How we Killed Ultima Online's Virtual Ecology

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
This was a pretty fun and informative video, I've seen it talked about a few times... The reality is, as humans we often break our own toys, we broke this one before it was ever allowed to blossom...

Glassyalabolas

Neophyte
So the replacement to this was spawn zones? I'm guessing monsters were always based on spawn zones, and the overland creatures just got put on the same system once it became apparent that virtual procreation was not going to work.

DrSaso

Master
Wonder if it would be possible to shoehorn the code back in..... with a server population a little bit lower than the tens, hundreds of thousands they had dive om the server# it might actually stand a chance now?

Such an intersting mechanic!

Glassyalabolas

Neophyte
Wonder if it would be possible to shoehorn the code back in..... with a server population a little bit lower than the tens, hundreds of thousands they had dive om the server# it might actually stand a chance now?

Such an intersting mechanic!

Even here, I'm not sure it would work. First off this server is pretty populated; look how hard it is to place anything other than a small house. Second, tamers often kill their tames to induce respawns. That would stop working here. On such a tamer-heavy shard, people would complain about not having enough to tame if autospawning was removed.

Young Star

Grandmaster
I take this not as an example that we ruined the ecology but as a neat concept that just didnt work in practice. It was smart of them to not remain stubborn about forcing something that just wasnt working.