lets discuss thieves risk

Nanashi

Grandmaster
I am lost, can someone help me find the "Whiney guild?" lol great post though I lost track after the word thief.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lavos

Master
Wtf are you fucking ********? People steal power scrolls and rare items nice way to avoid the concept of the argument.

Fuck this thread if only thieves are gonna answer.

This isn't about how uo works its about how thieves can steal and waste another players efforts and not get punished. They risk nothing. They don't risk time because they are playing a thief the time spent getting guard whacked is part if that.

But what of the person who gets their 800k statue they just bought off a vendor stolen? The thief doesn't pay anything for risking that move they either fail or succeed. There's no punishment for failure.

So what if you die trying you don't have regs resources armor or weapons to lose. Yer all butt naked. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. What's so fucking hard about understanding that? 2 mins rez time to try and steal a million dollar gold item isn't to bad if say. Sheeeeeesh tards lol

You all have huge reading comprehension issues so fuck this thread

Yeah, we get what your saying, but you're assuming its all easy and you can just log on a thief and instantly get a huge expensive item. Where you are wrong is that thieves actually do risk a lot of time, and if you disagree then you've clearly never played a thief.

Something like taking a few regs from someone in town requires little time risk, but pays off very little. Going for a much more expensive item actually takes time and planning, and there's a very very good chance you will end up with nothing after all of the time you spent. Not to mention that when you steal, you also have to make it to safety afterwards.

People tend to protect expensive items a lot more, you know , trading at the trammel-zone docks and whatnot. If someone doesn't sufficiently protect their items (which is VERY easy to do), then really that is their own fault. Its a mistake we've all made, but learn from. That's just part of UO.

It sounds like the thing you are looking for is called Trammel, which most of the people on this server want nothing to do with

monktoast

Expert
Soon my pretties you will discover monktoast knows everything and will never be wrong.

I mote it be

Blessed be

Mechalechahimechaheinieho

monktoast

Expert
Btw I'm not a Trammie not would I ever start playing a trammel shard because that's pointless.

Like I said i love thieves, they are cool. One of my favorite all time book characters is tasslehoff burrfoot but please don't let him know I said he is a thief

MANKRIK

Grandmaster
thieves have it super easy carebear mode here lol

Yeah, and apparently so do PK's and anyone who doesn't stick to a blue cookie cutter PvM playstyle.

Why do people jump into the game and instantly start complaining about getting killed/scammed/looted? That's the very essence of UO and why people still continue to play it. If things were really as bad as you claim and thieves were running rampant you'd see players leave the shard in droves. It's not like anyone is paying to be here, you can leave anytime you want. A handful of people crying on the forums about this is a vocal minority considering there is upwards of 900 unique clients on this shard (which continues to grow).

monktoast

Expert
Any open pvp game who invites new players will have angry people who may not be used to such openness.

just suck it up and entertain them. That's what's cool about this shard for all my raging people have pretty much been very cool about it and point things out and how to survive

This is how to keep new players.

calling them whiners and to tell them to play a trammel shard will not keep new players

And once again I never said to nerf thieves its only a fucking discussion jeezus I'm not here to ruin your fuckin character

Nubby

Apprentice
Track before you make a big purchase. Get the sand out of your vagina. I don't play a thief but I'm a huge supporter of multiple templates/playstyles.

You do realize you can pk nonstop and only be down 2 days (for that character)? If it was 3 days thieves would be more prevalent, but it's not so most just play a blue or red, hardly any theives.

Warhammers/halberds/heavy xbows are not stealable, and most mages are "pure" with only regs. Thieves really only have a shot at grief or disarming a dexer bard/pk and they risk if another weapon is in the backpack.

monktoast

Expert
Because thieves can't make 50k an hour, and they suck as a template so they are free to commit crime wantonly and without punishment.

=}

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Why do you get a 2 minute timer that prevents you from recalling when you loot a body or perform any negative act on a blue target, but when you steal there is no grey timer? You can steal and run away quickly and recall but you can't do the same after ninja looting or harming someone. You guys should remove the 2 minute freeze out time for looting and pking or add the timer to thieving as well.

I think it depends on the success of the steal. 100% success you can recall away, partial success you get the item but are gray and can't recall, fail you get no item and are gray. I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure.

They used to have no crim timer for pks but people couldn't handle it. I doubt they will remove it since it hamstrings pks and prevents them from just recalling around mass slaughtering everything they see.

Nanashi

Grandmaster
I usually hide or cast invis in town. If I see a naked person running around with just a cape!? well I recall my ass back to my hermit house and then go to another bank lol

monktoast

Expert
My first and only interaction with a thief so far, was my second day:

I see someone stealing from me message thing I forget whatnot said

I turn around I say "stop it"

Thief " a thief has to make a living too"

I say " well it's not a good living if you can't even afford a shirt"

Hehehe pretty comical

Vagingo

Neophyte
i think the obvious solution is stat loss for everyone when they die since what does a provoker or tamer risk when killing innocent monsters in their own homes?

Sanguine

Neophyte
Wow is this a troll thread? Are you serious? Lol
Let me go over how many cons a thief stealing from a monster over farming it there are:

1. A thief can't kill the monster, thus he must wait for someone else to be killing them or do so himself (making stealing from it pointless anyway) so therefore the thief is essentially maxed out to farming ONE monster. Wow killer loot. Read below for if a thief is stealing while your farming a monster.

2. Any thief that has recently been gray from stealing can be freely attacked (even if showing blue).

3. A thief regardless of above can not report for murder, thus, literally anyone can murder a thief without risk of count.

4. Thieves are risking the exact same thing someone farming is. The monster could kill them, a pk could kill them (anyone could actually kill them).

5. A thief randomly steals and it takes multiple attempts to get all the gold, so looting a monster dry takes time.

Overall I just wanted you to read that your argument is pointless.. Thieves risk the same things you do of death by a monster or player. They must invest more time per monster loot, and they have a lot less efficient killing/defensive skills (depending on thief build)