Make metas relevant to PVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I don't think it matters if it's pets or talismans. It's still far-fetched as fuck.

And the idea of the OP was for it to take effect only when you are attacked, not while attacking so it can only be used as an additional defense when you are already in a vulnerable situation and not as a PK tool.

Which, ironically, is the main reason people choose defensive talisman: to use the relics as a dungeon PK tool and to protect the attacker.

Adramelech

Master
I don't think it matters if it's pets or talismans. It's still far-fetched as fuck.

And the idea of the OP was for it to take effect only when you are attacked, not while attacking so it can only be used as an additional defense when you are already in a vulnerable situation and not as a PK tool.

Which, ironically, is the main reason people choose defensive talisman: to use the relics as a dungeon PK tool and to protect the attacker.

Yeah, I don't much get the op's sentiment. If anything if we get a "tamer talisman" I would hope it would be more quality of life type improvements, like greatly increasing skill gain, loyalty, vet bandage range etc.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Well they did XP and skill gain as well as control via faction sigil.

Pretty safe to say no tamer tali. There may be one coming for crafters though!

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
Yeah, I don't much get the op's sentiment. If anything if we get a "tamer talisman" I would hope it would be more quality of life type improvements, like greatly increasing skill gain, loyalty, vet bandage range etc.
just need one more and you have a whole set, maybe one to lower(lessen) stat loss on death... :p

Bubbles

Master
In the pre-Trammel/Felucia years, skill gains were slow, and most characters on the shard were not 7x GMs. That made PK attempts more interesting: there was a good chance that one player had a statistical leg up on the other player. Consequently, there was a good chance that the PK would die.

In contrast, on UOF (the greatest shard in existence), skill gains are fast, and most players on the shard are 7x GMs. This makes PK attempts less interesting: it's almost certain that no player has a statistical leg up on the other player. Consequently, there's almost no chance that the PK will die.

In most PK attempts on UOF, both players are evenly matched, but the PK has all the advantage: he is mentally prepared and not damaged from combat with mobs, etc. Consequently, the victim either successfully flees or dies. Undoubtedly, there are exceptions, but exceptions are exactly that.

If metas (totems, pets, etc.) were made relevant, it would restore the risk that made PKing exciting. It would also give players a chance for the glory, the stories, and the other intangibles, that come with a victory in a one-on-many fight.

What I mean to propose in this post is the overall idea. I don't mean to propose any specifics, such as whether metas should be as powerful in PvP as they are in PvM or in what circumstances they should be relevant to PvP. I think it's best to first see if the overall idea interests anyone, and leave the debate about the particulars for another thread.
Do u not see the flaw in this? You want to use your meta to protect you better , but what happens when you are farming and a pk comes in with a meta pet to kill you. Now he's exactally the same thing u are complaining about but stronger.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

God.RG

Grandmaster
Eh to say that a tamer should have no problem defending himself is a slippery slope. That depends on a lot of things.

If you are a PvM tamer (which is what the OP seems most concerned about even if he admittedly wants all chars to be OP against PKs) and you miss your chance to recall without being disrupted you are pretty much toast regardless of buffs and gear.

QS is a specific example that only a relatively limited number of players have at their disposal. And even then you need to activate at just the right time. It can easily be avoided when it goes off and when the timer runs out you are back to being very vulnerable.

PvM tamers are easy targets for sure. Especially when attackers have a numbers advantage. And that's the way it should be.

The only time I fought (and killed, not just chased off) multiple PKs attacking me was on a PvP scribe tamer geared for war. And the guys attacking me were shitters, DragonX and Salsa. And it took work. Lots of work.
you can literally run around in circles mini healing and spamming all guard me.

God.RG

Grandmaster
--- Again - I'm not talking about tamers. I didnt even mean to emphasize them. I actually had mages/warriors in mind when I wrote this.
so what's to stop reds from using them against blues? then the blues cry even more because they're dying to OP meta dexxers.

this is just an all around bad idea.

Bromista

Grandmaster
He wants it to be one-sided for the victim because if you are PvM'ing you are being attacked at a disadvantage.

He wants to be able facerape you when you attack him, basically.

