Food system - why not?

Edwin Fox

Novice
I was wondering... why not having the food/drink system running? I think it might add a great deal of 'real' feeling to the gameplay - not to mention that taverns would prolly get more rounded up with people interacting there!

Why isn't the food system implemented? That's a sincere question, not meant to taunt or anything.

DrSaso

Master
Eating also gives back stamina :) but if you aren't hungry you can't eat to regain.

There was a drink on osi where it would make you hungry again so you could keep earing... but then again. . easier to chug a refresh pot :p

StegcO

Grandmaster
Because we are in 2018 not anymore in 1997, eating and drinking to avoid starving and die will make UO more like The Sims.

I even hate the fact you still need to drop chicken legs on pets to avoid being wild.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Some of us actually enjoy immersion into our gaming worlds, which is why we play sandbox games.. The year doesn't make any difference on that.

Swayze

Grandmaster
What is the argument? There is a food system currently in place. It isn't as extreme as it was in 1997 but still plays a factor in 2018.

Seems like a happy medium.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Sorry - from my standpoint no complaints Swayze - just meant to counter StegcO making statements that read like he's speaking on behalf of all other players... I'm content where things are. For immersion I happily eat, and drink regularly as though it'll be my last meal in game... :)

Edwin Fox

Novice
What is the argument? There is a food system currently in place. It isn't as extreme as it was in 1997 but still plays a factor in 2018.

Seems like a happy medium.
I partially agree to that... the way it is, I see no use in training Cooking, for example - and that, albeit being just one skill, could be the one of a choice for crafting. Also... about food poisoning - there'd be a lot more plotting, more 'spice', as to speak, if food were to be more demanded by players... thus creating a whole new layer of interaction, conspiracy and roleplay in my opinion.

I used to play in shards that had the food system fully working, and yeah, I still believe that'd add more fun - besides, what a nuisance would it be for people to carry a couple loaves and mutton chops in their backpacks?

Swayze

Grandmaster
I don't think having people to eat/drink regularly adds anything (of course in my opinion). It is just a annoying thing you have to always do that doesn't really give value.

Cooking is useless for sure but it was pretty useless before. If people need to eat, they will just buy a loaf of bread from a vendor at 5gp instead of finding a player vendor who will sell it for 4gp or make a character with cooking on it.

You can still roleplay the way it currently is.

Amalgam

Journeyman
Cooking doesn't have to be useless, even though it's surely destined to be?

The whole act of eating and drinking is ripe for some enhancement - there's plenty of little things that can be done - but whether anyone seems to care enough, and whether the attention could be spared to implementing such things... I'm not sure. It is doomed to be overlooked.

But for the sake of a long-term shard with hopes of an economy, these little things must count for something. What quick and easy changes, I wonder, could be made to enhance cooking, eating and drinking in general? Is there anything that we can agree on?

e.g reset hunger on death?

StegcO

Grandmaster
Yeah stabling them, but its the same, an ancient feature. Feeding/Stabling pets to avoid being wild is nosense for me.

Edwin Fox

Novice
Cooking doesn't have to be useless, even though it's surely destined to be?

The whole act of eating and drinking is ripe for some enhancement - there's plenty of little things that can be done - but whether anyone seems to care enough, and whether the attention could be spared to implementing such things... I'm not sure. It is doomed to be overlooked.

But for the sake of a long-term shard with hopes of an economy, these little things must count for something. What quick and easy changes, I wonder, could be made to enhance cooking, eating and drinking in general? Is there anything that we can agree on?

e.g reset hunger on death?

Sometimes I think it's a shame (and waste) to have so much food laying with monsters, more food than necessary for eating and simply non-profitable for selling... that eventually becomes waste to the system, adding to the amount of objects to be processed by the server

As I see, If people needed to eat more during gameplay
+ Adventurers would loot more for food, reducing object waste to the server (contributing to reducing eventual lags)
+ Food poisoning would make a LOT more sense, leading to more fun (esp. for Thieves/Assassins)
+ People would go to Taverns/Inns/Bakeries more often, increasing interaction among players

And speaking of player interaction, that's something I still miss from the time I played years ago... Cities other than Britannia almost always seem to be empty, and many players just let theirs chars macroing for days w/o even bothering to look at their screens (in a particular case I saw the same guy a whole week, every day, macroing at the same spot and absolutely out of any chance of interaction. (but this is subject for another post)

Back to the food stuff... what other benefits could eating food more often give to the player? I'd like to hear your opinions, gentlepeople