Guide: Fletching

SergeyM

Neophyte
Hi everybody! I have a few questions about bowyer:
what skills should I take when I create a character?
what is the best practice to increase lumberjacking and bowcraft/fletching skills?
Thanks in advance!

dalmuti

Expert
@SergeyM Since nobody has answered you, I'll take a shot. If you are just starting UOF, I'm don't think bowyer is the way to go. The low buy price for NPCs here makes it where it isn't a money maker like it was on OSI shards. Also, because of the dungeon skill gain bonus, most people that GM bowyer do it in a dungeon and just throw the bows away. If you are starting out I would make another template to build up some cash and make your bowyer once you have some cash.

Once you have plenty of cash, it shouldn't matter too much which skills you start your bowyer with since you can pay NPCs to get whatever one's you want up to 50. I would start with at least 1 LJ so that you get a newbie hatchet. Then I would pay NPCs to get to 50 LJ and 50 of other warrior skills then fight in a dungeon to get GM LJ. Then you should buy 105-120 LJ powerscrolls and 20 LJ skill scrolls. This will total about 700k, that's why I would recommend doing this after you have lots of cash from other chars. At 120, you will get valuable frostwood, bloodwood, and heartwood when you go out chopping logs. Chop 100k logs or so and you will have enough to GM bowyer, and you will get about enough of the valuable woods to pay back your investment in the powerscrolls. Craft bows in a dungeon according to this guide and you should GM bowyer quickly.

Alternatively, if you don't want to spend that many hours chopping logs, you can skip LJ and just buy logs from other players. You should be able to get enough to GM it for 150-200k.

If you insist on making a bowyer before you are well established, I can make another post for that, but I think it will be a hard life unless you just love the craft.