gem of portals

Tantreghan

Grandmaster
So there has not been a thread about this for a bit.

I just bought myself the Gem of Portals with ALL the upgrades.

So the "display active portals upgrade" must show the active portals next to the "enter character name" field on the left. If there is nothing under it, i assume there is no RDA present anywhere. Am i right?

The "Increase Drop Rates" upgrade is fairly self explanatory

The one i really dont understand how it works is the "increase portal search rage". Now i know it increases the search range that is a given but how do I use it to even search for a RDA?

Also why does only 1 Char show up in the Character search? I have used 2 chars in RDA's on the same account but only once char shows up in the search. The other I can not find. Are the stats account wide and just listed under once char?

Bromista

Grandmaster
Say you take your tracker out for a stroll when RDA hunting. You get 30 tiles to track for RDAs. With the tracking upgrade active you are searching for 40 tiles instead. It's not much but worth 250k I suppose, considering the cost of everything else.

Only the name first char on the account will show up. Scores are tallied by account.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Correct.

They also show up no matter what you track for. The logical choice is to track for players as you are less likely to encounter them in the wild than you are animals or monsters. If there are 25 animals on screen and you track for them...the gates may not show up on your track screen even if they are within range.

Elizabeth Gold

Grandmaster
Say you take your tracker out for a stroll when RDA hunting. You get 30 tiles to track for RDAs. With the tracking upgrade active you are searching for 40 tiles instead. It's not much but worth 250k I suppose, considering the cost of everything else.

So without it, you would track 30 tiles in every direction, that means you cover 3481 tiles (30+30-1)² compared to 6241 tiles (40+40-1)²? An upgrade of 79%, seems well worth 250k to me.

Bromista

Grandmaster
So without it, you would track 30 tiles in every direction, that means you cover 3481 tiles (30+30-1)² compared to 6241 tiles (40+40-1)²? An upgrade of 79%, seems well worth 250k to me.
Math is a bit off but it does make the upgrade more appealing when you put it to numbers.

30x30 = 900 tiles square

40x40 = 1600 tiles square

However we are talking about radius so we need to use pi times the square of the radius. So it's more like a 700 tile area for no bonus and 1250 tiles for the bonus.

And yes most if not all of that bonus are tiles tracked outside of the normal viewing area. It does help. And it is only a measly 250k.

Definitely worthwhile and could certainly make enough difference to matter.

Elizabeth Gold

Grandmaster
30/40 tiles in each direction, with one tile overlap:
TM9whPV.png

I don't think UO uses radius distance (could be wrong)

Tantreghan

Grandmaster
So everytime i check my gem of portals under "active portals" kinda at the left side/middle at the top, I never see anything under that. Does that mean there are no active RDA's currently? how do i know when one is active?

Josh D

Grandmaster
Tantreghan,

Display active portals will show you which RDA is open at the moment. The name will disappear when the boss is killed...so the RDA will be up for 5 minutes after that, but will not display on the gem of portals

Increase Search Range is an extra 50% tracking distance (so I was told) but Bromista knows UOF pretty well, so he may be right about it only being 25% extra.

Increase drop rates...They deactivated this a couple of months ago....its just a pointless 2 million gold sink now. Sorry man. It used to increase the relic drop rates in an RDA, and could stack with other people in there so 2 relics could drop in a single RDA (which still sometimes happens, but less likely).

The names shown on the scoreboard are the first character created on that account. All characters who do damage in an RDA count towards that same account's score. For instance Joshman is my original UOF character, he is just a bowcraft fletcher, but Zelda D-ports score is under that accounts name as that is my main PvM toon for RDAs.

If you have anymore RDA questions feel free to PM me.

Tantreghan

Grandmaster
Tantreghan,

Display active portals will show you which RDA is open at the moment. The name will disappear when the boss is killed...so the RDA will be up for 5 minutes after that, but will not display on the gem of portals

Increase Search Range is an extra 50% tracking distance (so I was told) but Bromista knows UOF pretty well, so he may be right about it only being 25% extra.

Increase drop rates...They deactivated this a couple of months ago....its just a pointless 2 million gold sink now. Sorry man. It used to increase the relic drop rates in an RDA, and could stack with other people in there so 2 relics could drop in a single RDA (which still sometimes happens, but less likely).

The names shown on the scoreboard are the first character created on that account. All characters who do damage in an RDA count towards that same account's score. For instance Joshman is my original UOF character, he is just a bowcraft fletcher, but Zelda D-ports score is under that accounts name as that is my main PvM toon for RDAs.

If you have anymore RDA questions feel free to PM me.

The rda shows up under "active portals" as soon as Somone enters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk