How does crafting magic bows work exactly?

StefanProdan

Apprentice
I just hit GM bowcraft and I have a lot of colored woods piled up and I'm wondering what I need to do exactly to make magic bows. Do I just make them from the wood and it happens sometimes automatically or what?

It's ok if I make them in the Britain area so they might also be a slayer weapon right?

halygon

Grandmaster
Take colored woods and craft bows with them. The rarer the wood, the higher chance at a good magical bow. If you make them in the Brit Crafters area, then you have a chance at making a slayer bow as usual.

StefanProdan

Apprentice
Are all magic slayers generated that way? Like I saw a silver xbow of power, is that just something that can be generated normally in the loot table or was that crafted somehow?

amonseti

Grandmaster
Are all magic slayers generated that way? Like I saw a silver xbow of power, is that just something that can be generated normally in the loot table or was that crafted somehow?
Likely a looted one from spawn.. exspecially if the xbow was standard color. Using standard wood will never yield bows with magical propertys, only a chance at being an exceptional slayer when made in brit crafting area. which works out to being slightly more powerfull then a standard force slayer bow.
However it is theoretically possible to craft such an xbow if your extreamly luck and using Frost wood.
So if you were lucky enough to craft an exceptional silver power slayer that weapon would be fucking awsome as it would far exceed the damage of a standard vanq bow.
And yes using frost would does have a miniscule chance at producing an exceptional vanquishing silver supremly accurate indestructable bow (must be in brit crafting area for the slayer chance). such a bow would easily 1 hit lichs and turn lich lords into mongbats . but who would ever bring such a bow out to the field its value would be insain.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanProdan

Apprentice
So frostwood only generates power bows? Those are only worth 3-5k right, if that?

Seems kinda messed up that you have to use literally 3500 gold worth of rare wood to MAYBE make a magic weapon worth 3-5k. I understand that since bowcraft only goes up to 100 that they don't want to make it too easy but I dunno, something about the economics of the rare logs and bows you can make from them seems pretty wonky.

eppy

Grandmaster
Slayer bows are already very profitable and there are many uses for the rare woods. Making them any easier would also make the runic people mad. Maybe this isn't the perfect balance but it is a try.

StefanProdan

Apprentice
I'm not talking about changing slayers , I think their cost and benefit is reasonably balanced, I mean the generation of magic weapons. As it is, I don't have an issue with the woods difficulty per se but there is basically 0 reason to ever actually use the woods on bows because you will have to use thousands of gold worth of wood on each bow that is most of the time not even going to make a magic bow.

StefanProdan

Apprentice
I guess what I'm saying is I either think that colored woods should have a higher % of making magic bows, or that we should let fletching be able to go to 120 like other crafting things and make it that the higher your bowcraft is, the higher your chance of making a magic bow or something like that.

I don't know what the current chance of making magic bows is, I'm guessing it's 10-20% based on messing around with oak bows. I don't know if the chance is higher or lower with better woods. Let's say it's higher and that it's 25%. That means you have to use literally 14000 gold (28 wood * 500 each) worth of wood on average to make a magic bow out of frostwood, which is going to end up with a bow that will probably not be worth nearly that much if it isn't a slayer. I've only been on the shard a few days but I've literally seen power bows all over the place for 2-3000 gold, 5-6k gold for the very high accuracy ones.

amonseti

Grandmaster
Slayer bows are already very profitable and there are many uses for the rare woods. Making them any easier would also make the runic people mad. Maybe this isn't the perfect balance but it is a try.
well yes but no Frost wood does have a chance to make power weapons and so does bloodwood ... frost wood on a perfact roll can produce vanq bows. or less ..

StefanProdan

Apprentice
I mean that's cool but it doesn't really change what I'm saying. I've seen vanq bows for 5-6k also.

I guess what I'm saying is, if they're afraid to make it easier to craft magic bows because they don't want magic bows to be too common, that ship already sailed. They are common as hell and really cheap, so as it is right now there's just no reason to waste really good rare wood on trying to make one unless you think someone is gonna pay a ton for it based on aesthetics and rarity. I'm not sure if they would or not, but they would have to for it to be even worth trying.