Everyone arguing and panicing...

Streets

Grandmaster
I think the storm has weathered? For the most part people have said their peace and voiced whatever concerns they may have had. People have vented and exhausted energies to debate their side and opinions.

We may have jumped the gun argued over rumors and speculation? But what ever happens if anything at all I know this is home.

If there is a change they can be reverted if there are no changes we will try to adapt. No matter what people will come people will go. But i am kinda glad everything was laid on the table.

As for the arguing it is unfortunate when things derail but it shows how passionate players are over this shard. If they didn't care they wouldent try (debating on the forums.)

The point is arguing is pointless at this point and I think the admins/devs and owner showed they want the best for the server like most of us. If things do change let's give it a shot it can be changed back. If the change is not what we want, myself included (*cough*fix archery*cough*) it's a ongoing living world things will always change. It maybe baby steps, it maybe 2 steps forward 3 back 4 forward... the point is no matter the path we take we will eventually get there as long as we (players and devs) want to get there.

Good luck to all :)

Cack

Grandmaster
Do you have problems with poo sticking to your fur?
Nope
charmin-stop-skidmarks.jpg

Baby Blue

Master
The point is arguing is pointless at this point and I think the admins/devs and owner showed they want the best for the server like most of us. If things do change let's give it a shot it can be changed back.
Unfortunately, one bad change can cause a lot of damage. I've seen it happening previously. The problem is that the owner hasn't played enough as a player in this shard. Some people just cry too much because dying in this game seems to be such a big deal for them. We have an experienced pvp manager though.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Unfortunately, one bad change can cause a lot of damage. I've seen it happening previously. The problem is that the owner hasn't played enough as a player in this shard. Some people just cry too much because dying in this game seems to be such a big deal for them. We have an experienced pvp manager though.

I don't think it really comes down to if Shane plays or not, I believe it might come down to grabbing the interest from new players into joining the shard, sticking with the shard and ultimately providing donations to bump up the kitty. If people are joining who have no idea of the current state of the PVP scene here and decide to farm, if they die continuously they could potentially send in a page of complaint creating even more problems or they just leave. Trying to find a happy medium with this issue will always be difficult, on the one hand you have to think about the rights of player killers and the risk *fun* they bring into the game, but again you have to think about the PVM scene where new players are concerned and their rights.

Notice how I have not mentioned established PVM players here...

I could be totally wrong, probably I am, but whatever happens will most likely get tweaked or reverted if a sharp drop in the server population is witnessed.

Baby Blue

Master
I think you're right there. Why not change the newbie dungeon then? Let's say new players could enter there until their accounts are 40 days old. Perhaps add a lich or two there even though there's a lot of good pvm spawns which aren't pking hot spots. Create weekly pvp school? pvm school? Some kind of mage quest where you'd learn how to use some spells... So many possibilities.

I don't think pks are the only reason why new players quit. This game is old as hell and relatively hard to get started. So much stuff to learn etc. Some people have played UO for 10-15 years so it's hard to compete against them. They've learned a lot.. That's why we constantly see crying threads about purple potions, stun mages being op and so on. Getting rid of pks or purple potions is not the answer. It's the same in pretty much every game. If I start playing CS now, I won't be a great player anytime soon. You know? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkarna

Grandmaster
I think you're right there. Why not change the newbie dungeon then? Let's say new players could enter there until their accounts are 40 days old. Perhaps add a lich or two there even though there's a lot of good pvm spawns which aren't pking hot spots. Create weekly pvp school? pvm school? Some kind of mage quest where you'd learn how to use some spells... So many possibilities.

I don't think pks are the only reason why new players quit. This game is old as hell and relatively hard to get started. So much stuff to learn etc. Some people have played UO for 10-15 years so it's hard to compete against them. They've learned a lot.. That's why we constantly see crying threads about purple potions, stun mages being op and so on. Getting rid of pks or purple potions is not the answer. It's the same in pretty much every game. If I start playing CS now, I won't be a great player anytime soon. You know? :p

Removing PK's entirely would just be suicide to be honest, people will always be pissed off when they die in game for whatever reason, removing reds would not be the answer. Your suggestions for adding different things though is actually a nice idea but we can not forget that everything required to make this a better place needs to blend across the board. Permanent stat-loss is really not fair as there are some great, battle hardened players on here who are blue and could easily stat many players, stat-loss the way it is fair but easily exploited. Whatever changes would need to be dynamite in terms of creating a path for everyone to pass through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mango

Grandmaster
as mentioned before (and as a non-PK player), I don't believe PK's need to be punished directly. I feel a better approach would be resource based events (ingot, wood, leather turn ins.. or crafted item turnins), ASWELL as including an increase loss of durability to your items once you die.

This not only prevents over-population of items on the server, but will gradually force the full-time pk's with stockpiles of armor/weapons/crafting mats to have to farm a little more often.

In my opinion, this would only work if we did both changes mentioned above together, as to many people have massive stacks of leather/ingots at the moment, to re-craft everything a thousand times over.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
as mentioned before (and as a non-PK player), I don't believe PK's need to be punished directly. I feel a better approach would be resource based events (ingot, wood, leather turn ins.. or crafted item turnins), ASWELL as including an increase loss of durability to your items once you die.

This not only prevents over-population of items on the server, but will gradually force the full-time pk's with stockpiles of armor/weapons/crafting mats to have to farm a little more often.

In my opinion, this would only work if we did both changes mentioned above together, as to many people have massive stacks of leather/ingots at the moment, to re-craft everything a thousand times over.

This is actually a fine idea. A good way to kill two birds with one stone, sort the economy out and allow PK's to experience PK's in a different light..

EDIT: Would also increase the cost of resources... Which is always a good thing ;)