Honestly will be shocked if Staff follows through on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
"Before I begin I would like to state there has been a general discontent among staff, myself included, with the way people are conducting themselves in this forum section. If you find your post deleted, consider that in the future this will most likely constitute a warning, or a forum ban." ~Blair

There are some people in particular that respond in post in extremely childish,cruel and vulgar manners. Most of the post are not productive to the topics .Even when I have been personally attacked I do not report, however: it does not mean I think, its right . However I can verbally defend myself without resorting to cussing,name calling or irl attacks I.E someone spouse is fat or sucks D on the corner.

I do think its staff's job to moderate which they seldom do unless, it is because of people posting negative things against the server.
To say they have been lax would be generous. I read rl attacks against a someone the other day,actually several and nothing was done.... Why were they attacked ? simply because they expressed their opinion, there was no need for the level of sh&t they got.

To say this is a family friendly server would be a untruth, if I had a kid playing here for sure I would never let him read the sh&t people post here.

If you want that kind of negativity,which has been a staple for the pvp community since time immemorial why not have that kind of Personal slander and name calling set for just one venue. and name it Sh&tfest or whatever. But having to read post by the same couple of people {BLEED} over into regular forums seems anti productive in the very least.

I may not play right now, but I still consider this my server and it is where I have donated money and will continue to do so when I have time to play.

@Blair @Swayze @Shane @Skye Wolfbane or any other staff care to comment?

I honestly think this is the most active server and want it to stay that way...but people being counter productive to making sure the server stays healthy will not make it happen.
Flame me if you do not agree but please use your critical thinking, intellect and language skills I.E tell me why I am wrong.

Look what happened when Ryan stopped caring.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
I'm no longer staff but I agree with what you said and really a reason I am not staff was because of having to deal with the flaming and the crying and the RL attacks and general behaviour one would see in the detention class after school by middle school students. It made me start to hate the game.

There was a Flames and Rants area and really, it was nothing different than you see now and it still spilled out because asshats are not contained to one thread. The PVP forum is basically the shit talking thread now. Doesn't matter what you call the forum. It was decided we didn't really need TWO of those types of forums.

That said, I think things are better now than it was since some of the biggest offenders have been banned.

I will share a moderator secret. It's almost impossible for one or two mods to control every thread. When I was doing it, I generally checked the area where reported threads were. My thought process was, I'll deal with those threads that have offended someone enough for them to report it. So if you see something, report the thread. They are generally the first looked at.

The forums are often the first place people look at when checking out a shard. And as much as we don't like it, there are those that want to see plenty of e-peen comparrisons and flaming. It means it's active and there's pvp to be had.

Obviously, staff won't want people to read negative comments about the shard for PR purposes. So I understand why some of those threads are removed. I do think, however, that if they want that off the forums, then they should be a bit more easily reached via IRC or PM so people can contact them with concerns directly. Maybe make a private forum, sort of like how it works for reported threads. Where someone can post and it's only seen by staff. The OP can only see their post and a reply. I'm sure that's possible. That way it's off the forums.

I can only guess how many PMs Shane, Adam, et all get on a daily basis but if there are certain topics they don't want on the forums, maybe there's a way to address them. I don't spend a lot of time in IRC but I know some of the Mods and GMs do, so try contacting them personally with concerns that might could be viewed as negativity in the public light.

The good news is, I've found most of the community on the game itself to be different than the forum community regulars.

CAPTUN AUSTRALIA

Grandmaster
"Before I begin I would like to state there has been a general discontent among staff, myself included, with the way people are conducting themselves in this forum section. If you find your post deleted, consider that in the future this will most likely constitute a warning, or a forum ban." ~Blair

There are some people in particular that respond in post in extremely childish,cruel and vulgar manners. Most of the post are not productive to the topics .Even when I have been personally attacked I do not report however: it does not think I mean its right but I can verbally defend myself without resorting to cussing,name calling or irl attacks I.E someone spouse is fat or sucks D on the corner.

I do think its staff's job to moderate which they seldom do unless, it is because of people posting negative things against the server.
To say they have been lax would be generous. I read rl attacks against a someone the other day,actually several and nothing was done.... Why were they attacked ? simply because they expressed their opinion, there was no need for the level of sh&t they got.

To say this is a family friendly server would be a untruth, if I had a kid playing here for sure I would never let him read the sh&t people post here.

If you want that kind of negativity,which has been a staple for the pvp community since time immemorial why not have that kind of Personal slander and name calling set for just one venue. and name it Sh&tfest or whatever. But having to read post by the same couple of people {BLEED} over into regular forums seems anti productive in the very least.

