Hally mage question

Wario

Neophyte
As I have seen from other posters, I too have going back to UO after ~15 years away.

I am setting up a hally mage, but I wanted healing vs. the standard template. Now, I am running into a problem because I have 8 skills and I am not sure which to drop. Also, I am not sure if my stats are ideal for this skill template. One note: I know this is traditionally a PvP template, but I am looking for a general character that I can use for PvE, but can handle himself when a red attacks.

Currently, healing takes upwards of 14s to complete for this character, so I am definitely willing to consider dropping it and going the traditional hally mage template. I didn't realize it would be so slow.

Skills:
IntEval - 100
Swords - 100
Mage - 100
Tactics - 80
Anatomy - 80
Med - 80
Healing - 80
Resist Spells - 80

Stats:
Str - 92
Dex - 37
Int - 96

Xonryz

Apprentice
Healing gets a bonus from DEX and skill so yes it's going to be much slower than 100 dex and GM healing.

You also heal about 1/4th as much at 80/80 as you would at 100/100 but that's not a big deal as it's an extra source other than potions and spells which most people have.

With that said you should consider raising your anatomy to 100 so you can have defensive wrestling (GM anat + lore = GM wrestling for defending only) especially since you're planning on getting in their face with a hally. As for what you should drop I'd recommend either swords or tactics as your primary target will be other lightly-armored mages, many of whom skip defensive combat skills. Then again, stunmage (with offensive wrestling) is pretty common.

Tight build, really tough to say. FWIW, precasting and weapon hitting doesn't work here like it did in classic, it was changed for "balance reasons." I believe. So it's a little tougher to pull off now.

Edit: Also I'd really recommend not skipping on resist, and the inclusion of swordsmanship tells me this is a PVP build, and it is in my opinion one of the most important PVP skills.

IntEval - 100
Swords - 80
Mage - 100
Tactics - 70
Anatomy - 100
Med - 70
Healing - 80
Resist Spells - 100

Stats:
Str - 90
Dex - 37
Int - 98

^^ something like that

You go from 130% weapon damage to 120%, lose no hit chance on targets with no combat skill, and ~18% on GM targets (50->41.5%ish) biggest hurt in my opinion is meditation but with bandages and swords I think you'll still be able to outlast other mages. Really kind of sucks to not have GM tactics (150% damage) but with 8 skills hopefully you can make it up with utility.

Last edited by a moderator:

andrey

Neophyte
Tight build, really tough to say. FWIW, precasting and weapon hitting doesn't work here like it did in classic, it was changed for "balance reasons." I believe. So it's a little tougher to pull off now.

Why precast and hitting doesn't work here?

Illy

Master
Isn't passive mana regen quite slow for chars without med?
He's going for 90+ mana how is he supposed to recover it?

Dunno man, hope you weren't planning on wearing more than leather. You're the one that wants to keep healing so bad!

kurtis

Grandmaster
As I have seen from other posters, I too have going back to UO after ~15 years away.

I am setting up a hally mage, but I wanted healing vs. the standard template. Now, I am running into a problem because I have 8 skills and I am not sure which to drop. Also, I am not sure if my stats are ideal for this skill template. One note: I know this is traditionally a PvP template, but I am looking for a general character that I can use for PvE, but can handle himself when a red attacks.

Currently, healing takes upwards of 14s to complete for this character, so I am definitely willing to consider dropping it and going the traditional hally mage template. I didn't realize it would be so slow.

Skills:
IntEval - 100
Swords - 100
Mage - 100
Tactics - 80
Anatomy - 80
Med - 80
Healing - 80
Resist Spells - 80

Stats:
Str - 92
Dex - 37
Int - 96

I think you want the best of both worlds and the sacrifice is just too high, imo. I would drop med and raise dex higher and int lower. Low dex means bandages heal very slow too. You can't be a badass mage and be a dexer with healing...

If your job is to handle yourself against reds, any standard PvP template will do that. But a hally mage with 37 dex with never land a hally hit...sorry to say.

Xonryz

Apprentice
I thought defensive wrestling does not work on this shard. Is that incorrect?
It's SUPPOSED to work. It might not work. *shrug* haven't heard any clarification.

Why precast and hitting doesn't work here?
It was disabled to add diversity, I think. the typical 7x hally mage was pretty undisputedly THE BEST. Don't know the details- not interested in playing another hallymage myself anyway, but I know you seldom see them here either way.

Isn't passive mana regen quite slow for chars without med?
He's going for 90+ mana how is he supposed to recover it?
Yes passive mana regen is quite slow. At GM and 100 int (both are factors) you get 1 mp / sec. There is no bonus for SPECIFICALLY having GM med. So for instance let's say you had 99.9% med- you'd get 0.999 mp / sec. 80 med, 0.8.

Active med is DOUBLE that value, with a chance to fail, unless you're GM. And then I think the lower % mana you are the greater chance you have of failing. Not 100% sure that's accurate to this time period but that seems to be the behavior.

