lets discuss thieves risk

Kraden

Grandmaster
well didn`t know that i was just trying my best to outrun him so he woulden`t steal my precious easter eggs i failed obviously and i was riding my ethy indeed ;-)
and i think much more people didn`t know cause i saw him later with the title collector :)
Also if i had something stolen the day before in town by a guy and i see him the next day in town i don`t attack him cause he might have died in between and i could get guard whacked .
And also like i said i don`t like killing people i run or die from PK`s and am really a bad PvPer i am a PvM player .

Then you need to do more research before carrying your stuff around like the eggs, should have known thieves would be out in full force, just saying

Also, if you are provoing two ballys and a thief comes up then provo the ballys onto the thief or the PK dont have to do much for PvP there provo them beasts on the other guy and spamm yourself with cure pots and mini heals, maybe after they run off then invis or hide yourself for two min to recall if you even go grey from provoing onto a thief, because you wont for doing it to a red

Hugrin

Then you need to do more research before carrying your stuff around like the eggs, should have known thieves would be out in full force, just saying

Also, if you are provoing two ballys and a thief comes up then provo the ballys onto the thief or the PK dont have to do much for PvP there provo them beasts on the other guy and spamm yourself with cure pots and mini heals, maybe after they run off then invis or hide yourself for two min to recall if you even go grey from provoing onto a thief, because you wont for doing it to a red
yeah i did that i provooed the bally on the thief and went grey the bally`s killed the thief and i wanted to get the loot from the bally`s then he showed up with another character and killed me . so he got all my stuff not that i had much but still .
The thief didn`t turn grey so i did when i provoed the bally`s on him .
and it was the same thief who got the eater eggs from me later on .So think that makes him my private nemesis lol .
Btw i have also another example of something simular i was on my provo mage i provoed two bloods and also put down 2 ev`s to kill them a blue guy shows up steals from the blood turns grey the ev`s attack him he runs cures himself and kills me lol .
I was very shocked lol
and a bit upset ;-)now if i provo something and ev it when i see someone i recall ;-)

Kraden

Grandmaster
yeah i did that i provooed the bally on the thief and went grey the bally`s killed the thief and i wanted to get the loot from the bally`s then he showed up with another character and killed me . so he got all my stuff not that i had much but still .
The thief didn`t turn grey so i did when i provoed the bally`s on him .
and it was the same thief who got the eater eggs from me later on .So think that makes him my private nemesis lol .
Btw i have also another example of something simular i was on my provo mage i provoed two bloods and also put down 2 ev`s to kill them a blue guy shows up steals from the blood turns grey the ev`s attack him he runs cures himself and kills me lol .
I was very shocked lol
and a bit upset ;-)

Yeah one of the reasons why having multi accounts is lame as hell

Book of Dowth

Neophyte
Hello,
I'm Donkey Puncher, friendly thief to Destard.

I would like to tell you what it is like to steal.
First off, its like the absolute worst way to make money in the game. Yes, its highly obnoxious to have a thief steal your regs, or slowly pick away at your gold. Yes, its pretty damn annoying to have a disarm thief keep stealing your dragon slaying weapons.

However, tracking pretty much ruins all the fun for a thief. that's 1 skill that takes no talent. then theres the reveal spell which all mages have, and the detect hidden skill which is as obnoxious to a thief as it is effective.
I personally thrive when more come to kill me because I then have more targets and I'm very good at evading people. Not many people are, and that's why there are very few thieves that leave town. Hell, most people don't play a thief period.
Now I know what you are thinking.. but I don't want to add these skills to my gold farmer.. and I don't blame you.. I don't either.

All I can say is don't stand in one place. Always assume I will be stealing from the shadows. Trust me, it is the single most effective and basic strategy. If you keep moving, I don't have time to do all the set it that it takes to ensure a safe getaway.
if you do this, the thief will either leave you alone, or they will try to steal but leave themselves open for attack.

Also, I agree with a previous poster. Make a thief, try it out, see how difficult it can get to be a successful thief. That way, when you do get stolen from, you'll have a certain level of respect for the player rather than wishing they would nerf the class all together.

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
Just take precautions around WBB; most thieves don't have the balls to dungeon raid/steal (blessings on those that do). =D

Still, you can make a thieves life harder by taking a few basic steps:

Don't leave any vital supplies in a container that is not trapped. Trapped pouches make it so a thief needs to open the pouch to steal anything specific, and if the pouch itself is 20+ stones (easy if you stuff all your regs and potions in said pouch) they can't steal the pouch itself leaving them only the former option.

Layer pouches; trapped pouch in a trapped pouch in a trapped pouch in a trapped pouch (with your supplies at the end of that chain if you don't mind re-trapping them every time you log in). You -can- leave your regs/pots/crafting mats in a player made crate than magic -LOCK- it to prevent snooping or lock-picking all together (again, make sure it weighs 20+ stones to prevent the crate itself from being stolen). I think a thief can magic-unlock it, but the casting would reveal them and give you a chance to run away; plus you can layer those crates too. ;)

Thieves are as effective as you allow them to be. I get stolen from, it happens, but all it did was remind me I wasn't being cautious enough.

