexing" on anybody tho, and constantly having players around to engage in UOF content and having protection against PKs is a very viable way to encourage NEW players to stick around. And NEW players are Shane's target market.

Sir.

Grandmaster
Ahh i thank those of you who had some real insight on the subject for an outsider (me) looking in. Again i apologize if i offended anyone but i know you guys are strong leaders and just had to raise the question for the sake of the question "why"?

A lot of questions i had were answered with some elaborate and some short answers. Mexi, chill out nerd, i actually think City made the right move downsizing to make sure you could manage numbers. @AreYouKidden understood the point clearly and others gave good feedback. As for yer accusations, im pretty sure when talk gets nasty its mature to take it to pms - deal with it bruh, let it go lol

Thanks everyone for the feedback and discussing this!

Xiulan

Master
What "spamming" are you even talking about? All those guilds are posting their ads about once per day or every few days, which is perfectly reasonable and is simply how Dis.cord works. Nonexistent problem imo. Also, posting a regular ad and "mass recruiting" are not the same thing (i.e., not everyone responding to an ad will actually be added to a guild).

Sir.

Grandmaster
I guess when people dont scroll up to read history, the spam is necessary (im talkin about the big image and ad guilds that "seem" to be competing to be seen.. just seems to me that it should be easy to scroll up but realistically from what i am gathering a lot dont do that)... im not pointing at Tribe tho @Xiulan - they have a "thene" and purpose; they are a family guild looking for good vibe people from what i seen advertised nor do u guys spam like others

Nekronos

Master
If I had to rebuild / rebrand all over again I would mass recruit. It’s simply the most efficient and reasonable way to fill your hopper. Like everyone else has already commented, not everything from the hopper makes it to the loyal long gone term guildy category. You just have to sort wheat from chaff. Mass posting also gives people a sense of who is hungry. Most established guilds won’t take anyone without a good reason, or just poach them from other established guilds so they don’t need to use this channel. It’s the only viable mechanism for a new brand intent on growing

Xiulan

Master
I guess when people dont scroll up to read history, the spam is necessary (im talkin about the big image and ad guilds that "seem" to be competing to be seen.. just seems to me that it should be easy to scroll up but realistically from what i am gathering a lot dont do that)... im not pointing at Tribe tho @Xiulan - they have a "thene" and purpose; they are a family guild looking for good vibe people from what i seen advertised nor do u guys spam like others

I know you're not talking about Tribe. We prefer to stay small and only post ads in LFG once a week or so. I just don't think it's accurate to call it "spamming" when people post ads daily or every other day. That's just how Dis.cord works -- it's more of a real-time communication platform, not like the forums where you make one thread and bump it occasionally.

Sir.

Grandmaster
I know you're not talking about Tribe. We prefer to stay small and only post ads in LFG once a week or so. I just don't think it's accurate to call it "spamming" when people post ads daily or every other day. That's just how Dis.cord works -- it's more of a real-time communication platform, not like the forums where you make one thread and bump it occasionally.
Fair point! I suppose this gives the forums a lasting place too then as previously i was worried disco endangered the forums by the nature of its use, as you pointed out. Thanks for the feedback.
And good way to put it as well @Nekronos - i suppose as long as there is a plan for management after the "sorting" this angle makes sense too

But was it? EQMS was the biggest most popular guild on the server with what I would say was the YOUNGEST (in terms of hours spent on UOF) and most n00b friendly roster. Unfortunately their leadership made some bad decisions and shard owners had to take action, but man did they accept and develop a lot of new players for the server. At least while I've been here. Perhaps mass recruiting for guilds like these and creating an environment more accessible by newer players isn't the worst thing. Abusing their numbers in the way that the n00bs in purple did is just something staff has to actively watch out for (IE PKing 15 deep with trackers in dungeons). I wouldn't say any of these guilds are really "flexing" on anybody tho, and constantly having players around to engage in UOF content and having protection against PKs is a very viable way to encourage NEW players to stick around. And NEW players are Shane's target market.

I still think EQMS wernt a problem, but rather exploiting the shit out of the target closest hot key by using 8 to 20 spell cannons to run at players mashing their homing missile hot key was (well IS).

If that hot key (and could also argue easy bar pull) was taken away or simply altered to actually hit the closest target (mob, player or guildie), their strength would have diminished big time.

I really don't miss being charged at by 15 children on meth (or cough syrup) who discovered sallos from a recovering but 'helpful' addict.

I guess Albion has target friendly "pvp" or I'm sure EQMS#2 would be in full effect on uof.