Definitely worth getting it GM but it's not the end of the world to drop it a few pts especially if you're going to be using bandages.

But- not saying the build is perfect either way- just trying to answer questions.

Fenix

Journeyman
My opinion is don't use this build. You're spreading yourself too thin. Hally mages are (sort of) a T2A class :/, here you would be better off going full mage or full dexer, although some still use tanks to good benefit.

Tank:
Mage
Med
Eval
Anatomy
Tactics
Resist
Swords/mace/fence/archery

Mage:
Mage
Med
Eval
Wrestling
Resist
Anatomy
Alchemy/inscription

Dexer:
Wep skill
Anatomy
Tactics
Resist
Healing
Magery
Alchemy/med/hiding/inscription

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yourdaddy

Grandmaster
No need for wrestling in the tank mage build since anat gives you the defensive benefit of the skill, and boosts your DMG with the hally.

Wario

Neophyte
I am convinced. Since I am not a PvPer (I just don't want to have to run away everytime a red pops up on screen), I am thinking:
Provo Mage:
Mage
Med
Eval
Resist
Anatomy
Music
Provo

Str: 100
Dex: 25
Int: 100

Let me know if I am still doing it wrong. :)

Fenix

Journeyman
Looks good. You will be susceptible to mind blast with these stats, and PKs will use it on bards. You could add a little dex and drop a little int, or just keep dex pots on you to lessen the blow a bit. It's only one spell though, and if i was you Id carry as little as possible on me while farming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

halygon

Grandmaster
It's SUPPOSED to work. It might not work. *shrug* haven't heard any clarification.

Yes passive mana regen is quite slow. At GM and 100 int (both are factors) you get 1 mp / sec. There is no bonus for SPECIFICALLY having GM med

Active med is DOUBLE that value, with a chance to fail, unless you're GM. And then I think the lower % mana you are the greater chance you have of failing

Defensive wrestling DOES work here if you have anatomy and evaluating intelligence.

For any Mage builds, you will need to wear magic leather (not studded) or GM leather to be able to regen mana with meditation.

Your int or mana level have nothing to do with your mana regen rate or success rate. This is soley based off of the meditation skill. The higher this skill the less often you will fail to meditate and the faster you will regen mana-- that is the bonus. For a Mage build, GM meditation is recommended as mana is your bread and butter.

Now back to your build. Hally mages are good and work on this shard. God knows I've run into a few. Yes insta hit is disabled here, but that doesn't invalidate the temp.

Hally mages do not have healing.

The problem with using a Hally Mage template for pve/pvm is that it's a Hally Mage template. They are pvp templates that work off the gimmick that one hit from a heavy weapon (halberd for swords) and a follow up spell can do big damage. Try to do this with mobs and you will 1) have a hard time killing em and 2) be laughed at merciliously by other players.

Someone else suggested it , but maybe you should go with more of a dexxor template instead of more of a Mage if a weapon skill is important to ya.

poop.dick

Neophyte
IntEval - 100
Swords - 80
Mage - 100
Tactics - 70
Anatomy - 100
Med - 70
Healing - 80
Resist Spells - 100
Stats:
Str - 90
Dex - 37
Int - 98
^^ something like that
You go from 130% weapon damage to 120%, lose no hit chance on targets with no combat skill, and ~18% on GM targets (50->41.5%ish) biggest hurt in my opinion is meditation but with bandages and swords I think you'll still be able to outlast other mages. Really kind of sucks to not have GM tactics (150% damage) but with 8 skills hopefully you can make it up with utility.

is this true?

im reading this as imabout to finish building my tank mage? does this mean insta hit doesn't work and its just like uoforever? it seems to be like uoforever I was able to:
cast magic arrow, equip weapon,do weapon dmg, last target magic arrow, weapon drops, spell releases, spell does dmg...

halygon

Grandmaster
is this true?

im reading this as imabout to finish building my tank mage? does this mean insta hit doesn't work and its just like uoforever? it seems to be like uoforever I was able to:
cast magic arrow, equip weapon,do weapon dmg, last target magic arrow, weapon drops, spell releases, spell does dmg...
Yeah, no insta hit unless you are in a t2a zone - which most of the shard is not.

Also, magic arrow damage is reduced here (like 4-6dmg max) so you might want to look to other spells except for disrupts.

Tank mages are still useful here though and there are still a lot of people that run them.

poop.dick

Neophyte
I was just using magic arrow as a test. What I was confused by, was some replies to the topic question, saying that precasting and swinging with a weapon is messed up/no precasting/swing to add diversity to classes, which led me to believe that it was not possible to precast a spell and equip a weapon,or something along those lines. But after testing, im guessing the reason why some players think the tank mage template isnt viable, is due to the lack of insta hit. UOF's ruleset is more like UOG:H, correct? which is fine I played a tank for a long time on UOG Hybrd