Really though, thieves are fine. I have a character with stealing, but I never bothered other people; I tend to steal in dungeons from mobs. I get a chuckle thinking of that would-be-hero slaying mobs only to find all the loot is already gone. :p

Daddys Money

Grandmaster
I think stealing has already been nerfed on this shard, as its not the way it was before trammel. the whole "Thou art a criminal, and cannot escape so easily" was put in after pub 16. I can remember stealing from people and running through moon gates or just recalling away after said theft.

StegcO

Grandmaster
BTW I think the No-Recall after Attack/Kill/Criminal needs to work only in city under guards, who block me to insta recall in a deepest lvl of dungeon? God himself? :D

Nah. I have a thief that roams the countryside for the unwary. Insta-steal, and Insta-recall is simply too much power for a thief ambush.

Getting away with loot after a good chase, is most of the fun. :D

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
The recall block is a good thing, believe it or not.

Back when I used to play on a different shard ( Hyb- something ;) ) people would explo-recall people in the middle of town; usually in groups of 3~4 players to ensure a death. It's my opinion this mechanic was one of the factors that killed that shard, and staff made the recall block to keep that shit from happening.

I know what you're saying, but I don't think there is a difference in Sosaria based on crimes; a criminal flag is a criminal flag is a criminal flag (code-wise speaking).

They could lift the recall block, but it would ultimately harm the server over-all when people with nothing better to do start buying 1~2 of the required explo-recall regs and mass murdered players in town.

There would also be an odd balance of power for letting a thief escape immediately, but the player that turned to defend themselves from the theft is stuck there for 'Wouldst thou flee in the midst of combat?'

But that's all guess-work.

StegcO

Grandmaster
I agree about the Town, you described how can be exploited. But in a dungeon why i cant recall after a kill? How can be exploited? Probably after a steal is too easy if you can insta recall but after a kill or attack someone i dont think.

Book of Dowth

Neophyte
I agree about the Town, you described how can be exploited. But in a dungeon why i cant recall after a kill? How can be exploited? Probably after a steal is too easy if you can insta recall but after a kill or attack someone i dont think.
After you kill someone, it forces you to either leave on foot, or to wait 2 minutes to unflag. Both give the person killed to get their friends to come kill you.
Personally, if stealing & looting a corpse is a 2 minute timer, I think straight up killing someone should be a 5 or 10 minute timer... but... then people wouldn't dungeon hop looking for unsuspecting and unprepared players to kill... so... that's probably why thieves and murders have to wait it out.
think more, post less =)

StegcO

Grandmaster
First of all I want to say "Thank you", its clear that you will give me a lot of fun, 13 post and you are salty af.

I love that

Second i want to say "Thank you" becouse you explained to me, and to all the community, why there is a timer after a kill.

Seems our knowelge of UO will incrase a lot now that you are here.

Thieves generally suck now given safe zones.

The few that troll around are usually scared pvpers who use steam scripts rather than risking death (and the associated epeen loss) on an unsuccessful raid.

Thieving has been butchered since players became too toxic with scripts - like much of this classic game.

It's a pity as back 8-10 yrs back on uoforever it was a real art form. Now it's been reduced to children running around with outrageous automated scripts.

The few that troll around are usually scared pvpers who use steam scripts rather than risking death (and the associated epeen loss) on an unsuccessful raid.

Thieving has been butchered since players became too toxic with scripts - like much of this classic game.

It's a pity as back 8-10 yrs back on uoforever it was a real art form. Now it's been reduced to children running around with outrageous automated scripts.

I am filled with shock and resentment at this outlandish descriiption of my activities ! o_O

I'll have you know that I wander the lands of Britannia searching for any unwary wankers who are diddling away smelling the flowers, or pestering some innocent Ettin... craftily I then approach in my stealthiest manner, peep into their belongings, and lay my grubby fingers on whatever appeals to me. ( I got 4 orange petals last week !! )

All of this is done manually, and when I'm revealed, will almost always begin some awkwardly stupid conversation in an attempt to start the chase.
Ever had someone pop into existence beside you claiming - "Holy cow, I recalled almost right on top of you ! "... or "Hey, you're trampling my campsite !" or " Look out, I'm hiding from a bunch of reds that keep coming thru here !!!" ?? That's my fine handiwork.

88% of the time this results in my pursuit, and ultimate demise. Great for laughs tho.

wkstrm

Master

I don't use scripts when stealing. The most advanced thing I use is a razor hotkey for last target. ;)
Then it's all hotkeys in the UO-client to make hiding, stealth and stuff like that to work. And I still most of the times outsmart the ones that are chasing me.

Stealing is as you say, an artform. Yesterday I stole a +115 peacemaking PS in Vesper for example. Maybe not the most valuable prize, but it's not going up for sale either since I think it was a nice steal and it deserves a place in my trophy room! :D