How important is dex for lockpicking?

FeyRogue

Neophyte
I'd like to go treasure hunter, but I also want Mage/Med. So I would need to be like 100s/25d/100i.
If I did that, would it screw with my ability to lockpick?

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Dexterity has no effect on lock picking success once gm. (You will want gm as it can bee achieved from a few hours of macros on a player created lock picking kit)

halygon

Grandmaster
To add to this - Dex does not affect lockpicking at all - using it that is. Dex does increase the Skill level above "Real skill" until you get to GM -- where both are the same.

It is advantageous to have as low of dex as possible and lock it low while training lockpicking so that you can raise your real skill as high as possible before hitting that 95 skill level (where you have to then use either SS or pick dungeon chests).

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Don't want to say staff is wrong but.. ya that's not really correct.
You can do whatever you want with your dex now that 120 tinker is available. If you buy a lp training kit with 4 boxes including a 120 tinker you can gm lp quickly and not use any scrolls not matter what dex you have.
@halygon information was correct before tinker ps were added but now you don't need to worry about the last 5 points like we used to.

FeyRogue

Neophyte
Ive been scouring for a gm box. So far, no luck. So I have been doing tinkering in my spare time.

halygon

Grandmaster
Don't want to say staff is wrong but.. ya that's not really correct.
You can do whatever you want with your dex now that 120 tinker is available. If you buy a lp training kit with 4 boxes including a 120 tinker you can gm lp quickly and not use any scrolls not matter what dex you have.
@halygon information was correct before tinker ps were added but now you don't need to worry about the last 5 points like we used to.
I stand corrected. Thank you.

Zibzug

Neophyte
Curious what a lockpicking kit would go for. I have a set of boxes from 55, 65, 75, 85, 95, and 100 Tinkering skill that I recently used to level LP. Next step is getting the cash together to get those Tinkering PS and begin working on the post 100 work.