I may not play right now, but I still consider this my server and it is where I have donated money and will continue to do so when I have time to play.

I honestly think this is the most active server and want it to stay that way...but people being counter productive to making sure the server stays healthy will not make it happen.

I actually find some of the personal attack's hilarious, a lot of it is in good fun (well i interpret it that way, but im AUSTRALIAN, not some weak yankee), but some people have self esteem issues it appears.

When gamers openly post selfies on forums to seek validation from other wizards they basically are free-game imo (especially if you post in the pvp threads), likewise if you start boasting about how much money you (don't) make, how awesome you are irl etc - then basically you've bought it upon yourself. If you'd also notice, there are some very 'special' people here on UOF, yet they aren't spoken about or touched - because they stay out of heated topics, therefore don't bring the heat upon themselves. It's basically like posting a half naked picture on an open instagram account, then getting upset that people don't think you're totally awesome.... You put it out there...

If you get 'aga stalked', then that is another issue and said stalker should be dealt with.

As to your Ryan comment - yes this is true, but it wasn't anything to do with your personal attacks rant, it was that they hadn't done a thing on the shard in years, then UOF opened up with custom pvm content and obviously an economy with minimal staff corruption (VESPER invasion comes to mind), so basically people jumped ship. IMO, if uoforever did a full reset UOF would have a serious competitor.

MANKRIK

Grandmaster
I actually find some of the personal attack's hilarious, a lot of it is in good fun (well i interpret it that way, but im AUSTRALIAN, not some weak yankee), but some people have self esteem issues it appears.

When gamers openly post selfies on forums to seek validation from other wizards they basically are free-game imo (especially if you post in the pvp threads), likewise if you start boasting about how much money you (don't) make, how awesome you are irl etc - then basically you've bought it upon yourself. If you'd also notice, there are some very 'special' people here on UOF, yet they aren't spoken about or touched - because they stay out of heated topics, therefore don't bring the heat upon themselves. It's basically like posting a half naked picture on an open instagram account, then getting upset that people don't think you're totally awesome.... You put it out there...

If you get 'aga stalked', then that is another issue and said stalker should be dealt with.

As to your Ryan comment - yes this is true, but it wasn't anything to do with your personal attacks rant, it was that they hadn't done a thing on the shard in years, then UOF opened up with custom pvm content and obviously an economy with minimal staff corruption (VESPER invasion comes to mind), so basically people jumped ship. IMO, if uoforever did a full reset UOF would have a serious competitor.

Agreed. The kind of personal attacks that should be off limits are those where people deliberately try to find some details about your life via some external source (Facebook, unlocked photobucket, etc) and then use this against you. If you reveal details about yourself and post selfies to an anonymous message board then someone will inevitably give you shit for it.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster

Thank you for a well thought out post. I do believe you are right on point on many things but I have been reading post in general topic and suggestions and that flaming is just non productive, you and I both know I get flammed by a couple of people relentlessly but I never report them , I make retorts to them in a pretty sensible manner. I feel I dismantle them without cussing and rl attacks. But you know the truth is we all perceive everything based on how we were raised ,environment and so forth.

I personally feel that these kind of attacks should be saved if at all for a special type of forums like a place to rant and rave as insanely as they like but that should come with a warning : enter at your own peril: Cussing ,Name calling, rl slander is tolerated in this Forum.

I just find no reason to be disrespecting each other in general, suggestion or even pvp forums.

I think it would be extremely easy for staff to found a rants and flame wars forum, therefore keeping forums civil like proper discourse should be.

Anyway thank you for your civil imput.@captun Australia

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
Agreed. The kind of personal attacks that should be off limits are those where people deliberately try to find some details about your life via some external source (Facebook, unlocked photobucket, etc) and then use this against you. If you reveal details about yourself and post selfies to an anonymous message board then someone will inevitably give you shit for it.

to a point I agree with you but why would the staff them post this: http://www.uoforum.com/threads/forum-rules-read-me.48556/

The fact is no one should have to feel ashamed of posting pics or of their families and worry that they will have rl shaming attacks. I personally do not care what they say about my picture because the people that have attacked me never posted a pic of their self on intro to the server.

if this is a family friendly shard then be that! if not then say we cater to the pvp sh&t talking crowd....be what you advertise.

