IRC guide: How to kill your Ghosts (Nicknames after dc)

drinn

Grandmaster
Hey guys!

I have been disconnecting pretty often on GeekShed IRC network recently due to my job's bad Internet connection with 24/2 on 15 different computers plus with the WLAN for the customers. Today also my home Internet has been disconnecting every hour at same time. That should not happen that often... trying to figure out the problem.

The "problem" has been with the GeekShed network. Other IRC networks I get back with my nickname instantly, but on GeekShed and channels like #UOForever you have to get your nickname registered in to begin chatting.

Problem is that, when you disconnect you get your nickname idle there for 960 seconds, which means 17 minutes. That is pretty frustrating to be honest, when you want to chat. You cannot talk on #uoforever as unregistered.

I learned that there is a command for that, which is GHOST.

So, I wanted to share how it works on GeekShed IRC Network.

When you lose your connection and nickname you can kill your registered nickname from the GeekShed.

It happens via command below:

/msg NickServ GHOST RegisteredNickname Password

On IRC you will see following one after you have used the GHOST command.

[20:44:32] -NickServ- Ghost with your nick has been killed.

Then you can rename yourself to registered nickname and get +R back pretty quickly.

[20:44:35] * Your nick is now drinn
-
[20:44:35] * Services.GeekShed.net sets mode: +r
-
[20:44:35] -NickServ- You have been automatically identified as you recently ghosted this nickname.

Make sure that NickServ is the real bot, when you do this.

This is only GeekShed IRC network related since this does not happen on other IRC networks like QuakeNet and IRCNet.

Last edited by a moderator: