Hard Saves

I suppose this is a question for the GM's. Is it not possible to soft save on this server? I know OSI has it, where it doesnt stop the world to save. Just curious, thanks :)

Bromista

Grandmaster
Wasn't that what part of the server startup in the wee hrs of the morning on OSI? I thought that time was used for both worldsaves and patches?

Hard saves, that is. I didn't realize there were other saves, thought they were only once daily at like 5-6a.m. (on Chessy anyway)

It's been a long time though...

Hmm, they definatley had soft saves cuz if they had to revert sometimes they wouldnt go all the way back to the previous day.

Adrosi

Neophyte
When I started the world saves were 3seconds. Now at times they are upwards of almost 10. I'll be able to rub one off during the wait pretty soon.

Finch

Apprentice
Wasn't that what part of the server startup in the wee hrs of the morning on OSI? I thought that time was used for both worldsaves and patches?

Hard saves, that is. I didn't realize there were other saves, thought they were only once daily at like 5-6a.m. (on Chessy anyway)

It's been a long time though...

Yes, it was.

halygon

Grandmaster
I've never looked into the runuo code, but I understood that it runs on MYSQL(Free) for the database. It could be that OSI runs on Microsoft SQL sever($6k) and can do transactional database backups on the fly, thus giving them a way to restore to a previous save and have no saving "freezes". Just a guess on my part.

I've never looked into the runuo code, but I understood that it runs on MYSQL(Free) for the database. It could be that OSI runs on Microsoft SQL sever($6k) and can do transactional database backups on the fly, thus giving them a way to restore to a previous save and have no saving "freezes". Just a guess on my part.
This is a good guess. Wish we could get some insight from the Devs.

S

Shane

I think since the server is super stable these days we might make the saves further apart and wwe have already talked about rebooting at least 1-2 times a week which would include server wars.

jdcalve

Master
I think since the server is super stable these days we might make the saves further apart and wwe have already talked about rebooting at least 1-2 times a week which would include server wars.

Server wars here won't be "server wars" of old where it meant stacking 10 bless clothing/jewelry items and running around with 200str/dex :(

Although it would provide an opportunity for many to venture outside the 20x20 area known as WBB.

EllEssDee

Master
Server wars here won't be "server wars" of old where it meant stacking 10 bless clothing/jewelry items and running around with 200str/dex :(

Although it would provide an opportunity for many to venture outside the 20x20 area known as WBB.

Don't even joke about that. Nowhere is safe outside of WBB. It's like the Village.

When I started the world saves were 3seconds. Now at times they are upwards of almost 10. I'll be able to rub one off during the wait pretty soon.

I clicked like, not because of the thought of you rubbing one off, but the thought we may be doing it together without knowing.

Its kinda like, UO Gloryhole

WOOT!!! We need this Shane. The saves are definately way to close together.