Give old skills new life

Garatau

Neophyte
One thing that drew me into Ultima Online and kept me there was the unbelievable depth...all the possibilities....it seemed to extend as far as your imagination would allow.

But, after so long, you begin to realize ... some skills just don't really do anything. So, I figured I'd give my 2 cents on ways to modify those skills to make them useful to players. Sorry if the ideas suck :)

Herding. Allow it to scale to certain untameable creatures. This would allow for a whole new level of player mischievousness. Can you picture a Grand Master Shepard bringing a train of Ogre Lords to the front gates of Britain? It should certainly be difficult to shepard "untameable" creatures, and it should be difficult to GM the Herding skill, but I'd love to have a stealth/Sheppard who could wreak havoc on unsuspecting townsfolk & bridge campers alike =)

Taste ID. Could compliment the Cooking skill to help create exquisite cuisines that grant temporary boosts to stats and skills. For example, a GM Cook/Taste ID character could have the chance to create Poached Lobster Tail. A dish that grants a special trait to the one who eats it, such as +10 Fishing Skill for 1 hour, or maybe a different dish that affects Fire Resistance for a certain period of time (for PVP encounters) Alternatively, Taste ID could be a perquisite to reach maximum level cooking.

Forensic Evaluation. Higher levels will aid in the "Detecting Hidden" skill - could be useful for PvP. In the same realm of PvP, GM Forensic Evaluation could grant the chance of occasionally removing a murder - as anyone with an astute knowledge of forensics, who already stands of ill repute, could easily bring themselves to "fuddle" with the crime scene and remove any trace of themselves (Dexter Morgan, anyone?) and finally, for PvP, GM FE could reveal, for a brief time, the magical aura that once surrounded a freshly recalled played, allowing the Evaluater to, in turn, recall to the same spot (think of the movie Jumper). Would make for some seriously interesting PvP encounters.

As far as PvM applications, FE could be used to open up a whole new line of quests where players must evaluate crime scenes to get clues to lead to rewards and treasures.

Item ID: I know wands will "ID" an item for you now, but perhaps a high Item ID skill gives you a better chance of the item having better properties. We could, in turn, see player characters who have GM Item ID, charging for Identifying items.

Camping. A GM Camper is God with an AWP...wait..wrong game. A player with 100 Camping can be viewed as a traveling salesman. They can "set up camp" wherever, and within a specified area around the camp site, set up shop with player vendors for a certain period of time. Perhaps this shouldn't be allowed but in certain areas of town (create a "market" district?) so that Brit Bank doesn't become more littered with spam than it already is =)

Begging. I've always thought a Grand Master Beggar should be able to talk his/her way out of anything, including...murder! PvP application for this would be that GM Beggars cannot be attacked (think of a permanent version of Young Player status) unless they, themselves, are the aggressor. Sure, this might piss off some PK's, but the trade off is that the adventurer is sacrificing 100 skill points in order to avoid being PK'd while mining/hunting/etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

BeerJedi

Grandmaster
Begging. I've always thought a Grand Master Beggar should be able to talk his/her way out of anything, including...murder! PvP application for this would be that GM Beggars cannot be attacked (think of a permanent version of Young Player status) unless they, themselves, are the aggressor. Sure, this might piss off some PK's, but the trade off is that the adventurer is sacrificing 100 skill points in order to avoid being PK'd while mining/hunting/etc.

I love this, but the only way I see this working is if it has a timer. you get 15 seconds of can't punch me in the face then a cool down of 5 minutes.

The second key to it, the only way you get the protection is as the attack occurs, the beggar must quote:

I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me.
He's just a poor boy from a poor family,
Spare him his life from this monstrosity.

otherwise, his 15 second "life spare" doesn't kick in. :D

amonseti

Grandmaster
I love this, but the only way I see this working is if it has a timer. you get 15 seconds of can't punch me in the face then a cool down of 5 minutes.

The second key to it, the only way you get the protection is as the attack occurs, the beggar must quote:

I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me.
He's just a poor boy from a poor family,
Spare him his life from this monstrosity.

otherwise, his 15 second "life spare" doesn't kick in. :D
you have a toon named freddie dont ya ! and i bet hes a Queen :p

crazy-horse

Master

Too close to classic Trammel, this is PK Trammel... its all about making life easier and safer for them. But, maybe a switchoff in order to give meaning back to the virtues. Virtue level vs virtue level. Only a Dread Lord can easily see through the beggings of a glorious lord beggar...
All others only get a scaled chance?

Garatau

Neophyte
Too close to classic Trammel, this is PK Trammel... its all about making life easier and safer for them. But, maybe a switchoff in order to give meaning back to the virtues. Virtue level vs virtue level. Only a Dread Lord can easily see through the beggings of a glorious lord beggar...
All others only get a scaled chance?

I feel like it's a perfect trade, and not close to trammel. I do like the above mentioned adjustment that limits it to a certain time frame, though. I believe that by making it be GM status, dungeon crawlers have to choose between having an "Oh Shit" ability they can quickly use to escape, vs being at 100% strength to take on the dungeon, is a real life choice that adapts well to the game.

But, to each their own =)

Snickle

Grandmaster
Or...
Item ID at GM could ID an entire bag of loot by just targeting the bag.

Spirit speak could add 15% SDI to pvm spell casting. Spell weaving too... A pure pvm mage could get both and have +30% SDI.

They won't ever unbalance pvp here so the taste ID thing wouldn't work.

wil3ur

Grandmaster
I think begging with thievery or lockpicking should increase something somehow. My shade/thief/ninja/beggar GM would be amazing. :(

Wizx13

Grandmaster
0609da596b0007c68a5b11c148b7b52d.jpg

Myth no more[emoji12]
@Snickle