Thank you for your im-put.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster

By the way I meant Ryan stopped caring what went on on his server he left it to Mark and his girlfriend to met out justice and well we know how that went. I played over there for a number of years and watched it fall into the toilet.

game mechanics on uoforever were very good imo But all the Akasha debunkle ,the gold bs that went on with Hyru and lysol ,ugg so many things but when it was in its prime......yeah anyway back to topic

Swayze

Grandmaster
We are actually going to be cracking down on a lot of what you mentioned. I have been reporting people quite a bit. The personal attacks are not what this community needs.

CAPTUN AUSTRALIA

Grandmaster
The personal attacks are not what this community needs.

Yea, what we really need is a custom client that removes easy target macros to disrupt the retardation that has become the 'gank mage'. Modern large scale 'pvp' is just ridiculous here.

*note, if retardation offends you personally, then please report to the political correctness chieftain.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
We are actually going to be cracking down on a lot of what you mentioned. I have been reporting people quite a bit. The personal attacks are not what this community needs.

I hope you do and I know its a tough job. I watch some of the pvmers post simple replies and then have to contend with extremely unwarranted attacks, they have a right to freely express their opinion as much as the pvpers. No class is better than the other and who knows they may have a gem to contribute but they never will if shamed into not posting.

The thing with staff I do not think you should be telling the person who is getting warned the name of the person that reported them. I know the first and last time I reported someone, the person knew and had been told I was the one reported them. and it had nothing to do with me or any post I made.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
Yea, what we really need is a custom client that removes easy target macros to disrupt the retardation that has become the 'gank mage'. Modern large scale 'pvp' is just ridiculous here.

*note, if retardation offends you personally, then please report to the political correctness chieftain.

Closest target sucks....

Caso

Grandmaster

There are some people in particular that respond in post in extremely childish,cruel and vulgar manners. Most of the post are not productive to the topics .Even when I have been personally attacked I do not report however: it does not think I mean its right but I can verbally defend myself without resorting to cussing,name calling or irl attacks I.E someone spouse is fat or sucks D on the corner.

Flame me if you do not agree but please use you critical thinking, intellect and language skills I.E tell me why I am wrong.

Welcome to the Internet.

If you don't want to join in a shitfest then don't post on the heated arguments. @Bromista gets everything he deserves.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
Welcome to the Internet.

If you don't want to join in a shitfest then don't post on the heated arguments. @Bromista gets everything he deserves.

lol I been on the internet since you were in 5th grade..not a insult lol just s funny fact. The binging sound to connect was almost a Pavloven affect.
dial-up...anyway.

My main concern ,what was posted in suggestions and some other general chat. People ruthlessly bashing people on a tamer topic...yeah it was not in pvp. Even so the attacks on Bro's wife I do not feel are" game related" and that is crossing a line had he said your toon has a fat ass and sucks ogers dicks that would have been funny and fine... I know I have said some thing I had to re-evaluate, such as telling someone to get a life ect. and I will not be doing that any longer but those are not the types of attacks I am addressing . I am talking about cruel pointless shit that does not IMPROVE anything ...it adds nothing to the game or community.

In this case saying " welcome to the internet "is meaningless it is just a catch phrase that means nothing. I truly feel that if you want to bash people in that kind of shaming and derogatory manner than have a specific place to do it, it is just not fitting in open forums. I know SP had a off-site forum for that sh*t cannnot remember the name , and uoforever did as well . and All the sh*t talkers were happy....they all had their place to be social with like minds.

However I do apprecite your imput

I agree that people shouldnt bring up irl shit on here. Even if you think they deserve it somehow. It doesnt just make that person uncomfortable, but can affect others as well. I am an extremely active and healthy person(for the most part) but others that are really good people may not be and get offended or insecure when they see their peers judged so harshly on what is typically an escape for them.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
Thank you, all of you that were able to make a post that was insightful and helpful ,that is contributing in a intelligent and meaningful way. I wish the people that were bashed in Cinders post would have some input but I suppose they have been put off already.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I've done a fair amount of milking bad behaviour out of people on these forums.

Is it a bad look in the short term? Perhaps.

Has it exposed the people that have proven they can't handle GAME related smack-talk and take if straight to RL time and time again? Absolutely.

Words cannot express how saddened for humanity I am when I read shit like this

@Caso said:
Welcome to the Internet.

If you don't want to join in a shitfest then don't post on the heated arguments.@Bromista gets everything he deserves.

How do think that's gonna look if staff actually followed through with what they said? Fat chance I know but someone like you with multiple perma forum bans is gonna be the first one with your back against the wall.

Like...some nerve being obsessed with peoples RL right out of the gate then saying oh well he had it coming.

