FIshing - About piracy

andrey

Neophyte
I just worked my ass off to save money for a boat, and now I hear there is piracy.
Pirates can really take my ship away?
I thought ships were blessed, can someone clarify all this for me?
Thanks!

Xonryz

Apprentice
Okay so it's KIND of complicated. Ships exist in several forms- deeds, when they're new. As an actual boat, on the ocean, when you place the deed or drydocked ship model. And of course the aforementioned drydocked ship model.

None of those are "blessed" per se. When the ship is placed on the ocean you get a ship key which is used to unlock, control, and recall to the ship - THIS IS BLESSED - there is also one more created in your bank box. So unless you lose that key by giving it to somebody, putting it into a container and getting the container stolen, etc,etc your ship on the ocean is also safe by proxy as you need a key to dock the boat. Tinkers can make copies of the key, they are not blessed however.

People can board your boat using a bug even when they're locked and your hold is unlockable, so don't keep anything of value on it. Piracy at this point in time mainly consists of ganking you and boarding your boat, taking anything you have on you or in your hold. Eventually boats can be completely destroyed, remains to be seen how that will play out. I'd imagine any boat anyone finds will be destroyed.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
As far as galleons are concerned, no one knows 100% what it'll be like. We do know you will be able to sink ships, but not destroy them. Upon taking enough damage, ships will become unlocked for boarding actions. In their sunken state, you will be required to use a repair deed to recover your ship. Classic ships are supposed to be sinkable as well (too many ways to exploit the classics against galleons if not, since cannon cannot fire through classics and cannot damage them). Additionally, after they blessed ship keys, there has been talk ever since of a "prize" system much like the bounty system for reds, whereupon you can pay for your ship back at a set rate, or try and recover your vessel naturally (repairing it before the enemy does or within a time frame). This remains to be seen.

AnsemUO

Grandmaster
Dew you're gonna have to share your boarding secrets with me. Tried to raid a hold two days ago couldn't figure out how to get on :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrey

Neophyte
Okay so it's KIND of complicated. Ships exist in several forms- deeds, when they're new. As an actual boat, on the ocean, when you place the deed or drydocked ship model. And of course the aforementioned drydocked ship model.

None of those are "blessed" per se. When the ship is placed on the ocean you get a ship key which is used to unlock, control, and recall to the ship - THIS IS BLESSED - there is also one more created in your bank box. So unless you lose that key by giving it to somebody, putting it into a container and getting the container stolen, etc,etc your ship on the ocean is also safe by proxy as you need a key to dock the boat. Tinkers can make copies of the key, they are not blessed however.

People can board your boat using a bug even when they're locked and your hold is unlockable, so don't keep anything of value on it. Piracy at this point in time mainly consists of ganking you and boarding your boat, taking anything you have on you or in your hold. Eventually boats can be completely destroyed, remains to be seen how that will play out. I'd imagine any boat anyone finds will be destroyed.

I think I got it, thanks man.

Monopoly

Journeyman
Dew you're gonna have to share your boarding secrets with me. Tried to raid a hold two days ago couldn't figure out how to get on :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They exploit a well known bug, you need to have two ships with you to board a 3rd ship. Kind of dissapointing the game masters let them get away with it. Just google it and you should find a youtube video showing how to exploit the bug. You shouldn't be able to do what B^W does in game...it's kind of sickening that a 'RP' guild resorts to bug exploitation.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
They exploit a well known bug, you need to have two ships with you to board a 3rd ship. Kind of dissapointing the game masters let them get away with it. Just google it and you should find a youtube video showing how to exploit the bug. You shouldn't be able to do what B^W does in game...it's kind of sickening that a 'RP' guild resorts to bug exploitation.
7EPTEJr.jpg

Monopoly

Journeyman
rofl Dewd, seriously you shouldn't consider yourselves to be RPers, just griefers. i bet you can't wait to board vessels legitimately with the expansion eh. Then again, bugs work for you so why change things.

Monopoly

Journeyman
tried that. was unsuccessful.
Ya i didn't think that specific bug worked here, they do it a diff way but it's sort of like that, it's buggier. I was in the guild a long time ago n was like wtf this is ********, and GMs let you get away with this? It's sad..really. And for the record Dewd, you never once boarded me so don't worry I'm not butthurt in any way shape or form. You just go around claiming to be RPers but you're not. Go grief some more or better yet, learn to PvP for real and PK like a man.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Ya i didn't think that specific bug worked here, they do it a diff way but it's sort of like that, it's buggier. I was in the guild a long time ago n was like wtf this is ********, and GMs let you get away with this? It's sad..really. And for the record Dewd, you never once boarded me so don't worry I'm not butthurt in any way shape or form. You just go around claiming to be RPers but you're not. Go grief some more or better yet, learn to PvP for real and PK like a man.
lol wut? No you weren't. I don't even know who you are, aside from someone whose asshole we sailed into, prow first.

Keep talking, though. It's like chicken soup for my ego, if you eat chicken soup cooked from a crybaby tear broth (which I do).

PS: @AnsemUO, that video is exactly how you board ships.

Bapes

Adept
rofl Dewd, seriously you shouldn't consider yourselves to be RPers, just griefers. i bet you can't wait to board vessels legitimately with the expansion eh. Then again, bugs work for you so why change things.

Don't they give you an option to buy a licence though? Doesn't sound like griefing at all to me...

Yoar

Adept
This era of UO unfortunately lacks a legit way to board ships. So when you overpower your enemy you have no means of taking the prize. This just doesn't sound fair to me and this is exactly why the GMs (from my understanding) leave this boarding bug in the game. Now if this bug was only known to a few individuals, it would give an unfair advantage over others. However, Dewderomeny is very open about this bug and demonstrates it to his victims. He even posts screenshots of how to do it on the forums. This turns the 'bug' into a widely known game feature.

Sure, it's not very piraty to crash your boat's side in the bow of your enemy's boat to board it, but for as long as there is no piraty way to board enemy ships, they are forced to use this maneuver for the sake of RP. Don't accuse them of being scammers or griefers, just because they have to resort to this boarding bug. Accuse OSI of poor game design!

Last edited by a moderator:
But, If you see them coming you run to a server line, and then they can't board you right? Not possible on server lines........last I heard anyways.