He is also giving absolutely 0 consideration to players who get PK'ed while not fighting monsters. Probably the biggest of the many oversights this suggestion presents.

Bromista

Grandmaster
And how would it even work? What would prevent someone from activating this ability on their red with an alt then using their red to attack blues?

MZ3K

Grandmaster
The idea is that it's nostalgic for some players who were elite 7x pvpers back in the days when most people were only adept skills, for years. So the point is that talismans become the new gap. At least, that's what I gathered from actually reading the OP...

Basically this.

Like you said - actually reading the post would go a long way.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
And the idea of the OP was for it to take effect only when you are attacked, not while attacking...

That definitely wasn't in the OP. Again - Read it.

In the OP. I explicitly said that I didn't want to get into specifics like that.

Other posters have boiled down the idea that motivated the OP: there should be some sort of stat gap in PvP:

UO is like a trading card game or a motor sport. What you're able to build up, and how well you use what you build, should both matter.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
You want to use your meta to protect you better , but what happens when you are farming and a pk comes in with a meta pet to kill you. Now he's exactally the same thing u are complaining about but stronger.

The point is, that in UO:R you had the option to improve the outcomes of those situations by
1. Practicing your PvP
or
2. Buffing up your guy.

On this server, everyone's 7X GM within a week. So everyone's equally buff. So number 2 isn't an option. If it takes longer to become the best you can be, people will PvP without having reached that point (like we did back in the day). If not everyone has reached that point, then you can be better, stats wise, than the people who haven't. That is more than we can say for the way it is now.

Stats shouldn't override skill, but in a game like UO working to make your stats an advantage should be an option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilike

Grandmaster
Dude if you can't kill or at least fight off 1-3 pks with a meta pet as it is, you just suck

If you get attacked while qs is proc'ed now, the pk pretty much instantly dies (which wasn't supposed to be the case, as admins always said that metas wouldn't be stronger than dragons and that relics wouldn't affect pvp). Tamers, especially meta tamers, are already borderline OP in pvp.
I'm sorry but you're a fucking clown if you think 3 people can't come in and drop 1 tamer. Specially considering most tamers are pure pvm.

If the tamer is set up for pvp, he MIGHT fuck 3 shit pvpers, but considering 99% of tamers don't run resist,pouches,pots etc.

If anything YOU'RE the one who doesn't know what he's talking about.

In regards to the OP fuck no. What a stupid idea.

Sent from my SM-G900P

Bubbles

Master
Of course. The point is, that in UO:R you had the option to improve the outcomes of those situations by
1. Practicing your PvP
or
2. Buffing up your guy.

On this server, everyone's 7X GM within a week. So everyone's equally buff. So number 2 isn't an option.Stats shouldn't override skill, but in a game like UO that option should be there.
I played moment out of beta until trammel. I have every chr 7x gm skill I used. Not all pvp but even with power hour and anti macro code. So to say nobody was 7x is not correct. The only time this occurred is pre skill lock. I'm just saying use "all kill closest murderer" macro to survive and recal. Pvp metas will only cause more harm than good.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

God.RG

Grandmaster
but considering 99% of tamers don't run resist,pouches,pots etc.

Sent from my SM-G900P
if you don't use resist, pouches, pots, etc then you are a fucking idiot. pvm or not.
i guarantee you that if you hand me a level 7 meta and a mare i can fight off 3 random pk'ers 90% of the time.

but you're garbage so you wouldn't understand that, huh?

Infectious

Master
if you don't use resist, pouches, pots, etc then you are a fucking idiot. pvm or not.
i guarantee you that if you hand me a level 7 meta and a mare i can fight off 3 random pk'ers 90% of the time.

Please tell me when you see a group of "3 random pkers"....... Typically if i see 3 reds coming at me theyre in the same guild and in call... nothing random about it... so please make up more scenarios to make your point seem valid...

Only tamers that i typically see actually rolling around with resist, pouches, pots, etc are the red stun tamers doing the pk'ing

Kilike

Grandmaster

I agree YES YOU SHOULD, but people don't period. It's that fucking simple. THUS you're wrong. God damn you're ******** huh

Status
Not open for further replies.