That's why once the RL attacks got heavy you were baited, reported, and banned. You don't deserve the privilege of having a voice and that's the long and the short of it.

Peace, man. It has been fun watching you not be able to conduct yourself like an adult.

Bromista

Grandmaster
This is somewhat incorrect.

There is a fine line between "it's all in good fun" with exchanges between someone who puts themselves out there and the degenerates of the forums and an "innocent bystander" who is going to see these public displays and be turned off by them. Or maybe even feel attacked by them.

Bad for business.

See the reaponse by @Czech Razor above...there is a problem when this pattern of behavior has implications larger than the audience it was intended for. Something your fellow Australians have excelled at unprovoked from day one.

I know how people operate and if you show just the littlest sign that someone is getting to you they are gonna pick and pick and pick. In the end who cares who the intended recipient of that picking is when it repeatedly blows out of proportion and spills into public domain? It's still ugly.

Can you imagine someone not being able to handle some in-game shit talk?

That's why I played forum vigilante for a minute and got people banned for their bullshit. Gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette but I feel overall I have done a good job of only baiting and responding to attacks and not be the one attacking ppl outright.

Again, is that the best look? Maybe not at times but it was with good intentions.

Do you think any of these clowns would show any sign of fault for playing their part like I just did? Fuck no. They aren't ***** Americans. They are Aussies. They are strong keyboard wizards and you can get fucked except only not because you are also Australian and thus the best there ever was so excuse me for addressing you directly sir. Pls forgibe i r just a dum fctory wrkr.

I have let it go lately and quit reporting because it's the wild fucking west and I feel like staff have up long ago. That may have been the best move because left unchecked these guys have really been showing their asses lately. If staff follows through...well one can hope I guess.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
You know, UOForever has garnered quite the reputation for its toxicity, sadly down to a handful of people who still think they are living back in 1997. Ultima Online back in those days *can't say that I have experienced that year, I started late 1999, early 2000* was a completely new, invigorating, hardcore experience where it was more than possible to make a name for yourself and sometimes even putting a few extra real life coppers in your pocket. That mentality for some, is relatively unchanged but with the added disadvantage of evolving in a bubble without stopping to think if that evolutionary path they are on has somewhat become outdated.

Time and time again a few of us have tried to shine a light down into the murky abyss where potty mouthed people play, the singular goal which attempts to throw a safety line down to help them raise above the complete stupidity and immaturity which resides down there. The sad thing is, this will not go away without serious intervention from the powers at be, even with that intervention, comes serious problems. Someone gets banned, they attempt to DDoS the server which then screws everyone up, they get warned and they think it is some form of ASBO, a title to brag about even when the idea surrounding was supposed to be used as a form of punishment.

I mean, take a look at some of the conversations surrounding being banned on Ultima Online, to some, this is a right of passage...

In Short :

Banning = Brownie points
Getting a warning = Brownie points
Finding out something about someone in the real world = Major Brownie points
Abusing staff = Gold star
Getting away with abusing staff = Platinum Star
Self professed troll = Brownie points
DDoS Server = Road to royalty
Getting squelched/muted/ignored = Brownie points / Silver star

Brownie points in modern usage are a hypothetical social currency, which can be acquired by doing good deeds or earning favor in the eyes of another, often one's superior.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
What did I learn during my ban? How much I let the bi-product of negativity and rage of other players get to me. I take full responsibility for what I say and said in the past, but it was still heavily influenced by the egg shells other walked on. This server deserves a healthy community. Crossing the line is not something you teach your children hopefully. I've had various ages of players in the guilds I've run. Some were stuck in a rebellious 16 year old state. Some were 16 with a good head on their shoulders, better than the adults.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Hrmm. I'm torn.

Apparently staff here is pretty good as far as free servers go. They do a sufficient job in most areas. They deserve a somewhat better community.

The community here is pretty decent overall, but rather quiet. The vocal minority is a gag reel of shitty human behavior. Community deserves what it gets.

So. That being said I'll just go ahead and take this opportunity to ban myself. No more guides, no more questions answered, no more detailed information, no more shitposts. Just gonna play this game and engage in this community for myself. Fuck everybody else anyway.

You might see a few selling posts. Maybe some buying posts. That's about it.

Who wins? The handful of examples of human garbage that lurk here. Mark this as a victory for yourselves.

Who loses? Everybody else. Sorry about your luck.

Am I serious? Who knows. Does it illustrate a point? Who cares, I've got one foot out the door anyway. May not be around long enough to see if too little too late was sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.