Have no idea what im doing...

Firegod

Hello all.

My name is Chris. I am in my 30s and played UO back in the day of 3rd Dawn.

My wife just blessed us with twins, so i decided I wanted to play a game that I could easily get up and down from without hassle. For years i have been playing League of Legends, but since that takes quite a bit of time that demands you be at the computer for a least a solid hour straight, I decided to go the FreeMMORPG rout.

I was playing a game called Cabal 2, and just found out that the servers will be shutting down in a few months or less due to the game not being as popular as they would have liked.

Disappointed, I decided to download UOForever because I heard that it was a nice mix of the orginal UO with new things added.

However, now that I am playing the game, i remembered why I love the game so much, but had such a hard time with it at the same time. There is alot that I have forgot about and the game seems like another language to me now lol

What I have become so used to is have a :routine" dungeon crawler experience. Create a character, level up, do quests and raid dungeons getting awesome rare items while gathering materials to craft in the process. Generally you raid the same dungeon over and over again to obtain a certain items and either collect or sell them.

Most games nowadays are set up with "gray item is normal, gold item is legendary" or some of the such. Generally there is a beginners quest (which I have done, ive slain the dragon) and then after that there is a "story" quest that you go through.

Welp....now that I am back in UO, these things seem to exist in different ways and its confusing me at the moment. ive read that there are rare items, but the items seem to be statues? or visual in nature (dont know if there are rare weapons or armor), I have no idea if there are any quests after slaying the dragon cause I cant seem to locate the place to go to get quests (and honestly I am not even sure if the game recognizes that I completed the beginner quest.) im in the begging dungeon but dont know how long I should stay here killing mummies, and I have never been interested in PVP, but it seems that the only way to be successful in pvp is to have a archer or a mage (neither class I am very fond of),

Really hoping i can get back on the horse and relearn this game. Right now it says im Grandmaster Swordsman if that means anything, so I guess I will go from there.

Game is looking good so far, you guys seem to be doing a great job.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Welcomne to UOF!

Click the wiki link at the top of the page, there's a ton of useful information there, but in regards to understanding what is valuable, what isn't in a game like UO, the unique part about this game is that value is truly in the eye of the buyer, because people set their own goals in a game like UO..

Things of value in the game, powerscrolls (take your skill beyound GM), relics (add them to meta talismans to make them more powerful, can find them on MoTM, champs, dungeon altars ), aesthetic stuff like special cloths or spellbooks (can find them on (MoTM) Monster of the Month), meta pets (powerful creatures for tamers), magic weapons (supremely vanquishing slayer types), portal fragments (put 5 together, make a random dungeon for epic loot)...

It's not really an easy thing to summarize all together, I'd be happy to talk to you over discord, because it's much easier to answer questions. However as a PvM adventurer, you should look into the meta talismans, the defenser or the berzerker (depending on you playstyle). They are kind of the end game goals, and most other things lead towards those paths..