Frustrating UOSteam Issues - Any suggestions?

RiskyShizzle

Neophyte
I'm having a heck of a time trying to get UOSteam to work properly. I fixed the low memory error, but I'm left with two glaring problems. I'm on a 17" laptop with a 2560x1440 resolution. I cannot find a resolution that works for me in UOSteam. The following image is the closest I have gotten to being playable and it's at the max UOSteam resolution of 1920x1080:

Screenshot1.jpg

My second issue is the actual UOSteam client. I can't expand it or drag on the corners or tabs. Screenshot2.jpg

Lexington

Grandmaster
Are you trying to get rid of the black squares at the edge of the screen? If so some one posted this awhile back. It works but its an older client and it might have a few bugs.

I use client 7.0.35.23 1500x730 res, whit mod whit increase radius (nor only resolution radius too)

mod.jpg

Here is patched client for no blackcorner (https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ygg38h47h9i6al/clientModdedRadius.rar?dl=0)
Wait file in current in upload need a little bit, my poor connection have slow upload

Last edited:

submarine

Neophyte
I highly recommend reducing your resolution while playing UO. It just makes life easier. Even though your awesome laptop has a super crisp resolution, UO wasn't built for such a resolution. I play on a 27" monitor on 1366x768 system resolution.

This removes black squares, and makes the UI elements to be closer to the size they were meant to be enjoyed. I hate squinting and trying so hard to hover my cursor over certain items in the game, and changing the resolution works well for me. You may choose a different combination of system resolution and game play size window, but I wouldn't recommend playing the game in 2k.

halygon

Grandmaster
  1. Run UOSteam in compatibility mode for windows 7.
  2. UO only allows you to see so many tiles in each direction. As @Lexington mentioned above, there are some "fixes" out there that will allow the black boxes to populate, but even so, you wont see players, mobs, or other things until they come into your "viewable" range. Recommend just reducing window resolution for best play. Keep in mind UO isn't exactly a new game.

RiskyShizzle

Neophyte
Thank you for the suggestions guys! I never thought of reducing my system resolution.... even though that's the most simple solution. :)

halygon

Grandmaster
Thank you for the suggestions guys! I never thought of reducing my system resolution.... even though that's the most simple solution. :)
No, you don't need to reduce your system resolution, just the UOSteam resolution. The scrunched up UOS box text is because you are not running it in compatibility mode -- which allows it to display properly with a large desktop background. My 4k laptop monitor did the same thing but I only had to run UOS in compatibility mode with "Windows 7" as the mode.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/set-compatibility-mode-windows-10

Young Star

Grandmaster
From the looks of your UO steam GUI, you have your fonts set larger than the default or you have the "Scale and layout" setting for text, apps, and other items in your resolution settings set to like 125-150%. That is why the text doesn't seem to fit in the frames of the GUI. The frames don't scale with the font.