*GOLD SINK

Metalhead-

Master
goldoval.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiki

Grandmaster
Sorry Starbaby... it doesn't get rid of gold. it gets rid of items. Getting rid of items means the items that are left now actually become more valuable due to supply and demand.

The only way to have a true gold sink is for things to be bought, with gold, that go into a black hole. Like the gold sink vendor. Items bought there are bought with player gold, and the gold is now gone and removed from the system. Removing items from the system doesn't sink gold.

Hope that helps. :)

Messremb

Grandmaster
Sorry Starbaby... it doesn't get rid of gold. it gets rid of items. Getting rid of items means the items that are left now actually become more valuable due to supply and demand.

The only way to have a true gold sink is for things to be bought, with gold, that go into a black hole. Like the gold sink vendor. Items bought there are bought with player gold, and the gold is now gone and removed from the system. Removing items from the system doesn't sink gold.

Hope that helps. :)

I have to disagree with you Kiki,

If a person trades their gold for an item, that item now holds and equivalent though slightly diminished value to the gold spent. if that item is wearable or house deco the value has not left the economy simply changed forms. instead of 8 mil in someone's bank they wear in on their paper doll, and in a tight spot can use it as currency.

there are 2 great examples of gold sinks here on UOF, the raffle system, and the slot machines. More gold goes in than the value of the items that come out.

in order for purchasing an item to be a gold sink, the item would have to be non-transferable, and therefor, of value to nobody but the owner. then the value of the item is removed from the in game economy.

removing IDOC items would sink some of the value out of the in game economy and thus work as a form of gold sink, (while destroying value not gold)

I would hate to see it happen like that though for 2 reasons. First, IDOCs tend to be a great location to get rare items that no longer spawn. this would make those items more difficult to get and drive up the value of them, basically canceling out the point of the removal. (I think this would only be an issue with super rares) Second, many people use IDOCs as a form of income.

but on the other side of the coin, Starbaby is right this would be an effective way to remove gold (value) from the economy.

Needless to say I'm on the fence.

Kiki

Grandmaster
I 100% disagree completely from an economic standpoint. Gold sinks are just what they say. You sink gold into a pit that never comes back. Just because an item holds value, it does not mean the gold isn't gone. The point is to get rid of gold off the server so that we don't have an economy like the old OSI. Get rid of gold, things hold value. Keep gold, and things become outrageously priced and impossible for a new person.

Messremb

Grandmaster
I 100% disagree completely from an economic standpoint. Gold sinks are just what they say. You sink gold into a pit that never comes back. Just because an item holds value, it does not mean the gold isn't gone. The point is to get rid of gold off the server so that we don't have an economy like the old OSI. Get rid of gold, things hold value. Keep gold, and things become outrageously priced and impossible for a new person.

You would be correct if UO were strictly a currency based economy, UO however is a currency\Trade based economy. items that are tied directly to gold have steady values, and those items values remain constant so long as they are tied to a gold cost. I.E. Pure white cloth will always cost just under the 500k per yard (It's cost from the gold sink vendor). Items not tied to Gold cost will fluctuate based on the supply and demand, and the current amount of value in the economy.

lets say an individual had made a pure white robe. you say that gold has been removed from the economy but it has not, it has just changed into pure white robe of slightly less value. so now said player wants a castle so he uses his pure white robe to as 7 mil in a trade for a castle. thus the gold you claim is gone is still being used to drive up the prices of items. if that gold were truly gone, that individual would not have as much value to offer for the castle and the value of the castle would not increase.

Kiki

Grandmaster
you're missing the point. the gold is gone. it is in the hands of the server owners. That is a gold sink.

Messremb

Grandmaster
yea if your goal is just to take out gold you succeeded but you didn't not prevent the inflation of items in the economy, which is the whole point of a gold sink.

Metalhead-

Master
*face palm*

There's a handful of different types of inflation. There is a huge difference between the inflated price of a product based of its rarity (supply and demand) and monetary inflation which is what the team is trying to control. In an online world where gold is constantly re spawned you have monetary inflation. Removing an item "inflates" it's cost but doesn't actually hurt the economy. Pumping an infinite amount of money into a finite world will lead to an inflation rate that continues forever.

You guys may not like it but if you want to stabilize prices you may have to hope for more people getting into gold sinks or consider a gold tax? I'm not am economist by any means but some of you are more confused than I am on how to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starbaby and messremb, by your logic, when an item that holds value is removed from the game, that acts as a gold sink...

that makes no sense. every item holds some kind of value. by your logic, our current gold sinks are useless. if you sink 100k gold into the vendor for an item thaty CLEARLY and rhetorically holds the value of 100k, and get that item in return, how has any gold or "value" been sunken?

a gold sink removes CURRENCY so like kiki says, there isnt an abundance of money in the economy derailing it.

making items disappear from an idoc is fucking stupid and not a gold sink. all that would do is hurt peoples feels when a one of a kind rare or gold or vesper cloth disappears in front of their eyes. how the fuck does that help the economy at all, considering most items from idocs are junk?

Umabel

Novice
starbaby and messremb, by your logic, when an item that holds value is removed from the game, that acts as a gold sink...

that makes no sense. every item holds some kind of value. by your logic, our current gold sinks are useless. if you sink 100k gold into the vendor for an item thaty CLEARLY and rhetorically holds the value of 100k, and get that item in return, how has any gold or "value" been sunken?

a gold sink removes CURRENCY so like kiki says, there isnt an abundance of money in the economy derailing it.

making items disappear from an idoc is fucking stupid and not a gold sink. all that would do is hurt peoples feels when a one of a kind rare or gold or vesper cloth disappears in front of their eyes. how the fuck does that help the economy at all, considering most items from idocs are junk?

Agreed. What the OP is suggesting an item sink, contrary to what he is saying. And the effected item price will greatly depend on what items were removed.

StarBaby

Grandmaster
I didn't create the post to argue my point. You either see it or you don't..
But yes face when items are removed it acts as a gold sink. even if it increases the price of similar items due to scarcity..
Right now I have maybe a 100k in gold.. but I still have over 10mil in liquid assets.
the purpose of a gold sink isn't just to remove gold from the game, It's there to reduce the inflation..

TheFallen

Grandmaster
A good good sink removes gold (or an item bought with gold frequently) continously. The continously is the important part to truly stop inflation. So that leaves us with consumables or taxes on vanity items... As to the specifics I like taxing housing as it is huge , can be done as a very small percentage and have a big impact and although everyone loves there house this is the first vanity item ever to exist in uo.