Horse Barding

Thinkman

Apprentice
I like to share a mini project I have been developing over the past days: Horse Barding for common horses of Britania.My motivation for this work was very well demonstrated by an impressive amount of members of our community, in this poll created by @Sir. : https://www.uoforum.com/threads/horse-barding-deeds.95892/

Yes sorry swamp dragon, you look hideous and nobody likes you.

And if we replace you with another animal, and graphic nobody will miss you (except some wierdos I'm sure exist out there)

Walk_Right.gif

This is one of the animations. It requires a hefty amount of frames to import even just one animated object to UO, and I did my best to complete some of them, hopefuly enough to showcase the suggested item. I tried to match graphic and design style of UO platemail: Simple and shiny metal, contoured edges and dark shadows.

A1S.gif Walk_Down_wb.gif Walk_RightDown.gif

I modeled it 3D and rendered each frame, making later modifications possible. For example banners (Hail Knights)

Walk_Right_Banner.gif

As well as other hues:

Walk_RightDown_Gold.gif Walk_RightDown_Valorite.gif Walk_RightDown_Verite.gif

Here is an ingame look, couldn't take appropriate screenshots since I'm currently at work (Don't ask how the hell I am doing these stuff at work please, we all have methods):

InGame_Gold.jpg

I started this because people liked the 'pickled heads' I did before. So thanks to anyone who showed interest to that tread, especially @Shane (very nice of him in my opinion)

And of course thanks to Knights and @Sir. for their support and suggestions. Here is a Knight riding to war.

InGame_AxerRide.jpg

Now if you like it, and staff likes it, and they offer me some guidance towards implementing such a thing in the game, I will try my best. If not I hope you all enjoyed it and see you around in Britania!

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I love your ambition, and you've got a great skill set - and I love the idea of horse barding, but there's something about your barding that seems off to me - I think it's because the head, probably the part you want to protect the most on your horse is uncovered, and the sides being covered in plate will make a horse hard to maneuver in battle.. and without a rider on your armor, it really looks awkward on the horse.. Let em turn these criticisms into something constructive before this seems too negative though!

I'd take my inspiration from something like the below pic - good coverage on the rear, which you've already got rendered there, and can put great artwork, coverage at the front, which you've rendered well already I think, remove some of the side barding, to just show the saddle, and add something to cover the horses head, so he can deflect a lance if needed!

Picture+235.jpg

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Also, keep in mind the swamp dragon armor, really isn't pronounced, they made a point of keeping it really contoured to the swamp dragon - maybe it was just easier because they look armored already, and they just needed to change color.

Maybe less pronounced, and more contoured to the horse, though I love the way your armor looks like it's shifting while the horse is bucking, showing it's actual armor, and not his body..

uo-pic-swampy.jpg
upload_2018-4-25_11-0-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-25_10-58-58.png
    upload_2018-4-25_10-58-58.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2018-4-25_11-0-11.png
    upload_2018-4-25_11-0-11.png
    253.9 KB · Views: 3

Kyain

Master
I'm literally just going to 2nd everything Avalon said. I love the concept and the idea, but it does seem off with no helm for the horse. I'm honestly not sure if anything else has to change other then just adding the helm, as I'm not a really visual person in regards to that (like I have to see something, I can't just picture it type way)

Thinkman

Apprentice
Thanks guys!

I left the head out because its hard! Did you see how our common horses twist their head when dying and bend it while eating? Maybe I can try it later.