Idol of the Magi tactics, template, tips

BMan

Apprentice
I am working towards obtaining the Idol of the Magi, which I already have beserker and resilience. However, my question is, it seems like you can't obtain kills for the gleaming stone using a pet or EV, so I have switched to a swords dexxer build and getting my kills. It should be easy to switch back to mage template later, but this got me thinking.

I read that GM spirit speak using the Idol of the Magi grants instant mana back for each offensive spell cast. So, How do people work in spirit speak into their templates? I was thinking of the following...

Anatomy
Evaluating Intelligence
Magery
Meditation
Resisting Spells
Spirit Speak
Wrestling

This would basically allow me to stun, and use spirit speak, but I am curious how well this would work? When fighting and gaining experience with the Idol of the Magi, I also read that you must have aggro on you (so not on a pet or EV for instance), to gain XP. If this is true, I would imagine having stun is important. With no healing skill (what would possibly go in place for spirit speak), I'm just curious of some tactics used to gaining XP.

I guess I will ultimately find out when I finish my last 25 orc mine overseers and brutes, and kill off the deamon, but I was just curious how people have been using the Idol of the Magi.

Thanks!

SirLothar

Grandmaster
Your ideas are almost there but note that aggro is no longer needed to gain xp. Therefore stun is not a must. Swap wrestling for healing and see how it goes, you will be a lot more versatile and save mana on your heals. It makes you tougher to drop as well.

BMan

Apprentice
Ok thanks for the tip. I just noticed that I wasn't getting the kills for the 100 champions when using EV, or even sometimes a pet, so switched to swords, and will drop once I get blood from deamon. I will start back up with healing instead of wrestling, but I was affraid that wrestling would provide better cast interuption prevention, no?

Anyhow, I guess it is easy to play with the skills a bit, and tinkering around may be key... Now just waiting for Deamon to s pawn, lol!

SirLothar

Grandmaster
Using swords to get the charges is definitely faster than just killing the mobs with magery, then switch back. In general playing a meta mage you shouldn't be standing right next to mobs to make wrestling worth it. The only real use would be in pvp to stun and/or get away from reds.

girana

Grandmaster
using meele for the 100kills

after that:
Evaluating Intelligence
Magery
Meditation
Resisting Spells
Spirit Speak
Wrestling
Hiding

HellGuy

Adept
İ placed stealth instead of wrestling. IMO getting loot out from champions or RDAs with stealth is much worthy than anything healing and wrestling can provide.

Magery
Eval
S speak
Meditation
Hiding
Resisting spells
Stealth

BTW i had killed 100 demons with magery summoned pet last hits counted as kill. A Deamon tanked em all when I ebolt shit out of em.

BMan

Apprentice
Interesting on the stealth build, I selected healing and anatomy instead of hiding and stealth, reading the wiki shows anatomy and evaluate int gives same defensive wrestling ability, so healing kinda goes with that also.. But, still trying it out, I can always play around I guess with various builds.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

HellGuy

Adept
Interesting on the stealth build, I selected healing and anatomy instead of hiding and stealth, reading the wiki shows anatomy and evaluate int gives same defensive wrestling ability, so healing kinda goes with that also.. But, still trying it out, I can always play around I guess with various builds.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yea, I got my idol and exploring methods of gaining XP. Since there is penalty on wearing armor, Stealth saved me so many times both from players and monsters. All you need is to hit "Hide" or cast an "Invisibility" on your self. It is amazing that you can walk after that spell, I mostly end tiles away till they notice and try to reveal that spot.

And I survived two champ invades by just sneaking out and being around till the invaders kill the boss so I get my saved and had a loot out of it. 115 provocation! So I can say it works out so far.